Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:39 PM

8 posts, read 10,889 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to move to Tampa for several reasons, and I currently live in Kissimmee... want to move away from here.

I've worked for Disney and currently for a timeshare company, and I'm just done with this area. Not for me anymore.

Anyway, I want to finally attend school and already started the process of enrolling into HCC... would like to follow a track to Business Admin. and also take the auto body non credit course offered, since that's part of my hobby I don't know enough about yet.

Right now I have a full time job, working on getting some extra hours at either Disney or Universal and hope to build up a quick savings to start over there.

I've roughed it over the past couple years bouncing around, and never knew of these forums.

Anyway, thought I'd post a newbie thing introducing myself. I'm going to read through some more threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 11:42 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,277 times
Good luck!

Old 06-02-2010, 05:08 AM

173 posts, read 391,241 times
Let us know when you are closer to moving, and when you have moved. We can make sure you find interesting restaurants, cheap thrills, and amusing people. It's not easy leaving your comfort zone, but it sounds like you have a plan, and are working toward it.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
So whats the financial plan if you move to Tampa to go to school?
School all day and work all night?

Old 06-02-2010, 05:34 AM

794 posts, read 1,860,335 times
Congratulations! It's refreshing to see young ( I assume your young ) people get focused and working hard to chase their goals. It is amazing what a little hard work and determination can do for you. It worked for me helping me get here to Tampa and so far we love it.

I'm curious about what attributes regarding Kissimmee you don't like?

I wish you much luck!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 PM

Thanks guys...

Yeah, I'm 22.. So I guess I'm pretty young. My dad's interested to start over there as well, so I won't be totally solo... plus the girl I'm seeing is actually going to attend USF, which is part of how we grew closer.

Well financially, I have a full time job and I totally cut out frivolous spending. I've worked through about 10 budgets, and I know I need to update a few things, and save up for the nuisance stuff (I need new tags in October for one) but I should arrive with enough money to cover the living costs for about 2 months. I want to start school in the Spring, so hopefully I can work as much as I can for about 3 months, then do the school in the AM and work in the PM. I'm not a fan of free time, lol.

I've never had money, so I don't need a fancy place or a high paying job, which I think benefits me at this point.

I don't like Kissimmee because it runs off tourism. Unless you work in Hospitality or for one of the parks (which is about a 7-10 mile drive that will take anywhere from 15-45 mins to get too) there's really not much opportunity here. There's also some personal issues I've dealt with, and I just feel I've done all I can here, even at the ripe age of 22. Many of my peers in HS moved on to Orlando, Tampa, Gainesville, Tallahassee, etc. and don't regret it.

I moved from Kissimmee to West Virginia in 2008, back down to Polk County (Lake Wales & Frostproof), up to Taft (outside Orlando) and back to Kissimmee. I've just made a big circle.. lol.

Anyway, I'm also an avid football fan. Not the type to go to a bar and yell at the TV, but rather analyze and theorize possible scenarios ... well... basically I love the draft. I'd love to be a scout for the Bucs, or help out the Storm in some player personnel aspects.

After talking with some friends, and my boss who has really helped me out, they all say it's a chance I gotta take.

I don't fear failure as long as it's in the pursuit of success... I just gotta stack the deck right.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:33 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,339 times
kowboydmac, keep those values and skills you're applying to this adventure to Tampa and things can't go that wrong for you. You're way ahead of everyone already with that mentality. I had a very similar event when I was your age with Tampa and it was a very exciting time when you're that young and venturing into something different. You'll always remember how it was and learn a lot. Good luck.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:46 AM

Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to these up and down times of this adventure.

Question;

- I Want to attend HCC, and looks like Dale Mabry Campus is the spot for me, and my gf will be living in the dorms at USF... can anyone give me a heads up where I could live 30 mins from both places? My dad was interested in Lutz, but I think that would be a stretch to get to HCC @ Dale Mabry.

Gonna search out Waters Ave, as that is apparently the halfway point for both places.

Thanks

Last edited by kowboydmac; 06-03-2010 at 11:54 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 10:17 AM

17 posts, read 48,362 times
I'm mostly a lurker, but an avid reader of these boards. I'm bumping your post in hopes that you will get some answers to your questions. I'm rooting for you! Good Luck!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:32 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowboydmac View Post
Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to these up and down times of this adventure.

Question;

- I Want to attend HCC, and looks like Dale Mabry Campus is the spot for me, and my gf will be living in the dorms at USF... can anyone give me a heads up where I could live 30 mins from both places? My dad was interested in Lutz, but I think that would be a stretch to get to HCC @ Dale Mabry.

Gonna search out Waters Ave, as that is apparently the halfway point for both places.

Thanks
I'm sure somewhere in Carollwood would be very cenral to both locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay