Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:31 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,123,127 times

Advertisements

I don't think so.

Accidents are just that. Surely carelessness is a major cause, but
towing a car to make the point is ridiculous and probably a violation of civil rights. The government can't take your property in a civil traffic
violation. What if they decided to impound your TV set if you
jaywalked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
If you can't figure that out on your own.......then it is no point in me explaining this to you, obviously you seem OK with the number of accidents we have thanks to careless drivers......

If it would cost you $1000 to unhook your car I bet you you would be a lot more careful next time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 02:42 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
Moderator cut: comment Why don't we release all inmates too so that way we don't overstep on their civil rights to kill, rape, steal etc!!! WOW! Please don't go to Europe ever you and your liberties may get you in jail pretty quick judging by your comments! ....

Last edited by Keeper; 01-05-2010 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: comment about the topic, not other members

Old 01-04-2010, 04:45 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,466,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Shawn McDermott says that he caused an accident recently while talking on his cell phone, and agrees that repeatedly inattentive drivers do not belong on the road.

"I don't think it is acceptable to get into that many accidents," said McDermott. "If this can help take steps to prevent accidents in the future then, yeah, it is beneficial."
I think this guy's cell phone needs to be impounded and NOT the car!

Old 01-04-2010, 06:50 PM

First of all you assume that most drivers in accidents are either uninsured or unlicensed. How on earth could you equate murders, rapists and theives with an unlicensed or uninsured driver?

Moderator cut: edited quote

Last edited by Keeper; 01-05-2010 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: report posts rather than respond

Old 01-05-2010, 06:01 AM

Look, in California, NY and other states they impound cars for being parked in the wrong place....such as a fire lane for example, or over exceeding the parking meter.....one doesn't have to be causing an accident to have their car impounded, this has been in practice for a very long time.......I don't know how you didn't know this........in Europe and other countries same deal...in case of an accident, sure if the driver that caused it is found to be driving without a license you bet the car should be impounded and a large fine applied, it is NOT OK to drive without a license, nor without insurance, not sure why you would think different?....You seem to think that people collect thousands of dollars to pay fines......not true, I don't know if anyone would LOVE to spend money on traffic tickets.......

Impounding a car has NOTHING to do with someone's "civil rights" as you put it....that someone HAD TO HAVE DONE SOMETHING THAT WAS NOT ALLOWED BY A LAW TO HAVE HIS/HER CAR IMPOUNDED.....a police officer is not going to impound someone's car because it is painted pink!

I am NOT attacking you at all, but YOU DO come across with some of your answers as being very ignorant to the world...we, the people who have kids are sick and tired of these drivers cutting us off and doing everything else while driving putting us all at risk, you said you don't have kids, so how would you even relate? have a few kids then talk........

"First of all you assume that most drivers in accidents are either uninsured or unlicensed. How on earth could you equate murders, rapists and theives with an unlicensed or uninsured driver?"
So, how should I call a driver who was doing something else while driving, caused an accident, killed 4 people and is found without a license and uninsured? you tell me?

Old 01-05-2010, 06:14 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
One of our kids is injured ever since a young driver hit our car, luckily she had insurance, but not enough money to cover for all the expenses and we are still after 3 yrs in the process of going to court...

What she did, I bet you she must have had more accidents...I think a drivers license should be taken and also a very high fine if she had 3 at fault accidents...if not being paid than jail time...this girl was driving daddy's car so impounding would not have been a solution...she would get into some one elses car...but impounding is okay with me, aything to get bad an drunk drivers of the road.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:46 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Please keep your responses about the topic and not about other members because they disagree with you.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:55 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,896,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Please keep your responses about the topic and not about other members because they disagree with you.

man your all about the topic.
why can't we disagree on here?

Old 01-05-2010, 11:42 AM

Yes, I know in NYC they impound cars left unattended where they arent supposed to be. I never said I didnt know that they have such a thing as impounding cars. I lived/worked in NYC for most of my life.
If you are in a clearly marked "Tow-Away" zone, then they have the right to impound your car. Or simply to place it somewhere else.

However, taking someones car during a traffic stop seems a little beyond government rights. Even drunk drivers have the option of having someone come and get the car since they are going to jail. THey dont send a tow truck to take it away. That would be beyond the rights of the law.

As far as the personal attacks, calling someone;s posting "stupid" is not constructive.

Do you feel that because you decided to have children that you are wiser or more intelligent than others? Hardly so. The intelligent ones skipped kids.

I would have to think that most of the drivers out there without licenses and or insurance are not the ones that are driving recklessly all the time.

Surely, if you kill someone while driving you should be arrested, tried and let the law figure out your punishment. Driving with a license or not.

Keep in mind. Accidents happen. I don't think you have too many people out there hell bent on causing an accident, insurred, uninsured, licensed or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Look, in California, NY and other states they impound cars for being parked in the wrong place....such as a fire lane for example, or over exceeding the parking meter.....one doesn't have to be causing an accident to have their car impounded, this has been in practice for a very long time.......I don't know how you didn't know this........in Europe and other countries same deal...in case of an accident, sure if the driver that caused it is found to be driving without a license you bet the car should be impounded and a large fine applied, it is NOT OK to drive without a license, nor without insurance, not sure why you would think different?....You seem to think that people collect thousands of dollars to pay fines......not true, I don't know if anyone would LOVE to spend money on traffic tickets.......

Impounding a car has NOTHING to do with someone's "civil rights" as you put it....that someone HAD TO HAVE DONE SOMETHING THAT WAS NOT ALLOWED BY A LAW TO HAVE HIS/HER CAR IMPOUNDED.....a police officer is not going to impound someone's car because it is painted pink!

I am NOT attacking you at all, but YOU DO come across with some of your answers as being very ignorant to the world...we, the people who have kids are sick and tired of these drivers cutting us off and doing everything else while driving putting us all at risk, you said you don't have kids, so how would you even relate? have a few kids then talk........

"First of all you assume that most drivers in accidents are either uninsured or unlicensed. How on earth could you equate murders, rapists and theives with an unlicensed or uninsured driver?"
So, how should I call a driver who was doing something else while driving, caused an accident, killed 4 people and is found without a license and uninsured? you tell me?

Old 01-05-2010, 12:07 PM

WHO in this entire thread suggested to take/impound someone's car at a stop sign??? I mentioned real traffic violations that I see every day on our roads here, If I had a dolar for every guy/gal on Dale Mabry alone that was either on the phone, shaving, putting on make up...and generally doing other things than driving I would have been able to buy a Masseratti Or a Rolls Royce by now! Not suggesting impounding their car for those, but those a sure worthy of some expensive fines....it is not my fault one can't get up 5 minutes early and use their own bathroom to shave or put make up on....accidents won't happen as often if people will actually respect traffic rules and keep their eyes on the ROAD!

Your comment about being "wiser for having kids" is out of place entirely in this thread...I have this opinion about impounding cars since I was in high school...way before thinking of having kids...My mom had her car impounded once for parking 5 minuted over the meter....back in '86...but I have to tell you, there must not be that many "wise" people in the world because if there were and they all skipped the kids we would still be in the Stone Age!!!! I am sure your parents must feel really good to know that carrying you for 9 months didn't make them any wiser LOLOLOLOL like THAT would be the reason that people are keep having kids....LOLOL That was funny!

Last edited by algia; 01-05-2010 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay