Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 AM

334 posts, read 662,562 times

Advertisements

I lived in St. Pete in 2000 and prices were really going up by the moment. I am thinking of returning next year and would like to buy a small home. Has it become more affordable? It's just my wife and I so I am not looking for anything big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 09:19 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,489 times
look at this, it will indicate prices generally in the area.
St Pete is pretty vibrant still but not like the 04/5s
If you thought they were high in 2000 then you may still think them high, as they have not fallen to that level.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,400 times
St Pete prices aren't as high as the rest of the country YET.. but are climbing as people lose their houses. You can actually rent a house cheaper than an apt in some cases. Unfortunatly it doesn't matter because in the end this area really does fall short of EVERYTHING! Crime is on the rise (murders daily), unemployment is CRAZY!!! Homeless people sleep on the streets and all Mr. Nurse can say is "that darn constitution".. almost everything is overprced and undersized. St Pete used to be wonderful but now.. not at all. Keep looking. Florida is a great place to live but it really is in bad shape right now.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:56 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,489 times
Have to disagree with above poster.
The Crime is sadly typical of the poorer and rundown areas, where you would not live and often involves drug/gang, familial but rarely random murders. Yes there are homeless but they are not dangerous and again are not a danger to people to the general population. Unemployment is difficult all over the country and to see a positive, informed view, there is a PBS broadcast of a new documentary on the tv this saturday/sunday, not sure where it will be shown outside of the state, Its called - A Place in the Sun WUSF TV | WUSF

Old 05-28-2010, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,400 times
I live in one of THE nicest areas of St Pete and in the past 6 months (just on Beach drive NE) there have been over 50 car burglaries. Don't dare leave your bike out at night! I almost had my scull bashed in Dec. 2009 walking out to my car to get my wallet (cops did nothing). Last night 2 bikes were stolen on our block. Someone actually stole a boat on a trailer while a couple was on their honeymoon in the middle of the day. There still are NO jobs to be had (unless you want to work for $8-$12 an hour w/no bennefits) part time or temp. If your even lucky enough to get that! I've lived here for over 30 years. I'm in tune to the decline. Sure..The the rich are getting richer. That only means the poor are on the rise. My head isn't buried in the sand .. I'm here.. I experience and see. The middle class of St Petersburg is dead and gone. Don't dare buy a house here and expect it to be worth what you paid.. expect it to be worth less than 20-100K less than what you paid!! I don't know what shill is saying otherwise but this is one of the worst cities to live in.. probably in the country let alone Florida. It's gotten worse even since my last post! Good luck. Do your research.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:19 PM

39 posts, read 174,781 times
For details of where and what kind of crimes are happening in the city check out this link. Search CrimeReports.com

Old 05-29-2010, 02:31 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenesu View Post
I live in one of THE nicest areas of St Pete and in the past 6 months (just on Beach drive NE) there have been over 50 car burglaries. Don't dare leave your bike out at night! I almost had my scull bashed in Dec. 2009 walking out to my car to get my wallet (cops did nothing). Last night 2 bikes were stolen on our block. Someone actually stole a boat on a trailer while a couple was on their honeymoon in the middle of the day. There still are NO jobs to be had (unless you want to work for $8-$12 an hour w/no bennefits) part time or temp. If your even lucky enough to get that! I've lived here for over 30 years. I'm in tune to the decline. Sure..The the rich are getting richer. That only means the poor are on the rise. My head isn't buried in the sand .. I'm here.. I experience and see. The middle class of St Petersburg is dead and gone. Don't dare buy a house here and expect it to be worth what you paid.. expect it to be worth less than 20-100K less than what you paid!! I don't know what shill is saying otherwise but this is one of the worst cities to live in.. probably in the country let alone Florida. It's gotten worse even since my last post! Good luck. Do your research.
You think it's bad in St Pete, try west Pasco.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:46 AM

209 posts, read 538,723 times
Default shopping

What are some of the nicest shopping areas? (I'm in retail and may open a retail shop.) Thanks

Old 05-30-2010, 07:29 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenesu View Post
OH.. qwanna buy a condo? Go ahead and pay 200K for that condo and then 2 months later there will be a condo auction and that person will buy the exact same space for 125-175K. It's a little ploy the "real" estate "agents" use to get a base level. There are more condos than owners of condos. I'd say that there are 25% condo owners and 75% empty condos just in the downtown St Pete area. Crime in "beautiful" downtown St pete is at an ALL TIME HIGH!! There's absolutly NO need to afraid of the beggers or the homeless here because what they do is apparent and all you have to do is ignore or walk by them. It's the unfortunate segregation that has ALWYS existed in this city that has forced up the crime rate that threatens this city and Lavender should know that if NOTHING else!! The blacks always lived south of central ave and the whites always lived north of it. That went on a little too long and unfortunatly there are clashes with police .. and the police are extremely AFRAID of the black population in this town to the point that if you go past that line.. good luck. Problem is.. the population knows that and now they cross that line and the police still do NOTHING! We have a VERY weak police force in this city. Crime exists in absolutly EVERY SINGLE ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOOD WITHIN THIS CITY AND THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS WHATSOEVER!!! I have no idea where Lavender lives but it is certainly NOT in St Pete! I can assure you that!
You are completely clueless and posting false information so don't start slinging mud at other posters when you are posting outright lies.

St.Pete's crime rate was at it's lowest point in 30 years in 2008. Where do you come up with it being at an all time high?

Old 05-30-2010, 07:31 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
You think it's bad in St Pete, try west Pasco.
Just like the wild west right?

I wish some of you posters actually lived in a bad neighborhood before so you could have some perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: