Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 06:16 AM

632 posts, read 1,519,831 times

Advertisements

I have been a classroom teacher for over 20 years now, came to education from business and industry by choice, have seen students and parents change over this time period, and I enjoy my choice to teach and every day, give it my best in terms of attitude, professional developmemt and hard work.

However, on these boards I have read/heard teachers who rant and complain about their students, parents, principals, fellow teachers, etc. and I just don't understand why someone would stay in a profession that they dislike so much?!?!?

I understand students today are different and to some, they may appear lazy and seeking the easy way around things. I also know there are parents who are either non-existent or helicopter parenting. But I believe and have witnessed in my own classroom that when I put in at least as much work and dedication as I'm asking my students to put in, I am effective. Not every day goes smoothly, nor does it always go like I think it should ideally. But I don't believe it is my job to "control" every student to make sure they say and act like I think they should. IMO, I believe my job is to establish a safe environment conducive to learning, provide learning opportunities & activities that are relevant and inspiring, and to motivate students to do their best work through unique experiences, positive reinforcement (yes, positive as in positive feedback during the learning process so students know they are on the right path) and a safe, engaging classroom.

I've also learned that as long as I can come up with even ONE excuse as to why it is the student's fault, or the parent's fault, or my principal's fault, or society's fault, I don't have to change a thing I'm doing in my classroom to be more effective.

I suppose this sounds like utopia, but for at least 17 of my 20+ years, my classroom and experiences have been very close to this...even though at times, my students have come in with attitudes, etc. Much of the time, it isn't what they come in with, it is how I respond to what they come in with that makes the difference.

In my school, most of the teacher complaining comes from teachers who have taught less than 5 years. Those who have taught more than 5 years, well.....you don't hear them complaining. I don't know the scientific reason for this, but my guess is those teachers who didn't like it got out quick.

Now the question....why do those teachers who make excuses and complain incessantly continue to teach? It is just too difficult of a job to do effectively each day if you don't love it and if you don't love kids. I know many people who student taught and quickly changed their profession because they found out it wasn't for them.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 07:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times
Maybe they go in thinking they can make a change and spend a few years fighting for that change.
Then they realize the system is bigger than them and give up fighting and start working with the system. Those that don't leave.

You mentioned that "5 years" and that's what came to mind.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:35 AM

18,412 posts, read 19,070,288 times
lots of people 'hate" their jobs but don't quit because they have to pay the bills or it is all they are really qualified for. others just like to gripe

Old 01-01-2012, 08:39 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,848,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
I have been a classroom teacher for over 20 years now, came to education from business and industry by choice, have seen students and parents change over this time period, and I enjoy my choice to teach and every day, give it my best in terms of attitude, professional developmemt and hard work.

However, on these boards I have read/heard teachers who rant and complain about their students, parents, principals, fellow teachers, etc. and I just don't understand why someone would stay in a profession that they dislike so much?!?!?

I understand students today are different and to some, they may appear lazy and seeking the easy way around things. I also know there are parents who are either non-existent or helicopter parenting. But I believe and have witnessed in my own classroom that when I put in at least as much work and dedication as I'm asking my students to put in, I am effective. Not every day goes smoothly, nor does it always go like I think it should ideally. But I don't believe it is my job to "control" every student to make sure they say and act like I think they should. IMO, I believe my job is to establish a safe environment conducive to learning, provide learning opportunities & activities that are relevant and inspiring, and to motivate students to do their best work through unique experiences, positive reinforcement (yes, positive as in positive feedback during the learning process so students know they are on the right path) and a safe, engaging classroom.

I've also learned that as long as I can come up with even ONE excuse as to why it is the student's fault, or the parent's fault, or my principal's fault, or society's fault, I don't have to change a thing I'm doing in my classroom to be more effective.

I suppose this sounds like utopia, but for at least 17 of my 20+ years, my classroom and experiences have been very close to this...even though at times, my students have come in with attitudes, etc. Much of the time, it isn't what they come in with, it is how I respond to what they come in with that makes the difference.

In my school, most of the teacher complaining comes from teachers who have taught less than 5 years. Those who have taught more than 5 years, well.....you don't hear them complaining. I don't know the scientific reason for this, but my guess is those teachers who didn't like it got out quick.

Now the question....why do those teachers who make excuses and complain incessantly continue to teach? It is just too difficult of a job to do effectively each day if you don't love it and if you don't love kids. I know many people who student taught and quickly changed their profession because they found out it wasn't for them.

Any ideas?
It can be hard and require a commitment in order to change careers, on top of the fact that it takes admitting to oneself that they made the wrong career choice. Many people don't want to deal with these problems so they stay in a career they hate. I think though that people in fields where they're particularly important to the world owe it to themselves and others to get out of these career fields if they hate it. Life is too short and so is everybody else's.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:50 AM

652 posts, read 1,054,412 times
They don't want to invest the time/effort in another profession.

There are many advantages that come with teaching that other professions don't have.

I think when many start to experience burnout, they have advanced up the wage scale enough that they might not make the same amount of money that they would in another field. Teacher salaries are public info where I live...some of the worst teachers are at the top of the wage scale.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:51 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,279,590 times
Because I have been told my 60 IQ students have to pass the standardized tests like everyone else or its my job...and why can't they write a cohesive 5 paragraph essay?

Old 01-01-2012, 09:30 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,387,307 times
I think most complaints come from the frustration of being blamed for everything and not having the ability to make independent decisions. Teaching has definitely changed over the years, but most teachers are frustrated with standardized tests and state standards. Students learn in different ways so it is difficult to know that you could lose your job because of the students who are not good test takers or who just fill in the blanks.

As a high school teacher, I have a new supervisor who believes that all computers should be thrown out and students should struggle and teach themselves. He makes big bucks for this theory. He also believes that businesses will teach basics to their new hires.

Most states now require cooperative learning, but employers want independent thinkers. Teachers are evaluated on how well students work in collaborative pairs, yet employers don't want that. As a group of employers told our advisory two weeks ago that they did not like cooperative learning, stating, "we don't job share--we need independent thinkers." It is impossible to please everyone, so the frustration comes out.

I would say that even the newer teachers remember being a student and how they learned many things that were not in the "curriculum." Unfortunately for most of us, those days are over. If it is not in a state standard, then the material should not be covered. IMO, that is regrettable, and I believe that in 10 years we will see the effects of this and it will not be good. I hope that I am wrong.

My supervisor says that students today are much smarter than any other generation. Simply untrue. They are technologically smarter if you consider smarts to be using anything that starts with an I- or playing a video game. Since I mainly teach 13-15 year old students, I can tell you that they are still immature and that's the way it is supposed to be. No amount of standards will give them the maturity of an adult.

In today's economy, no one leaves a job unless they have another one lined up. It is too easy to criticize those who stay in any profession, but I think teachers once again get too much of the blame.

We are now in a society where every teacher must teach the same information on the same date. If it isn't in the curriculum, then we don't teach it. I don't find that to be education, but I find it extremely frustrating. I have been teaching over 30 years, but I believe most teachers probably feel the same way. All we want to do is teach to the best of our ability and provide the best education to all of our students. Being able to speak out is the first step in making positive changes.

I am now officially off of my soapbox! Happy 2012.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:03 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,592,073 times
Quote:

Any ideas?
You're jumping to conclusions here. I read a study, years ago, that found that people will tell 10 people about the things they are unhappy with but only 3 about the things they are happy with. It's human nature to let off steam about the things that bother us. Doing so helps us cope. It also opens the door to others points of view and possible solutions to our problems. We don't have a need to talk about what is working for us because it's working and we're happy with it. It's what's not working we have the need to talk about. Your mistake is taking that to be everything there is.

I tell my students they need to remember that they compare their insides to everyone elses outside. The outside is just what we let the world see or have a need to share with others. If you went by my posts here, you'd probably get the impression I hate teaching. I just don't have a need to talk to strangers about the parts I like. It serves no purpose for me. I do talk about the parts I don't like because I need support and I hope to find possible solutions. Also, in my case, talking about the parts I don't like helps me cope with the fact I can't stay in teaching. Focusing on the negative will help me make the transition back into engineering. Things aren't always what they seem.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:32 AM

632 posts, read 1,519,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You're jumping to conclusions here.
Can you please be specific about exactly what I'm jumping to conclusions about. My OP had many points, so I'm confused on the leap I made. Is the leap that people who complain ad nauseum about students, parents, administrators, etc. hate what they do? I firmly believe that when people show you who they are, I should believe them. When I see evidence to the contrary, I will believe differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I read a study, years ago, that found that people will tell 10 people about the things they are unhappy with but only 3 about the things they are happy with.
It's human nature to let off steam about the things that bother us. Doing so helps us cope. It also opens the door to others points of view and possible solutions to our problems.
This point I do agree with. I too believe letting off steam helps me cope and if I am genuinely open-minded to differing viewpoints, I may find alternative solutions to my dilemma and not just continually need to justify my position.

The flip-side, however, is that what I focus on grows. I create and see in my classroom what I think and believe I will create and see.

I do appreciate the power of speaking out in affecting change. I agree with SXMGirl's comment

"All we want to do is teach to the best of our ability and provide the best education to all of our students. Being able to speak out is the first step in making positive changes. "

I so agree that speaking out IS the first step in making positive changes, and I so appreciate that I live in a society where I have the power to do that, and I understand these forums are a way to do just that.

A point I will make, however, is that pointing the finger at others and not back at myself and my ability and influence to affect change isn't very effective nor is it good for my morale. If I argue long enough, I just might start to believe that the situation is hopeless and I can't do anything about it.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:54 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,592,073 times
Quote:
Can you please be specific about exactly what I'm jumping to conclusions about. My OP had many points, so I'm confused on the leap I made. Is the leap that people who complain ad nauseum about students, parents, administrators, etc. hate what they do? I firmly believe that when people show you who they are, I should believe them. When I see evidence to the contrary, I will believe differently.

This point I do agree with. I too believe letting off steam helps me cope and if I am genuinely open-minded to differing viewpoints, I may find alternative solutions to my dilemma and not just continually need to justify my position.

The flip-side, however, is that what I focus on grows. I create and see in my classroom what I think and believe I will create and see.

I do appreciate the power of speaking out in affecting change. I agree with SXMGirl's comment

"All we want to do is teach to the best of our ability and provide the best education to all of our students. Being able to speak out is the first step in making positive changes. "

I so agree that speaking out IS the first step in making positive changes, and I so appreciate that I live in a society where I have the power to do that, and I understand these forums are a way to do just that.

A point I will make, however, is that pointing the finger at others and not back at myself and my ability and influence to affect change isn't very effective nor is it good for my morale. If I argue long enough, I just might start to believe that the situation is hopeless and I can't do anything about it.
The conclusion you are jumping to is that because people complain they don't like teaching. The fact they stay tells me there is more they like about it than don't like about it. One does not have to be happy with every minute detail of their career choice to be happy with their career choice.

As I pointed out, people complain for a myraid of reasons and it's not always they hate what they are doing. Sometimes, they're just trying to vent or find ways to make things better.

As to your comment about pointing fingers, perhaps there's a reason people come to boards where no one knows who they are to do their venting. IRL, it might not be taken as venting and there could be repercussions. Yes, I sometimes want to shake my student's parents but I can't do that IRL so I vent about it here. We have to be careful what we let out IRL. Here, who cares. Worst case scenario, I log off...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching