Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 06:50 PM

4 posts, read 12,470 times

Advertisements

I bought my house for almost 240,000 and its currently worth only 175,000. Any suggestions? Can I sell for less and transfer the balance owed to a new loan? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 07:29 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
NO! A mortgage is not a checking account.

The "balance owed" will be due at closing; unless you arrange with your mortgagor for a 'short sale', which means the mortgage holder will 'forgive' the balance.

I suggest you locate a good attorney, and have him/her outline your options.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:41 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,080,207 times
The balance wont necessarily be due at closing. If you short sale, unless you are a really unlikely to ever be able to pay the bank (ie dying, very very old, unemployed with no hope of work - other/etc) they will want you to sign a note for the balance agreed to be due. Then you have to pay them somehow and this should be set up before closing with lender.
This is going to kill you credit wise for another loan, but you don't have much choice. Short Sale or foreclosure will hit your credit hard. You may not get another loan. Have you talked to the lender yet? I am sorry you have this situation, you are clearly not alone, and banks are beginning to realize they have to try and work with owners in this predicament. Your lender should be the first visit, before the attorney. I am not sure why you would need an attorney, they are only going to cost you even more money that you probably dont have already. Look at some of the online money advice sites, I think CNN has a good one, you just have to search it out.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:22 AM

351 posts, read 1,127,172 times
I disagree Lavender - the homeowner should have an attorney negotiate the SS with the lender, there are many issues which are problematic and could benefit from an attorney's involvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay