Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:35 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

Yes- I used to live near that Albertsons off Dale Mabry. Again far n few in the area, and keep to themselves. may be same language, but It is not the same culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 07:40 PM

148 posts, read 377,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
there's even a Synagogue in Lutz whose Rabbi is from a latin american country.
Can you tell me the name? I'm Hispanic and Jewish and we just put an offer on a house in Lutz.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:04 AM

Lutz is a suburb very nice,,, but not sure a latin community is what you will find there

Old 01-23-2013, 06:14 PM

24 posts, read 52,863 times
The American version of the Cuban sandwich originated in Tampa at the Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City in the 1920's, but it's been further developed in the Little Havana barrio of Miami since the 1960's when Fidel took over Cuba. Cuban-American history is older in Tampa than Miami and goes back to the 1890's when the great poet and patriot of Cuba, Jose Marti, lived in Tampa and the Cuban/Italian immigrants had a thriving cigar industry in the Ybor City barrio of Tampa. A small amount of cigars are still made there. Tampa has the third largest concentration of Cubans in the U.S. back of Miami and northern new Jersey.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:14 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
One of the unique hispanic things about living in the TPA area: Cuban sandwiches....!!

Old 01-25-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
yeah clearwater has ALOT of Mexicans, and a huge problem with shopping cart theft.
Not the only ones commiting crimes, shall I start with the pedophiles in the area??? evil has no boundaries, so stop pointing fingers.

I think we have a general population of 26% latino and growing, but I mostly find people have integrated and even become sublime in many areas. You can hear some some spanish, in spots here and there, but yet to see my cafe con leche or colada stand outside a Publix serving pastellitos. When I see that- then I know we are celebrating the hispanic culture! hope I get to find the latino envirorment here in Tampabay,,, so far,, quiet and hidden only with in their circles. It is different than Miami, there you become like a brother,,, or a sister, into the community

Old 01-25-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyntonbob View Post
The American version of the Cuban sandwich originated in Tampa at the Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City in the 1920's, but it's been further developed in the Little Havana barrio of Miami since the 1960's when Fidel took over Cuba. Cuban-American history is older in Tampa than Miami and goes back to the 1890's when the great poet and patriot of Cuba, Jose Marti, lived in Tampa and the Cuban/Italian immigrants had a thriving cigar industry in the Ybor City barrio of Tampa. A small amount of cigars are still made there. Tampa has the third largest concentration of Cubans in the U.S. back of Miami and northern new Jersey.

def not a CUBAN sandwich,, I call them PR sandwiches- close but NO cigar baby... The secret is the the bread!

Old 01-25-2013, 05:53 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Not the only ones commiting crimes, shall I start with the pedophiles in the area??? evil has no boundaries, so stop pointing fingers.

I think we have a general population of 26% latino and growing, but I mostly find people have integrated and even become sublime in many areas. You can hear some some spanish, in spots here and there, but yet to see my cafe con leche or colada stand outside a Publix serving pastellitos. When I see that- then I know we are celebrating the hispanic culture! hope I get to find the latino envirorment here in Tampabay,,, so far,, quiet and hidden only with in their circles. It is different than Miami, there you become like a brother,,, or a sister, into the community
No place is going to be like Miami. Miami is on one extreme. I don't think that you need to a colada stand outside of Publix in order to feel like you're a part of the Hispanic community. Every place is different and that is what makes this country great. You can celebrate your Hispanic culture with Hispanic, white, black, or Asian people that you meet here. And from what I've seen in general and from my Hispanic friends, none of them are hidden away in some quiet room. Get out and do your everyday activities and you'll start to meet them and other people.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
No place is going to be like Miami. Miami is on one extreme. I don't think that you need to a colada stand outside of Publix in order to feel like you're a part of the Hispanic community. Every place is different and that is what makes this country great. You can celebrate your Hispanic culture with Hispanic, white, black, or Asian people that you meet here. And from what I've seen in general and from my Hispanic friends, none of them are hidden away in some quiet room. Get out and do your everyday activities and you'll start to meet them and other people.
I have been here 7 yrs and talk to lots of latinos, but they NOT as friendly as in Miami- Miami- I moved to an apt complex by the next sat everyone having a BBQ on the grounds and as asking me to join in and to bring something, here they wave HI- and move on. I am not 20, so this is part of the problem, but In Miami las Viejas still dress up and go party and by that dost not always mean clubbing, but to the beach, a BBQ at the park, someone back yard... I could go on & on, and lots of latinos agree with me that it is different here, many keep to themselves, so I made it a POINT to ask - and I work PT in a big home improvement store, and it is what it is. I am now looking to see if T&C is better for friendly neighbors! because Northdale, Clearwater, st Pete,,, no go.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:56 PM

Total Population 303,447-- Hispanic or Latino(of any race)58,522
Mexican 6,272-- Puerto Rican 17,527-- Cuban 14,674.--- Other Hispanic or Latino 20,049. Not Hispanic or Latino 244,925 White alone 154,872 from area connect website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay