Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 04:32 PM

5 posts, read 43,093 times

Advertisements

Am looking to relocate to St. Pete, FL and am interested in honest feedback regarding Itopia Condo Complex on Gandy Blvd. Appreciate any info!
thanks-Snowed in Boston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 06:30 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,077,659 times
renting or buying? Would not recommend to buy particularly but if renting - not a bad location.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:48 PM

Default Itopia Condos, St. Pete, FL

why do you say you would not reccommend buying at Itopia? The condo docs show healthy reserves even in a market full of foreclosures. How is the neighborhood as far as safety?
If you would not reccommend buying at Itopia, do you know of other condo complexes with the full list of ammenities that Itopia has (and reasonable condo fees and r.e. taxes)?
your help is greatly appreciated!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:14 PM

58 posts, read 194,181 times
they are right on the bay on what used to be mangroves. from what i've heard they aren't built too well, but the location is definitely good.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:38 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,212 times
I bought an investment property there when they were converted to condos in 2005 and sold it a couple years later. I have recently looked at Itopia again to see if it would be a good buy.

The plusses:
- prices are CHEAP. I sold a 1 BR in 2007 for almost $110k, and the most recent sale price was $30k. I am looking to get one for $25k or less.
- The location is top notch, and probably the geographic center of the Tampa Bay area
- Amenities are very nice, and it appears as though the condo board has maintained it well

The minuses:
- these are older buildings and there have been a number of construction issues due to their age. Any buyer should be aware that a special assessment could hit them.
- very high number of foreclosures and defaults, limiting bank financing. You'll probably have to pay cash.
- monthly condo fees are still reasonable, but I think that they will be increasing rapidly to account for the high number of defaults.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:45 PM

Chi_tino - thanks for the valuable info!

Old 01-26-2010, 12:18 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,212 times
Any other questions? I'm pretty familiar with the condo policies, management, etc.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 13,037 times
Red face Feedback -- Itopia on Gandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Q W. View Post
Am looking to relocate to St. Pete, FL and am interested in honest feedback regarding Itopia Condo Complex on Gandy Blvd. Appreciate any info!
thanks-Snowed in Boston
Snowed in Boston..

I frequently visit a friend there..

The Good:
Easy access to Tampa and Hwy's
Shopping is reasonably close,
Fishing is very close,
The people there are relatively nice,
The Pools are kept clean and the grounds are well maintained.
The security guy there does his job and is detailed oriented, unregistered vehicles don't last long there.

The Bad:
The Sprinklers use reclaimed water and they stink,
Some of the units have poorly installed AC/units and develop mold easily
The walls and floors are thin, so you can hear your neighbors,
And it was built on old swamp land and can have a few mosquito days depending on the wind, and if you check the storm surge/evacuation zone, is is as low as you can get. If you just go 1/2 mile west and cross 4th, you are safer.
If I was going there, I would get second story, and wouldn't pay more than 28K for a place there, and facing west towards one of the center of the complex with a "pond view."
There are a few units headed for foreclosure, watch the st.pete times for the public notice, so I wouldn't buy any of the listings over 35K(unless they are perfect), and I wouldn't rent for $900 as some people do. There are better deals if you are patient.

I hope that helps..

Old 06-08-2010, 08:34 PM

12 posts, read 39,669 times
Default Itopia condos

I looked into buying a condo there at the height of the bubble, and they were asking $150,000. If you could get one for $30,000 like I read, that would be pretty good. Great location.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:02 AM

1 posts, read 11,579 times
Default sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Q W. View Post
thanks-Snowed in Boston
okay so,
the security guard, the night time, has had at least 4 police reports made toward him. he is creepy. there have been complaints about his watching women walk their dogs and be conveniently outside their door when they walk outside for their ritual walk. this is from the word of workers at the property.

when i called the from office to complain about the way the guard treated my tow truck driver i was treated very poorly i was treated as though i was lying TO MY EYE WITNESS ACCOUNT.

also water was shut off for a PLANNED WATER SHUT OFF without any notice. when i called the office they said they knew of turn off but neglected to wan residence.

if you move here be ready for the absence of customer service and a lack luster staff. HOWEVER THE LAWN AND GROUNDS CREW IS AMAZING. the front sucks and so does security
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay