Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 03:12 PM

151 posts, read 559,558 times

Advertisements

Ok all, I need some real honest feedback. We visited Sarasota-Bradenton and loved it, however the job market seems a bit slow. We will have some reserves and won't need instant jobs but the more I look it would appear that in my field I would be better off closer to the Tampa region. We don't want to be in the heart of a major city so on the outskirts works for us as long as the drive doesn't suck. By that I mean I don't want to drive more than 30 mintues to work or a town region with shopping, etc. I have been reading that St.Pete isn't all that nice anymore...is that true? Any suggestions on outlining areas of Tampa that have the following:
1.Decent houses that aren't on top of a freeway, etc.
2. Within 30 minutes of town and the beaches.
3. Decent place to raise a family.

You know, all the good stuff.....thanks for your help. We will be coming down late April to early May to purchase and I am trying to get honest information about other areas before we settle in North Port or Sarasota....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 03:33 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
your budget really is the one deciding where to live and that is based on where you work, it's hard to answer any of these without a bit more specific info:
1.Decent houses that aren't on top of a freeway, etc. tons of places both in subdivisions and stand alone
2. Within 30 minutes of town and the beaches. again tons
3. Decent place to raise a family. not tons, but more like gallons.......LOL

Old 03-25-2010, 04:18 PM

151 posts, read 559,558 times
Well, we will be paying cash for our house anywhere up to $200K and that seems to be doable in most areas but not being FROM the area it's hard to tell what neighborhoods are good and what are just photo-shop. Budget isn't really so much of an issue since we won't have many bills except for insurance, taxes and living costs-no mortgage or car payments.
Basically I want to know why people live in the Tampa area other than just having a job. Is it a good area for families? Are the beaches nicer than the Sarasota region? Is it due to the house prices? What would motivate me to look in the Tampa and outskirts region instead of the Sarasota-North Port area.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:15 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelagardner View Post
Well, we will be paying cash for our house anywhere up to $200K and that seems to be doable in most areas but not being FROM the area it's hard to tell what neighborhoods are good and what are just photo-shop. Budget isn't really so much of an issue since we won't have many bills except for insurance, taxes and living costs-no mortgage or car payments.
Basically I want to know why people live in the Tampa area other than just having a job. Is it a good area for families? Are the beaches nicer than the Sarasota region? Is it due to the house prices? What would motivate me to look in the Tampa and outskirts region instead of the Sarasota-North Port area.
angelagardener, all I can tell you is that my husband works in downtown Tampa, but we live on the north end of Sarasota (Manatee County) because the quality of life is SO MUCH BETTER here. That is our opinion of course. We have the best beaches in the country, some of the best in the world. You just can't beat Siesta or Anna Maria Island. Beaches are MUCH NICER DOWN HERE - actually , Tampa doesn't really have beaches, you have to go to St. Pete. Also, for such a small city, Sarasota has almost all the top amenities Tampa has. There are a lot of good deals to be had on homes in that price range, especially for cash. Quite frankly, I have found that taxes in Tampa are much higher than here, especially for the nice neighborhoods in Tampa.

I will add that I am a Tampa native, born and raised, and while I think Tampa has it's good points, I just find it so much more pleasurable to live here in Sarasota/Bradenton area than up in Tampa. Everyone has to decide for themselves, though.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:24 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
North of Tampa (within 30 minutes or less of down town) you have Lutz, Carrollwood, Northdale with good schools, both public and private and all sorts of retail....However when looking at Lutz, stay on the Hillsborough county side, the Pasco county side sucks and the east side has quite a sex offender population...........very sketchy....the good zips for Lutz are 33558, 33548......then you have Odessa 33556 zip code also has very nice residential areas, and some very large homes....looks more rural but it is nice no doubt.....quiet...but again, on the Hillsborough county side, the north side is not so nice.....

You will be within 25 minutes of Tarpon Springs which is a very nice little city with some REALLY NICE real estate.....especially going towards Howard Park, there are a few other parks close by we like a lot, very nice sunset spots, quiet & peaceful....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay