Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 04:59 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times

Advertisements

Is it different elsewhere? I mean do people not work and play everywhere around the world?

I am sure that just like elsewhere, most people in the area go to work everyday. Maybe not Mon-Fri, but they do get free time to enjoy the spetactular activities avialable to us Floridians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I could not help but notice how no one has mentioned their job in Tampa? I mean, it would suck royally to live here just for a few weekend pleasures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 05:07 PM

You're not in Nebraska anymore. Tell me about the beaches in Nebraska. The weather. The theme parks and other attractions. What have they got? You get what you pay for in quality of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Its quite expensive compared to midwest actually. The same size house here is about 500 more a month from where I am from. Gas is about 20 cents more per gallon here. Gas is always a pretty good indication on COL.

Our base allowance went up 600 a month as well - that's a very good indication of COL - airforce is pretty good about adjusting housing pay for things like that. If COL wasnt that high - then our BAH really wouldnt have gone up.

Previous house was 1800 SQ feet with basement and we paid 860 a month. This one is 2000 sq feet and no basement and its 1300 a month and that's cheap compared to other houses of comparable size. This is renting cost, not buying.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:13 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,950,344 times
Quote:
Its big for the midwest - omaha has over a million people.
Omaha counts for the most part. I'd say that Omaha COL is cheaper than Tampa but my prefrence of locations would clear.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:29 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,760,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You're not in Nebraska anymore. Tell me about the beaches in Nebraska. The weather. The theme parks and other attractions. What have they got? You get what you pay for in quality of life.
I was talking specifically COL.

Weather is subjective considering some people like different types of weather. Omaha has College world series, an indoor water park being built, 2 theme parks within a 2-3 hour drive, i mean i could go on, but as I stated, I was talking ONLY cost of living. Please read the posts.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:23 PM

I would think the COL is going to be different based on what an area has to offer.
The more the area offers, the higher the COL for the area.

You get a lot of bang for your buck in FL.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,766 times
Well, I love food and I have to say Tampa Bay and St Pete in particular have some really good restaurants... some of my best times in life were in Germany and I really miss the food. There are some great German restaurants in St Pete but this one is the best (imho).... here is a site on it ( Cafe Vienna)

Cafe Vienna is the St Petersburg taste of German and Austrian food

Old 07-17-2010, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, i love german food and havent really looked into any places here. I will definitely check them out

Old 07-17-2010, 11:50 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,894 times
I just went on this website...

Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com

and compared Omaha to Tampa.

A 50k salary in Omaha would be comparable to a 52k salary in Omaha.
Groceries cost 8% more
Housing costs 10% more
Utilities will cost 1% more
Transportation costs 3% more
Health Care costs 0% more

ON THE OTHER HAND....compared to Chicago, Tampa prices are...
Groceries will cost:
5%less

Housing will cost:
35%less

Utilities will cost:
11%less

Transportation will cost:
13%less

Healthcare will cost:
14%less

I can't think of a more midwestern city than Chicago.

I guess if you want to find something to complain about, you will, even in this thread.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:44 AM

Kevin, Yet again you come stalking my posts, Please just leave me alone and let me talk to OTHER people in peace. I'm really tiring of your tirade against me.

Unfortunately your website is incorrect though since I know first hand how much the difference is since I did live in Omaha for 26 years.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:13 AM

451 posts, read 934,341 times
Quote:
Kevin, Yet again you come stalking my posts, Please just leave me alone and let me talk to OTHER people in peace. I'm really tiring of your tirade against me.
Kevin has been a positive, helpful and prolific contributor to this thread-- about the positive aspects of Tampa Bay living. You hi-jacked it, he responded with data. He's not in the wrong.

Quote:
Unfortunately your website is incorrect though since I know first hand how much the difference is since I did live in Omaha for 26 years.
I spent 30 in the midwest. I lived in downtown Chicago for 8 years (where the cost of living was insane) and Iowa for the last 3 years (where the cost of living is nearly identical).

We just sold a 2 bedroom, 900sq. ft. house in Iowa and are moving into a 3 bedroom, 1200sq. ft. house in Hyde Park. That's a 33% increase in space. Our rent is only 24% higher than our mortgage was in Iowa. So we're moving into one of Tampa's most desirable neighborhoods, to a much larger property, for a marginal increase in cost. We got a steal on this home, but if we're talking anecdotal experience (which is what you're claiming)-- the COL is lower from where I sit.

The only other thing I should point out is the claim that gas is cheaper in the midwest. It is. Nebraska, Iowa, South Dakota-- these states are some of the top producers in the grain belt. These states have used corn subsidies to lower the price in E10 fuel at the pump (marketed as "plus", in contrast to "regular" or "premium"). "Plus" fuel in Iowa and other grain belt states regularly save about $.10 per gallon.

Now ask yourself this-- does that $.10 per gallon savings in the grain belt offset your heating costs from October through April?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay