Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 09:46 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,952 times

Advertisements

I am in a situation where I am going to have my 2 kids and myself because of a seperation. I am looking for a 2/3 bedroom house with 2 bathrooms for less than 100,000 if possible. Decent area is obviously wanted. 1 son has Autism but I have a school to put him in already. I am just looking for a good school district for my other son that is just starting Kindergarten next year.

Thank you very much. I work from home so distance to a certain area isn't necessarily needed.

THanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 06:28 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
Well there are only three school districts in the Tampa Bay Area: Hillsborough District (Tampa, Brandon, and the rest of Hillsborough County), Pinellas District (St. Pete, Clearwater, and the rest of Pinellas County), and Pasco District (Wesley Chapel, New Port Richey, and the rest of Pasco County).

Old 03-15-2010, 09:31 PM

Thank you for that but that doesn't give me much idea about what is good and what isn't. Anyone have any idea at the place I should be looking for?

Old 03-16-2010, 11:29 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,080,207 times
Price is tricky, the good school areas attract buyers more, so the prices are higher. There are probably some townhome condos on some of the newer subdivisions in the Hillsborough county area or Pasco that might work. Single family homes in areas like Seminole/largo (for sem schools) palm harbor/eastlake/safety harbor - you will struggle I think to get something for your budget.
Have you considered renting for the time being and maybe investing your money for a while til you know where you are comfortable or in a better financial position.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:01 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
well, you said you found a school, in that case what area is the school in, which school is it? then we can tell you what you're closer too price wise, don't you have to stay within that district anyway? or have you applied for choice and can live anywhere else?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:29 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,924 times
If you are able to go just a bit higher.... maybe around 120,000.. you could find something in Largo in a nice area. Do a search and see what you find.

Schools are OK here at the elementary level. Hard to work with the admins and some of the teachers, but it could be worse. I would not send my kids to Largo middle though. There are magnets you can look into.

Algia, you don't have to stay in district if your child gets special ed services, for the most part anyway.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magijasakymaro View Post
Algia, you don't have to stay in district if your child gets special ed services, for the most part anyway.
I know, my son goes to a school that is not in our district and now my daughter will go there also through the choice option.....however, even so, you don't want to drive 30+ minutes to get to school.....we found a great program in the district next to us and it takes me 10 minutes literally to get to and from my son's school......

It was commuting that I was trying to point too....it can be difficult in some areas....

Old 03-16-2010, 07:24 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I know, my son goes to a school that is not in our district and now my daughter will go there also through the choice option.....however, even so, you don't want to drive 30+ minutes to get to school.....we found a great program in the district next to us and it takes me 10 minutes literally to get to and from my son's school......

It was commuting that I was trying to point too....it can be difficult in some areas....
I agree, and I'm having a lot of trouble with this. They wouldn't let all my kids into the school my son (with special needs) is in, because we missed the deadline (due to our move) and we aren't zoned for that school. We are potentially looking at having four kids in four different schools in the fall. I will not be happy if that happens.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:54 AM

That's where I am at now with my 2 kids who go to school, each is in a different school and it's crazy because they also have different hours....which is why I had to apply through the choice office to get my daughter to go to the same school my son goes too....I really hope you don't have to have them all in different schools, it's crazy!

Old 03-22-2010, 06:05 AM

Autism Spectrum Disorders - Florida Autism Center of Excellence (FACE) (http://www.faceprogram.org/index.php - broken link)

That is the school for one of my sons. It doesn't matter where we live for it. Obviously the closer the better but I did see it appears to be in downtown Tampa so I am not quite sure how the closer schools would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay