Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:14 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,944,388 times

Advertisements

I like them. I don't know about the english core, but the math core is really focused on the CTM and is left vague to encourage teachers to use more hands on teaching methods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 04:27 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,639 times
I've had to teach a class on Science CC to other teachers and what they mean. I guided the discussion and Q&A session for a couple of hours before we all came to a general concensus. We are already teaching it.

I put a powerpoint up on the board, showing a one page excerpt from the Physics CC standards. This page had columns, tables, multi-colored text and probably 300-500 words - a good number of which were those $2 words I like to label "edu-speak." If you haven't seen one, ask our good friend Google to provide you with a sample. Out of all of this mess that we read, it was determiend that it says "teach Newtonian Mechanics." Which of course we were already doing.

I gotta tell ya, I will go through the dog-and-pony show that our administrators want from us - or I should say what they need to see us doing for evaluations. I will:
  1. nod my head and thank them when they hand me the CC science standards for my classes.
  2. set them upon the alter of the education gods and sacrifice a goat for them in a marvelous show for the state/feds.
  3. climb the mountain and sing their praises to one and all
then I will go back to my classroom and teach my kids chemistry and physics.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:02 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
I've had to teach a class on Science CC to other teachers and what they mean. I guided the discussion and Q&A session for a couple of hours before we all came to a general concensus. We are already teaching it.

I put a powerpoint up on the board, showing a one page excerpt from the Physics CC standards. This page had columns, tables, multi-colored text and probably 300-500 words - a good number of which were those $2 words I like to label "edu-speak." If you haven't seen one, ask our good friend Google to provide you with a sample. Out of all of this mess that we read, it was determiend that it says "teach Newtonian Mechanics." Which of course we were already doing.

I gotta tell ya, I will go through the dog-and-pony show that our administrators want from us - or I should say what they need to see us doing for evaluations. I will:
  1. nod my head and thank them when they hand me the CC science standards for my classes.
  2. set them upon the alter of the education gods and sacrifice a goat for them in a marvelous show for the state/feds.
CD won't let me rep you anymore, but:

Amen, brother.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:

My motto is that I strive to teach the kids Math "in spite of the system"

Old 04-09-2013, 05:25 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,201 times
I wasn't aware the science had agreed upon Common Core standards up to this point.

Anyways I guess there is a movement afoot by some state legislatures already to dump Common Core. I think about six states have gone down that path to this point, including Indiana.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:28 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:

Do you have a link to the science standards? I'd love to see them but I'm only seeing the math and english standards online. I really want to see what they've kept and cut. Whether we're really raising the bar or lowering it so more kids can pass science.

If I were tenured, I'd join you. Without protection, I just have to do as I'm told. ... or, at least, make it look like I'm doing what I'm told...

Old 04-09-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I wasn't aware the science had agreed upon Common Core standards up to this point.

Anyways I guess there is a movement by some state legislatures already to dump Common Core. I think about six states have gone down that path to this point, including Indiana.
Some of the preliminary examples were out that we were supposed to discuss and give feedback on. This was last summer when they were heavily discussing our state adopting it. I will be going back this summer to take more classes on the updated common core standards, which I will then teach to my science faculty. I'll get 18 hours in-service credit for this. I swear I think I'd rather be waterboarded.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:44 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,201 times
I think it's safe to assume that there will be less than stellar buy-in of the science Common Core standards.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Do you have a link to the science standards? I'd love to see them but seeing the math and english standards online. I really want to see what they've kept and cut. Whether we're really raising the bar or lowering it so more kids can pass science.

If I were tenured, I'd join you. Without protection, I just have to do as I'm told. ... or, at least, make it look like I'm doing what I'm told...
I'll get back to you on those links in a day or to, I hope. They are buried deep inside of my saved emails. I honestly haven't looked at them since last summer because I frankly don't want to. I'm already doing pretty much everything they asked me to anyway. Well, for the most part.

As for looking like we're doing what we're told, I know exactly what you mean. We play our dog and pony show every few weeks for the administration. Now that doesn't mean that what we do during our normal classes is much different than what we do during our evaluation. But in order to score high on the rubric, we must jump through a few hoops that most of us find silly and obviously designed by someone who hasn't stepped foot in a K-12 classroom in years, if ever.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:59 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Yes, but they are called the Next Generation Science Standards. They've been working on it for quite a while, and final version just came out today. The Next Generation Science Standards | Next Generation Science Standards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching