Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:04 PM

713 posts, read 2,672,915 times

Advertisements

along w/a copy of that student's post. What a nice kid! My heart goes out to him and those like him. Good kids who just want something to do besides computers and drugs and have no positive stimulation! I only wish I knew about this when I was up that way. I would have helped spear head this machine.

ntfeldman, you're right near Spring Hill. Can you get a petition going, (I'll sign) to get this project going. For the sake of our youth!

How many support a Dave and Buster's in Spring Hill, Brooksville area? If so, throw your support behind this. Besides, after that investigative report the TampTrib is doing, the Comish needs a project like this in effor to wipe egg off. Now's the time. There's gorgeous chunks of land right on Cortez! Let's do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 06:15 PM

162 posts, read 678,352 times
Default Dave & Busters

Quote:
Originally Posted by House4Sale View Post
How many support a Dave and Buster's in Spring Hill, Brooksville area? If so, throw your support behind this. Besides, after that investigative report the TampTrib is doing, the Comish needs a project like this in effor to wipe egg off. Now's the time. There's gorgeous chunks of land right on Cortez! Let's do it!
I am all for Dave and Busters! We had one in Philly. My husband's high school reunion was there a few years ago. We had a great time. Not just for the kids! Let's do it. How could we get this ball rolling? Seriously!

Old 06-25-2007, 06:40 PM

Default First off, we need someone in the area.

Cool, debidibly. Are you in the Sp Hill area? I am out of town but can support from afar. Then, a few people attach a couple sheets of paper to a clipboard explaining that the signatures will go to the City Planners to petition a Dave and Busters for kids, teens and the family and how badly it is needed. For those who like to meet and greet, they could either pass it around at work, could stand in front anywhere: parking lots, store fronts that allow it, door to door, intersections (be careful of traffic) and collect signatures. Try to alert the media so they show up, draw a little attention, do an article and the movement gets traction. I might be able to alert media as I have a few contacts there. I just need to where and when.

I have a few ideas up my sleeve that I will utilize once it gets on its way.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:45 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,591,088 times
Dave and Buster's seems like something to think about, but you know here in SH, the senior's rule.........remember Bubba's over on Forest Oaks Blvd. too noisey, too loud and the rifraft that they didn't like......the owner's did everything to appease them and before long the seniors won out and Bubba's
closed.

I would love to see somewhere that the kids could go, have soda's (no alcohol) play pool, listen to music, have snacks and enjoy life a little.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Petition for one on Cortez

Seems that strip likes and can accomodate "big". Strip malls, hospitals, Wal-Mart, movie theater etc.

If the town folks speak, it will drown out the few who don't want it. Then again, Forest Oaks may not have been the best locale for it.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:31 AM

198 posts, read 960,488 times
I'm all for new stores/restaurants, but it seems like a Dave and Busters would be for adults not teens:

(Taken from their website)
This is the Web site of Dave & Buster's, Inc.

Dave & Buster's welcomes all our guests. We respectfully remind you that Dave & Buster's is primarily an adult establishment. We have long-standing house policies relating to the admission, conduct and safety of all guests. Please read and respect the policies listed below. Some stores may have additional guidelines - please contact your location for these additional guidelines.

Guests under the age of 21 (legal drinking age) must be accompanied by a parent or guardian 25 years of age or older, (30 years of age or older for San Jose and Ontario locations), who agrees to be responsible for the conduct and safety of the underage guests.

The following locations enforce a year-round 11 p.m. curfew for guests under the age of 21: Bethesda, Philadelphia, San Jose, Ontario, Chicago, New York City.

One parent or guardian can accompany up to a maximum of four underage guests. (maximum of 3 underage guests in NYC)

Underage guests must remain with their parent or guardian. Our other guests appreciate this, and our insurance carrier requires it.

Guests must behave courteously.

Loud and/or abusive language will not be tolerated.

No pipe or cigar smoking. No snuff or chewing tobacco.

Smoking permitted in designated areas only. Smoking policies vary by location, so check with local stores for information.

We will not admit anyone who is obviously intoxicated. We will gladly arrange taxi service for our guests.

Please observe the following dress code:
Appropriate, clean attire required.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Something would be a start & would be better than nothing.

One step begets another and D & B seems great for the family. Again, something would be better than nothing and would really be a shot in the arm for the area.

Do we have any legal eagles in the bunch? Or someone good with wording? Moving along, can someone draft the header for a signature petition, free to us to use and run copies off? Once we get that going, we have something to put momentum behind.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:30 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,591,088 times
Default From the past

House 4 Sale, as I was sitting last night thinking about the threads posted, I remembered that back in 1989, a parent/bussinessman seen that there was little for the kids of SH to do, and being a parent himself, decided to TRY and do something, he rented a storefront opposite Pizza Hut on US 19, he brought in Gaming machines, pool tables (I think there were 3 o 4) and he set strict rules for the kids to obey or they would be asked to leave and not return. My daughter then 18 got the job of painting murals on the walls and the kids were happy that they would have something to call their own. Of course, there would always a a adult there, but one adult wasn't sooo bad,
when he opened the kids came, things went along good for awhile, but then
some fights broke out, and of course there are those that just have to be obnoxious and rowdie and make it hard for the few that just wanted a place to themselves. The owner was actually lossing money on the whole deal, but he still believed that the kids were worth it.

Before all the seniors from a well known developement started to complain
because when they went to the movies (which was behind the storefront)
they saw kids acting rowdie and there was some noise. Pizza Hut never complained because if the kids wanted something to eat they just walked across the street, paid for food, then returned across the street.
Within months the owner of the strip mall ( a local doctor and his wife)
asked the man to leave, that some of the seniors were patients of his and they didn't appreciate all the kids in that particular area. What was the man to do..........he reluntantly closed the doors and that was the end of a place for the kids to go.

Being a parent with several children, it frustrates me, to see kids sitting in parking lots under the lights (so the deputy's can see there not doing anything other than sitting), these kids are bored out of there minds, I can understand them not wanting to have adult supervision 24/7....most of these kids and I know 3/4 of NCT are good kids, alot are going off to college soon
but in the meantime, they can only go to the parks, Pine Island, the movies
or sit in Dunkin Donuts or Taco Bell. The recreation dept. just started mens basketball team, which is great I saw several seniors already playing in the leagues. But where are the girls? Do they think that only men can play basketball? Yes, frustrated is my middle name, but I don't think anything will ever change in Hernando Cty and its a shame.
s

Old 06-26-2007, 04:21 PM

Default That's sad, Songbird and it would need a bigger name Like Dave and Busters...

who would employ some of those kids and give them a payheck and some self-esteem not to mention something for the family.

I know the plaza you're talking about. I just don't think that area's flash enough to pull in much. Something like D&B needs a decent plot of land cleared and built on with deep parking, lights, ads, brightness, security etc. Big business can afford that.

Kudos to that man who cared about the kids.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:16 PM

Default I called...

Dave and Busters and got in but not sure if to the right desk. Anyway, I left a voicemail. Let's see if he gets back. I told him to come and visit us here or at least peek in.

Okay, no looking glum or stopping so soon. If you think it, you can do it. It's not like there aren't any D&B's around and that we have to invent the concept. The big guns took care of that. All we need to do is support it.

A thought occurred. There's that huge waterslide park on 19 and no one put a kabosh on it and if there was ever noise, that's the place. The thing is to give it enough room far away enough from residents...which they did. Cortez has acres of land that needs stuff on it. Without tearing up all the woods, of course. It can be done. Look at your Cracker Barrel off Cortez near the Waffle House. It's way down that cute winding road and it doesn't bother a soul. In fact it's very welcome. It can be done. Put the momentum behind it.

Okay, now where are those petitions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay