Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 05:29 PM

29 posts, read 144,866 times

Advertisements

I am a single white 30 yrs old man with two labradors looking to relocate out of P.A. I have the option to move to New Port Richey to a friends house for 6 months to see if I will like florida. I am concerned about the job market, single women, cost of living, business opportunities, and things to do to have fun in Florida. I currently am selling my two businesses up here to make the trip down south. I am looking forward to it in many ways now. I wanted to get some feedback of WHY I SHOULD/SHOULD NOT MOVE TO FLORIDA? If you can help that would be great.

Email me here srguws@aol.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 05:40 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
You never know - - this may be just the place for you. Check out this forum - it has invaluable information on relocating.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:48 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1 View Post
I am a single white 30 yrs old man with two labradors looking to relocate out of P.A. I have the option to move to New Port Richey to a friends house for 6 months to see if I will like florida. I am concerned about the job market, single women, cost of living, business opportunities, and things to do to have fun in Florida. I currently am selling my two businesses up here to make the trip down south. I am looking forward to it in many ways now. I wanted to get some feedback of WHY I SHOULD/SHOULD NOT MOVE TO FLORIDA? If you can help that would be great.

Email me here srguws@aol.com

What have you got to loose? So long as you have gumption you will do fine.

Job markets, overall, are slow right now. Depends what you do and how
well you do it. Tourism is down throughout the state, so any tourism related biz that you would contemplate is going to be rough. Local transportation (livery services) may do well due to the aging population in NPR area that aren't able to drive any longer. You should have no problem with things to do, indoors or out.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:49 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile You will never know until you try it....

Since you have the opportunity to stay at a friend's place and look around, that's a great way to start.

You're young and you have 2 great companions to run on the beach with or swim with

I'm on the other coast but definitely a Florida girl - love the weather and water.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:51 PM

161 posts, read 450,606 times
unemployed for a considerable period of time after the company i was at went under

my portfolio and resume are really pretty decent for the area, but no luck, not many jobs for which to apply, and even then...

the area isn't bad, just not anything special in my opinion. i can elaborate if need be, but am a little lazy tonight (as usual).

Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 AM

5 posts, read 11,902 times
Im from the NYC area. also considering Tampa. single and in my early 30's! let me know how it goes. and good luck!!

Old 11-20-2009, 01:37 AM

515 posts, read 1,348,435 times
Why should you not move? Because you're selling two business you've obviously already established to move to a place where you admittedly have no employment prospects in one of the worst economies we've seen this century. Not really the time I'd suggest for anyone to move to another state "just for the hell of it."

Old 11-20-2009, 09:17 AM

34 posts, read 83,676 times
You are getting rid of two businesses? WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!!! lol. Seriously, though, you have two businesses. Are they not going very well? I mean, we can't even find work, and you own two businesses. Is there anyway you can run them from here, or do them down in Florida? I have been looking for work for a while, and the job openings are very very few and far between. And the ones that are hiring don't pay enough to make up for the gas and time spent away from home. I would seriously wait until things got a little better before moving down. My wife and I are actually thinking about moving AWAY from Florida ourselves. All the pretty tourist attractions and beaches lose a bit of their luster when work is a priority, and other then that, Florida doesn't really offer much. The weather is TOO hot for ten months out of the year, which means your electric bill soars with contunied AC use. Price of living is low, but so is pay, so it evens out. I don't know, I wouldn't sell my two businesses to go somewhere as uncertain as Florida.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:54 PM

29 posts, read 144,866 times
Yea I have a few other issues up here. Trying to get away from someone and things up here. Business are very profitable and I may still keep 50% of the one. I have a house for free in florida for 6 months, why wouldnt I give it a shot? Either way I do not want to stay here. I have been looking other places also. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:02 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
NPR is not exactly an exciting place. A lot of folks move to an area that does not suit their lifestyle and then blame FL for not being what they were expecting. Just check out other areas if you are bored in NPR. There are a lot of dog parks all around Tampa Bay a great way to meet ppl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay