Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 8,821 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job offer in Tampa. His office is near to the Tampa international airport. We have a german shepherd dog, which is usually not allowed by most apartments. So we would like to rent a single family house or townhouse, for no more than $1,500. Our only child is one year old (may have more later ), so good school is a plus but not extremely necessary now. Safety is the first priority.
It seems south Tampa is the best but expensive. New Tampa area is kind of more affordable, and there are more Asian residents (we are from Asia) but I'm really worried about the traffic. I think 45 min commute time is the upper limit, longer than that may easily drive him crazy......
Where is the best place to live? Any suggestions? We don't care much about how far from the sea, safety is the first priority. Many thanks!

Last edited by flowercat; 12-14-2011 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 11:47 AM

108 posts, read 308,360 times
I would look at Westchase. Sounds like it would satisfy all of your criteria.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:03 PM

420 posts, read 864,754 times
^agreed. I would consider Carrolwood also.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:52 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
Citrus Park is also worth looking into. Not as expensive as Westchase but just up the road and near the mall and shopping. Your biggest problem is going to be finding a place that will accept the dog unfortunately. Northdale might also work for you.

You might want to check for places that will accept the dog and then ask here about the area

Old 12-15-2011, 08:22 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,127,272 times
Near the airport. All suggestions provided to you are good ones. I also work near the airport... sort of. NO matter what, traffic going South on any road is pretty bad in the morning. I live in Northdale and get to work in about 45 minutes using the Veterans. Going home at 5 o clock only takes 30 minutes though. The commute is quicker when school is out and the Snowbirds aren't around.

Sorry - Can;t give you any information about Asian communities. If working near the airport I woudl advice against New Tampa or Temple Terrace. They're out East a ways.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:44 AM

2 posts, read 8,821 times
Thank you very much for all the information! I'll keep searching.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:14 AM

11 posts, read 13,473 times
Westchase would be ideal, commute-wise. You'll find Asian communities scattered throughout Westchase/Carrollwood/Northdale. There is a large temple over in Westchase as well. I would avoid New Tampa even though you'll find plenty of nice homes - the commute for your husband would be horrible.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,619 times
Default Carrollwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
^agreed. I would consider Carrolwood also.
I agree, and it' s the closest to the airport, and the safest..

Old 11-18-2014, 12:24 PM

265 posts, read 402,513 times
Carrollwood is NOT the closest to the airport, for the record. Don't know why anyone thinks that. It's still a reasonable place to live, as it's not THAT far away, but you would have to rely on Dale Mabry highway which is one of the worst, most backed-up roads to have to commute on during rush hour (although you could take backroads toward the east out to the Veteran's and take that, but it wouldn't save any time... just frustration).

Other people have already given the best suggestions (Westchase and Citrus Park, specifically), but I'm popping in here to tell you that you absolutely DO NOT WANT to commute from New Tampa to the airport. I'm getting heartburn just thinking about it on your behalf. That would be one of the most miserable commutes ever. I'm not exaggerating, either. I've lived in Tampa for almost my entire life, and I can assure you: it would be a GOOD day if he can commute to the airport in only 45 minutes!! Unless he works 3rd shift or something. Then yeah, maybe a half hour commute. Otherwise, you're looking at a good hour, on a NORMAL day.

I would also look into some of the areas north of Citrus Park, as long as you stay near the Veteran's Expressway. It's a toll road, but it generally keeps moving, even in rush hour, at least compared to the other thoroughfares around town.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:43 PM

49 posts, read 64,471 times
I agree, I moved to Tampa a few months ago, and Carrollwood and treated me great so far. Good neighbors, safe, I walk my dog almost every night out to the lakes. Like the guy above me said, you would probably have to rely on Dale Mabry, depends where you are at, and it is one of the most bi polar roads I have seen since moving here. You may be able to take the toll road too if you live on the citrus park side? I have never taken it so someone may be able to tell more on that....To me the tradeoff is worth it and its not THATTTT far from the Airport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay