Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:55 PM

451 posts, read 933,826 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I'm moving to Florida in less than three weeks, and one thing I'll need to find right away is a good bagel joint. I'll be moving to the SoHo/Hyde area, and if there's a good line on a bagel spot near there (or anywhere in South Tampa), I'd be thrilled to know about it.

I'm aware of Datz Deli, and if they have good bagels I'd love to know about that as well.

Oh, and I'm not a new yorker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 10:20 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
I havent been but have heard great things about Tampa Bagels on South macDill Ave, just south of Euclid Ave. Also Sunshine Bagels on South Dale Mabry.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:10 PM

TampaGuy03-- for all your help and advice over the last year-and-a-half, I owe you a bagel and a beer, my man.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:51 AM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
I don't know if there is an Einstein Brothers bagel shop anywhere near where you live, but they are fantastic.

I have one close to my house and we go there occasionally.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:41 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Tampa Bay Bagel Co. on MacDill has the best bagels I've ever had, much better than Einstein's in my opinion. They are actually kettle boiled and the texture is just amazing.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:35 AM

Tilli, TampaGuy-- I just checked out Tampa Bay Bagel Company's menu, and I'm pretty pumped. Here's to a saturday morning bike ride down Bayshore to snag a half dozen salt bagels. Rock and roll.

While something like an Einstein or Brueggers might suffice, I'd much rather spend my money on something locally owned. I'm excited there's a good option in that regard

Old 04-24-2010, 01:45 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,333,337 times
I've been in Florida for too long; Dunkin Donut bagels make me happy.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:23 PM

15 posts, read 59,340 times
I have to agree with "housingcrashsurvivor" ~~ Dunkin Donuts have by far the best bagels in the Tampa area ~ you'll discover perfection when you bite into a Dunkin Donuts bagel.....
I was born and raised in southeast Denver and I know what you're talking about...by the way, Yay for the Denverites who get to watch Tim Tebow play with the Broncos!
Lattie

Old 04-24-2010, 07:43 PM

Much respect to HCS and Lattie-- sometimes the corporate joints get things right, and while I don't drink coffee, I heard Dunkin Donuts coffee is great too. I'm kind of a bagel head, I've been spoiled by a great indie restaurant on the corner of my old Chicago apartment called, aptly, The Bagel. Unreal bagels, I've never had better and I've tried with Dunkin Donuts, Brueggers and Einstein.

I only say I'd prefer to give Tampa Bay Bagel company a shot because, in this economy, every penny spent is a vote. Vote Tampa!

Old 04-25-2010, 02:37 AM

216 posts, read 829,347 times
Dunkin Donuts does indeed have very excellent coffee. Much better than Starbucks IMHO. (I never understood the attraction to that brand - it all tastes burnt)
However, DD bagels shouldn't even be called by that name. That would be like calling a Ford Pinto (anyone remember those?) a BMW or a Benz....
I'm a former NY'er and have been spoiled re: bagels & pizza. I did however, find a great pizza place in Pinellas that soothes my NY pizza cravings. Their pizza is top notch. Even if I didn't find this place, my thoughts on pizza is that even when it's mediocre, it's still delish. It's pizza! Some are great, some are mediocre, but its never bad. Worst case scenario you sprinkle on some parm, garlic, s&p and you're good to go.
Bagels are a different story. I've had Einstein, Brueggers, DD and a few local bagel shop products.
IMHO, the best you can do locally is to hit up Publix and get some Thomas' bagels from the bread aisle. They're adequate, not great, but better than anything else I've experienced here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: