Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:28 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,568,482 times

Advertisements

Is there a safe, great city between Tampa and Orlando that an older, single gal would like? I'll be buying a condo and don't insist on being on the beach if it's safer to be away from it, however, would like to be close enough to the main highways as plan to jet up and down alot from one city to another.
Don't want to live in Tampa due to the congestion, and don't want to live in Orlando as it's not for me; however, need to be somewhere near each city as I have to work in both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 11:22 AM

161 posts, read 450,606 times
hello,

i may not be the total best person to answer this but ill try...

i drive a lot between orlando and tampa so i have at least a little bit of an idea how things are, but not a great idea...

i recommend looking at brandon, though im not sure how the crime is there

also, there are many many little cities along the interstate that don't look half bad

i would defiantly avoid lakeland at all costs

Old 11-23-2009, 01:21 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
What about Auburndale? It seems smack in the middle...

Old 11-23-2009, 03:42 PM

Interesting as I was looking at Brandon. Thanks!
Auburndale...haven't ever heard of it, but I surely will do some homework on it now, too.
Any other ideas for me?

Old 11-23-2009, 03:51 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
Auburndale doesn't strike me as a city with a lot of options in terms of condos. The few times I've been through there it always struck me as your typical poorer agriculture-based Central Florida town.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:41 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
Well I am sure they may have some...I was thinking location wise because it is in pretty equal distance from both cities and it seems peacefull and definitely less congested...

Old 11-23-2009, 08:04 PM

Neither city had all that much in the way of condos by the way.
I've been looking today in Citrus County hearing that it is the 3rd safest county in the area. Worth a look, anyway.
Any suggestions there?

Old 11-23-2009, 08:27 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
What about Auburndale? It seems smack in the middle...
Auburndale is a teeny tiny town. Lakeland would make more sense. Lakeland is a nice city of 100,000 smack dab between Tampa and Orlando - it has some really beautiful parts, we lived there for 2 years and were surprised how nice it was. Best areas are south of downtown and further south, especially in Lakeland Highlands or around Lake Hollingsworth. Stay out of the area north of downtown, and out east, those are the bad areas. You really should check it out. Easy travel to either Tampa or Orlando, and a lot of nice things in the city itself.

If you want a city about half the size of Lakeland, look into Winter Haven, which is like Lakeland's little sister. A little closer to Orlando, and a littler further from Tampa. Nice little downtown and a lot of beautiful lakes (just like Lakeland)

Old 11-24-2009, 11:16 AM

161 posts, read 450,606 times
gypsychick and i will disagree on lakeland. but for my two-cents on the matter: i find the area horribly white trash, even at its best spots.

if i remember correctly winter haven is a bit nicer; id shoot for that.

i have no suggestions for condos specifically though

Old 11-24-2009, 11:51 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aninaction View Post
gypsychick and i will disagree on lakeland. but for my two-cents on the matter: i find the area horribly white trash, even at its best spots.

if i remember correctly winter haven is a bit nicer; id shoot for that.

i have no suggestions for condos specifically though
That's fine if you disagree, but what are you basing your opinion on? Sure there are some less than desirable places there, but that exists EVERYWHERE. Lakeland does not have a monopoly on "white trash" or ghetto. You seem to have a lot of elitist attitude in your various posts about Florida in general. It is so condescending to declare the whole area as "horribly white trash even at its best spots." I think you probably really don't even know anything about the area, have you ever lived there? Or did you just drive through once... Lakeland is a pretty sophisticated town, with beautiful art sculptures all over the city, a wonderful library and fine arts center, many galleries and a great performance venue (Lakeland Center.) The swan is the city symbol and the downtown Lake Morton is a swan sanctuary. There is a formal european style garden called Hollis Gardens at Lake Mirror, and a restored movie palace downtown (Polk Theater) where one can see classic, indie and art films. Yeah, it's real white trash around here.....

Lakeland is actually quite beautiful and upscale in the areas I mentioned. By the way, Florida Southern College is also in Lakeland on Lake Hollingsworth - world famous architecture by Frank Lloyd Wright - people from all over the world come to visit, since it's the largest single collection of his buildings in one place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay