Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:33 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,274 times

Advertisements

This Tuesday will be the last day for faculty at my school and as tradition dictates the last 5 years we've always done these kind of like goofy faculty awards. Like "most likely to leave the parking lot before the students" or "most likely to write a referral" stuff like that. Does anyone else work at a school that does these? Their fun and I get it but the last 3 years I've concluded as have some other staff members that all the awards are for the "in crowd" of the staff to goof on each other and self promote themselves / brag while the other 60 of us sit back and waste 45 minutes of our day when we could be leaving to go home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 09:58 PM

874 posts, read 2,893,081 times
We don't have that... I would be annoyed since I would prefer to spend that time organizing/packing up my room!

Old 06-03-2012, 10:08 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,972 times
I would like to have them only to let some teachers know our real opinions of them.

Like 'most likely to ignore dress code' or 'most likely to have an excuse'. My principal's idea of disciplining the staff is to make a blanket statement to the entire staff. People abuse things right and left and it drives me (a rule follower) bonkers.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:13 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
We don't do that where I am now but did at my last school. I didn't find it fun at all. Probably because they gave me the "Jeeves" award. Nothing like being called a brown noser by your peers to start your summer off right.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:54 AM

632 posts, read 1,516,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I would like to have them only to let some teachers know our real opinions of them.

Like 'most likely to ignore dress code' or 'most likely to have an excuse'. My principal's idea of disciplining the staff is to make a blanket statement to the entire staff. People abuse things right and left and it drives me (a rule follower) bonkers.
Go visit the "Mass Discipline" thread to see similar uses with students. I believe this doesn't work, but many teachers in that thread use mass discipline....but abhor it when it is used on them.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:59 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,271 times
It seems like a huge waste of time and a good way to stir up resentment. It reminds me of the thread where a teacher gave the student an award for most excuses for not turning in her homework. A lot of people objected to that, and their reasons are the same ones why it isn't a good idea to do that to adults either.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:18 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
I guess it's better to be strictly professional so as to avoid hurt feelings and resentment. But I gotta ask, why are high school students able to handle these kinds of awards better than the teachers?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:28 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,843 times
There was a story recently in the news about how traumatized a girl and her mother are that her teacher gave her an award about homework excuses. I'm betting it was given in fun but of course today, everything is taken so seriously and scars everyone for life. Her mother was all over the news. Bleh.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:35 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,278,045 times
My school does it as part of the end-of-the-year meeting/luncheon. Since they feed us I'm a big fan. Usually one teacher who is quite the comedian mc's it and they are tactful enough to not give an award that might actually be insulting. Examples would be that one teacher got a "dress code award" because she accidentally wore two different shoes to school one day.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:16 PM

632 posts, read 1,516,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I guess it's better to be strictly professional so as to avoid hurt feelings and resentment. But I gotta ask, why are high school students able to handle these kinds of awards better than the teachers?
Great question....as teachers, we often subject our students to things we personally wouldn't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching