Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 01:38 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine5276 View Post
Well lets see there is a skate board park in Springhill, Antique Car Show, the teens bring their hot rods and Muscel cars there and show them off every thursday at the Ruby Tuesday on Cortez. YMCA, in Springhill, Band Shell at the Teen Hall once a month theres a live band/concert, Coney Island Wednesday Elvis appears, everyother thursday bike nite, Skating rink on Cortez Blvd, 3 Bowling alleys in Hernando County, 2 or 3 Movie Theaters and Springhill has a Theater on Marnier-watch and or be in a play.
Yes, there are things to do in Brooksville/Spring Hill, but if kids don't drive how are they going to get there? The parents have to drive them. At one time I had two kids each playing basketball at the Y......one's game was at the Y the other was at Powell within 20 mins of each other. Being a single parent I ran myself ragged trying to get kids to games/practice. I was putting a 1,000 miles a month on my car.

If this county had a better bus system that ran on Saturdays and had evening hours, it would take the pressure off of parents, many who work 2 jobs just to survive in this county.

I have a 19 yr old daughter, she and her friends all say the same thing, this place is boring, you can usually find her at Delta Park playing a pick up game of basketball or sitting in Dunkin Donuts, chatting with friends. They usually end up at friends homes playing video games and having pizza. They go to Applebee's after 10PM to get lower priced food. I rent movies from Netflix and that one movie may be seen by 20 people before I return it. The kids in this county don't make alot of money so their chooses are few and far between. Many years ago, a gentleman rented a store front across from Pizza Hut, he put in pool tables, soda machine and game machines, it was for those 19 and under, no one over 19 was allowed to enter, as the gentleman didn't want any problems. It was a hit, the kids came, this was a place they could call their own, with few rules other than no loitering, beer or drugs.
Within months the landlord started getting calls from people from Timber Pines that they saw all these kids hanging out on their way to the movies and it distrubed them, what were they up too? There were no problems except one fight I recall, within 7 months the landlord told the owner to shut down as many of his patients from Timber Pines were complaining about the kids that hung out there. I know this because my daughter did all the murals on the walls for the store owner.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 01:51 PM

10 posts, read 28,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine5276 View Post
Well lets see there is a skate board park in Springhill, Antique Car Show, the teens bring their hot rods and Muscel cars there and show them off every thursday at the Ruby Tuesday on Cortez. YMCA, in Springhill, Band Shell at the Teen Hall once a month theres a live band/concert, Coney Island Wednesday Elvis appears, everyother thursday bike nite, Skating rink on Cortez Blvd, 3 Bowling alleys in Hernando County, 2 or 3 Movie Theaters and Springhill has a Theater on Marnier-watch and or be in a play.
Elvis?

I think the problem isn't as much the lack of things to do as it is the lack of public transportation to get kids to and fro. Everything here is so spread out and you certainly cannot walk anywhere here.

What about the beach though? Who is complaining about having a beach 10 minutes away? I can think of some kids in Missouri who would DIE to have a beach at their disposal.

also drive in in Dade City.

Thats where I would be if I were 14.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 17,191 times
Spring hill was not build for kids. When first built it was sopose to only be for retrees. But in the end more family's moved in instead. You cant even hang out anywhere without police bothering you. There is no under 21 clubs in spring hill anymore. The closest i last know of was in Clearwater. There is sort of a rec center in brooksvil call the jerome brown center. I have lived her all my life and when i say this i am serious there is nothing for kids to do without getting in trouble. Its time to change things.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:46 AM

2 posts, read 8,138 times
Default How i see it as a local 15 year old

ay there , i'm new to the forum , dont know if this thread is dead or not but oh well here it goes ........

i agree with you that there is absolutely nothing to do here ... legally .
i'm in silverthorn , next to Powell middle school , and i'll tell you , the only thing here is lots of houses ( mostly older citizens ) a gas station , and some shops ,all the way down the road ...

all me and my small group of friends have to do , is go to each others's houses , get high , get drunk , talk smack about people and Box/ or Fight them, or if its serious ( like getting robbed) small handguns.

now i'm not sure what exactly the solution is , but i think the community as whole will have to get it's priorities right .

( I Know my history so dont doubt it) originally Spring hill , was used by businessmen to ship people (typically retiring couples) from up north , down here in buses , so they could buy a little house and be able to say they had a nice little bit of land down in florida .... this is the problem spring hill is acting as a retirement area , but with the recent booms theyve had more families with younger and younger members coming to live here...

basically the government as well as the community have to decide , will this be a seniors home or a place for everybody to enjoy , young and elderly alike.
they are trying to please everybody (which is impossible) but the odds are in the seniors corner . ( for example that club mentioned earlier that was shut down for too many noise complaints from older residents.)

so whenever us kids get a place to chill and have fun , either it closed down for older residents happiness or the dirty police force has something against us.

I Know if i had a good place to have fun (maybe a daily after-school event or something like that) with a good group of friends, i would quit all of my vices : marijuana , beer , ecstacy , Purple drank , xanax , kolonopin , chewing tobacco , black and milds , cigars and my tendency for violent retaliation.

Last edited by Drank sipper; 07-20-2010 at 02:28 AM..

Old 07-20-2010, 05:45 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drank sipper View Post
ay there , i'm new to the forum , dont know if this thread is dead or not but oh well here it goes ........

i agree with you that there is absolutely nothing to do here ... legally .
i'm in silverthorn , next to Powell middle school , and i'll tell you , the only thing here is lots of houses ( mostly older citizens ) a gas station , and some shops ,all the way down the road ...

all me and my small group of friends have to do , is go to each others's houses , get high , get drunk , talk smack about people and Box/ or Fight them, or if its serious ( like getting robbed) small handguns.

now i'm not sure what exactly the solution is , but i think the community as whole will have to get it's priorities right .

( I Know my history so dont doubt it) originally Spring hill , was used by businessmen to ship people (typically retiring couples) from up north , down here in buses , so they could buy a little house and be able to say they had a nice little bit of land down in florida .... this is the problem spring hill is acting as a retirement area , but with the recent booms theyve had more families with younger and younger members coming to live here...

basically the government as well as the community have to decide , will this be a seniors home or a place for everybody to enjoy , young and elderly alike.
they are trying to please everybody (which is impossible) but the odds are in the seniors corner . ( for example that club mentioned earlier that was shut down for too many noise complaints from older residents.)

so whenever us kids get a place to chill and have fun , either it closed down for older residents happiness or the dirty police force has something against us.

I Know if i had a good place to have fun (maybe a daily after-school event or something like that) with a good group of friends, i would quit all of my vices : marijuana , beer , ecstacy , Purple drank , xanax , kolonopin , chewing tobacco , black and milds , cigars and my tendency for violent retaliation.
It's a shame that some parents don't do their job as parents.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:57 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
The kids must really like the movies. There seems to be a awful lot of them hanging out around the theatre on RT 50 most nights.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,668 times
I am 19 years old and have lived in Spring Hill (namely River Country) my entire life. If it wasn't for a path to the Weeki Wachee River that I need to trespass through one of my neighbor's yard's to get to, my Summer's would have been unbearable growing up. The fun I've found in this community has come from three places; the natural spots like the river and Pine Island, School functions, and house parties. Now that i'm out of school none of my friends go to Pine Island on account of the new generation flooding into it (which is totally understandable), schoole functions are obviously out of the question, so all that leaves are house parties.

If you were to do just a bit of investigating into the lives and community of the teenagers in ALL of the Hernando County schools you could very easily find that students are turning to drugs as a means of entertainment today more than ever. Shockingly profitable drug dealers can be found in every neighborhood, and over the passed two years I've had one friend sent to prison for vehicular manslaughter under the influence of prescription pills and another friend that fell asleep at a party and never woke up.

It isn't fair to blame the elderly community entirely for the lack of things to do in Spring Hill, but i do think the divide between age demographics deserves the majority of the blame. If we don't make our voices heard things will continue on as they have been. If boredom was the only problem with living here I'd consider myself a lucky kid. We have a destructive counter culture in this town and adults have turned a blind eye to it for too long. I don't intend on doing the same.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:11 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
cow tipping

Old 08-06-2014, 01:43 PM

4 posts, read 8,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
It's a shame that some parents don't do their job as parents.
Mike 1306
That is all? " it's a shame that some parents don't do their job as parents." ? No empathy whatsoever for the youth huh? Trust me, I live here and am 42, and I have kids and I'm even bored here, unless I wanted to go down to the 'Pickled Parrot' and get drunk with a bunch of morans. There is absolutely nothing set up for kids or adults, for that matter- to do here. I feel for the kids especially, living in a world full of adult greed- plenty of bars for the hypocrites to hang out in- who can judge these kids, there are two Walmarts- aka- the zoo. A strip mall, a so-called beach. There's not even a bookstore and that should tell you something. Do you read books, Mike? The adult generation so easily forgets that in our day- there was alot more to do, slowly the world has evolved pass the drive-in movies and dance halls, and has landed with dollar signs in its eyes- if it is not a profit of some sort( and that goes for the government distributing drugs as well, and I know you follow me) then it is a no go. This place- Spring Hell, it is what it is- a retirement spot and a redneck's paradise.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:47 PM

4 posts, read 8,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKhunt View Post
I am 19 years old and have lived in Spring Hill (namely River Country) my entire life. If it wasn't for a path to the Weeki Wachee River that I need to trespass through one of my neighbor's yard's to get to, my Summer's would have been unbearable growing up. The fun I've found in this community has come from three places; the natural spots like the river and Pine Island, School functions, and house parties. Now that i'm out of school none of my friends go to Pine Island on account of the new generation flooding into it (which is totally understandable), schoole functions are obviously out of the question, so all that leaves are house parties.

If you were to do just a bit of investigating into the lives and community of the teenagers in ALL of the Hernando County schools you could very easily find that students are turning to drugs as a means of entertainment today more than ever. Shockingly profitable drug dealers can be found in every neighborhood, and over the passed two years I've had one friend sent to prison for vehicular manslaughter under the influence of prescription pills and another friend that fell asleep at a party and never woke up.

It isn't fair to blame the elderly community entirely for the lack of things to do in Spring Hill, but i do think the divide between age demographics deserves the majority of the blame. If we don't make our voices heard things will continue on as they have been. If boredom was the only problem with living here I'd consider myself a lucky kid. We have a destructive counter culture in this town and adults have turned a blind eye to it for too long. I don't intend on doing the same.
Excellent analogy and attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay