Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:36 AM

20 posts, read 63,097 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to FL from Massachusetts and I do not know the area well. I want to move to Largo and I was wondering if anyone can give advise as to which zip codes to stay away from. I need a more rural area than city-like as I have dogs. No houses on top of each other and a more pet friendly area would be ideal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 09:48 AM

61 posts, read 186,289 times
Unhappy I'm gonna be honest with you...

...Pinellas county is the most dense county in the country and there are no "rural" areas here. Not in Largo at least. For more space I'd reccommend considering northern Pinellas if you must live in that county. More towards the Pasco county border. Towns like Palm Harbor, Dunedin, Countryside(and even C'side is a stretch).

There is still plenty of space in neighboring Hillsborough county. Its just 20 miles across the bay and there are still towns incorporating and popping up in Hillsborough. If you must live in Largo, i'm sorry but even Largo is packed. The locals even refer to it proudly as "Lar-ghetto". Trust me, its no Watts, CA or even a Southeast, D.C., but the general population is fairly young and purposeless. Hope this helps...

I've lived in Tampa Bay for 20+ years by the way. Oh, and Largo doesn't have that many zips to choose from.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:08 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Yeah, if you want rural living, Pinellas County is the absolute worst choice in Florida. The entire county is, for the most part, paved over from at least Countryside Boulevard on down. Hillsborough or Pasco Counties would be your best bet if you still want to live in the Bay Area.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:41 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,471 times
While far from rural, what about Belleair? It's right by Largo. The atmosphere is on the quiet side and dogs would easily be kept here. You're probably not going to find a large yard, although they do exist.

Or Indian Rocks.... that might be something to look into as well.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:44 PM

20 posts, read 63,097 times
Thank you all, I'm from Massachusetts so I don't know Florida well at all. I have a childhood friend who moved to Port Saint Lucie and LOVES it there, but again it's another city style area. I live in a city now, grew up in a small town on a farm so I'm looking for an area that is a bit more peaceful. Maybe after hearing all of your responses I should stick with the Atlantic side of the state afterall!

Old 05-05-2010, 01:06 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,077,659 times
Poster is correct Pinellas county is very built up, but there are marvellous parks and all of them cater for dogs, we even have dog beaches at Fort De soto and the like. Largo is not all as bad as painted, I actually live in unincorporate Largo/Pinellas county and it is very nice and I have nice dog walks to take.
We are near to beaches, and out of flood zones. Access to all over is pretty easy from this mid county location too. Pinellas county is not a down and those that drive down they busy highways often forget that behind those rows of buildings are quite a lot of open green spaces. satellite google it and you will see what I mean. Walsingham Country Park in Largo is huge, it cuts a massive swath through the centre of the county and joins up with Ridgecrest park making it larger than the also pretty substantial Lake Seminole Park. Then if you live in Isla Del Sol/Tierra Verde, you have the whole of Fort De Soto to play in, and farther north in East Lake/Safety Harbor there is the huge Brooker Creek parklands. My friends in East Lake regularly get deer in their yard from the preserve just off McMullen Booth which is a hugely busy road.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:08 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechichiChihuahuas View Post
Thank you all, I'm from Massachusetts so I don't know Florida well at all. I have a childhood friend who moved to Port Saint Lucie and LOVES it there, but again it's another city style area. I live in a city now, grew up in a small town on a farm so I'm looking for an area that is a bit more peaceful. Maybe after hearing all of your responses I should stick with the Atlantic side of the state afterall!

From what I understand, Central Florida has some rural areas.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:59 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
From what I understand, Central Florida has some rural areas.
Once you get east of Tampa it opens up.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:33 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Further you get away from the coast the less dense the living conditions..Are you going to need to be working? if not there are plenty of rural areas in Florida.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:08 PM

61 posts, read 186,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Once you get east of Tampa it opens up.
Very, VERY well said. It couldn't be more truthful than this. In fact, you'll find farms, cattle, and the whole nine of rural life east of Tampa. Of course, ONLY if you prefer to stay in the Tampa Bay area. You can't go wrong with Florida's east coast, though. Just make sure you stay WAY north of Palm Beach county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay