Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:15 PM

357 posts, read 800,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
State officials are considering a bag tax, which could grow from 5 cents a bag in 2011 to 25 cents a bag in 2014, followed by a ban in 2015, Local 6 News partner Florida Today reported.
Full article here: State May Tax, Ban Paper, Plastic Bags - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.clickorlando.com/news/22263024/detail.html - broken link)

Anyone else as excited as I about the parasites sucking more money from us?

I can see the life prison sentences now for repeat plastic bag offenders in 2015!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 07:41 PM

626 posts, read 1,350,023 times
I personally think its a GREAT idea!! Its a possible stepping stone to cutting down on at least the plastic bag littering.
Every day I see plastic bags rolling along the streets and not to mention how many I have picked up on the beach. Seeing that we are surrounded by so much water, it is a total health hazard to the sea animals. Maybe by imposing this tax on plastic bags then people will think twice about littering... idk then again it probably wont make a difference since most people are just ignorant in regards to the environment anyways.
Im just sick of picking up other people's garbage because theyre too lazy to walk 2 feet to a garbage can.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:45 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,672,130 times
I really see no problem with it. In fact I support it.

I have canvas bags that I use. When I go to Sams everyone uses boxes, other stores you have to pay if you want bags.

If everyone would just grab things that don't need a bag instead of bagging it like when going in to just get a gallon of milk maybe these steps would not be needed.

What is so hard about keeping a few canvas bags in the trunk?

Old 02-03-2010, 08:33 PM

17,558 posts, read 39,208,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

I have canvas bags that I use. When I go to Sams everyone uses boxes, other stores you have to pay if you want bags.

If everyone would just grab things that don't need a bag instead of bagging it like when going in to just get a gallon of milk maybe these steps would not be needed.

I agree, I take my canvas bags everywhere. It's a relief not to be collecting all those darn plastic bags! I can't understand people being so lazy that they can't be bothered to use the reuseable bags! People in other countries have been taking their own bags to market for years.

I totally support this!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 PM

335 posts, read 940,432 times
I agree. This is a great idea. We use canvas bags too.

Yup, when I was in Germany you brought your own bag to the market.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:47 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,899,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

I totally agree...
It's about time...
Canvas bags cost a buck or two...
And how many do you really need....?

Old 02-03-2010, 10:00 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,757,318 times
I support the idea aswell.
Plastic bags are one of the worst types of trash. They are made of petroleum products, the wind blows them all over the place, and they are a hazard to wild life. Its a very simple transition to go from plastic to cloth bags, and yet it will make a huge difference.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:46 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,339,421 times
And just when I was thinking about getting a dog again. I'm gonna have to stock up. I usually like big dogs so probably the wind won't be blowing these around.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:39 AM

27,219 posts, read 46,814,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlo View Post
Full article here: State May Tax, Ban Paper, Plastic Bags - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.clickorlando.com/news/22263024/detail.html - broken link)

Anyone else as excited as I about the parasites sucking more money from us?

I can see the life prison sentences now for repeat plastic bag offenders in 2015!
Next will be employees fired since we have to put a coin in the shopping carts which you get back when you return them....just as in Europe.

Under this government we know what is coming...the easy life is over...

Let people be free, if you want the canvas bags, take them if you don't allow people to use the plastic ones without adding tax on it...it is only hurting the people with the least income in times that aren't so good!

Old 02-04-2010, 05:51 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,672,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Next will be employees fired since we have to put a coin in the shopping carts which you get back when you return them....just as in Europe.

Under this government we know what is coming...the easy life is over...

Let people be free, if you want the canvas bags, take them if you don't allow people to use the plastic ones without adding tax on it...it is only hurting the people with the least income in times that aren't so good!
How is it hurting people with low income?

They can save plastic bags for the next year to reuse after that and there are always give always of little carry bags at the boat show and other places they can get some canvas bags free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay