Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,161 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are moving from Eau Claire, WI to the Tampa area. We, however, have no idea where to move too. I have found out everything I possibly can from raw data but I need the input of the people who live in the area. Our budget is 600 - 800 per month for a 1 or 2 bedroom. Here are the things that we find important(ranked). In case it helps we at both 27.

1. Low crime
2. Closeness to the ocean
3. Jobs (She has a teaching degree and I am still in school for computer science, although commuting isn't an issue)
4. Social community
5. Entertainment
6. Nightlife

Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 01:50 PM

792 posts, read 2,292,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krus_2 View Post
Hello,

My girlfriend and I are moving from Eau Claire, WI to the Tampa area. We, however, have no idea where to move too. I have found out everything I possibly can from raw data but I need the input of the people who live in the area. Our budget is 600 - 800 per month for a 1 or 2 bedroom. Here are the things that we find important(ranked). In case it helps we at both 27.

1. Low crime
2. Closeness to the ocean
3. Jobs (She has a teaching degree and I am still in school for computer science, although commuting isn't an issue)
4. Social community
5. Entertainment
6. Nightlife

Any help would be much appreciated.
Your budget will dictate your environment more than anything else. For $600 to $800/month, your going to be dealing with crime. That's just a fact of life. Buy a gun and learn how to use it.

You might get reasonably close to the ocean(within a couple of miles), but your not going to be really close, like walking distance, unless you spend a lot more money for housing.

Jobs are hard to come by and they generally pay a lot less than other parts of the country.

Social community is pretty much non existent, since everyone here is from somewhere else and most people are distrusting of their neighbors(especially in the neighborhood that you will be able to afford). I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. There are tons and tons of trashy people here, of all colors.

There is lots of nightlife here and things to do. Ask any tourist.

Most people move here with rose colored glasses on and later become disillusioned by what they find. Florida is great when your on vacation or retired , but it's a tough place to live when you have to work for a living.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:40 PM

877 posts, read 1,913,528 times
The Tampa Bay area if very large so the best way to go about doing it is to get the jobs and then look at nice areas within commuting distance to move to. Once you know where you'll be working it will be much easier for us to advise you on where to live.

I agree that the budget you have will not put you very close to the ocean.

I've found Tampa to be very friendly. Case in point- we moved into a new house yesterday. One of my neighbors came over, gave me a kiss of the cheek and welcomed me to the neighborhood. Another brought her little dog over when she saw our dogs out and asked if it would be okay to give them treats through the fence.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:46 AM

593 posts, read 890,563 times
Default Moving from Wisconsin,Need help picking location

My wife daughter dog and I moved from Oshkosh 18 years ago originally to Pasco County and built a home there . We eventually moved slightly south to a great community Palm Harbor. The West Coast is very desirable in generally. We were going to move to North Carolina and actually purchased property,but it became too expensive to not only build there, but the local good ol' boys/services charge an arm and a leg for everything you can think of causing a red flag. We have a nice condo about 3 miles from the Gulf, where we kayak and fish. Many fun amenities all along the coast. We timeshare in Orlando frequently and have a ball. There are top rated schools in this area and great shopping, restaurants, and churches.

Last edited by DASULAR17; 04-11-2010 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: formating

Old 04-11-2010, 08:06 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
You need to know where the job will be located before finding a place to live. You can find a place in your price range but you won't be on a beach. You also won't need a gun to live in a place for 800 a month.

You can find an apt complex on the bay in S. Tampa in your price range. Very Good area and close to Westshore, Downtown, Hyde Park and SoHo.

The Cove Apartments Tampa, FL - Apartments for Rent in Tampa Florida

Old 04-11-2010, 08:27 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,334,489 times
There are a ton of places right by the beach for under $800. Here's just a few.

$595 http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/111-60Th-Ave--2A_St-Pete-Beach_FL_33706_1113873937?mp=1

$600 http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/8251-Bayshore-Dr--B_Treasure-Island_FL_33706_1117588754?mp=1

$675 on the sand with a gulf view http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/8470-W-Gulf-Blvd--305_Treasure-Island_FL_33706_1079064133?mp=1

$695 http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/505-67Th-Ave--11_St-Pete-Beach_FL_33706_1116785166?mp=1

etc

etc

etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay