Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:47 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,148,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
Yes, but they are called the Next Generation Science Standards. They've been working on it for quite a while, and final version just came out today. The Next Generation Science Standards | Next Generation Science Standards
You're my hero. Thanks for posting these and saving me some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 02:31 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,747 times
Quote:
Yes, but they are called the Next Generation Science Standards. They've been working on it for quite a while, and final version just came out today. The Next Generation Science Standards | Next Generation Science Standards
Awesome, thank you!

Old 04-10-2013, 06:35 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
I haven't read much but what I've read has me nervous. It reads like an integrated science curriculum. We all know how well that worked for math....

As someone who learned science to do science, as opposed to teach it, I can tell you that what you need is to go deep. Integrated curriculums are, inherently, shallow. You can't put the cart before the horse when trying to teach kids to think.

I teach chemistry and for more than half the year, I feel like I'm pulling my students through a keyhole....then, right about this time of the year, I start to see something fantastic....the start of real thinking. Usually in the form of wrong answers based on putting things together without realizing there's more to consider but I LOVE IT. Their brains are starting to work, however, this is only after learning a lot of material and dragging them, time and time again, deeper into the material through that keyhole. It is so wonderful to see kids who have sat there all year now taking part in discussions and taking chances. I don't get them all by any means but I get a few. This is the time of year I really love....

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 04-10-2013 at 06:45 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 07:01 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,446,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Teachers, what are you thoughts about the new Common Core standards? Any praise or criticism at this point?
It's another bad idea hurtling headlong towards failure.

As happens so often in education, a flavor of the month, one size fits all approach is sold to legislators with no background in education, and it becomes law in state after state. This will end up on the scrap heap as did all that preceded it. As long as politicians presume to be more adept at schooling than teachers, we'll continue this descent into idiocy.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:18 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Here is an article about a group (BAT) of teachers whose voice is being heard about Common Core.

The 25,000 BATs, as they call themselves, are pushing back against the national standards with Twitter strikes, town hall meetings and snarky Internet memes.

READ MORE

Old 08-26-2013, 02:37 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,114,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
If a parent is breaking the law (abuse, abandonment, etc), there are laws for that.

Parents are responsible for their own children. I'm responsible for mine and you are responsible for yours. If a parent is following an educational model that differs from yours, that is really none of your business.
And if the issues villiage brought up are present,and the parent(s) don't live up to their end of the bargain, what happens to the kid(s)? Bad parenting in a general sense is nearly impossible to legally, objectively prohibit. But, even if you did find them in violation of some law, then what? Foster homes for the kids? Something else? What?

It's always amusing when someone with a very limited view of the world tries to tell everybody how things should be.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
CC may not be the Holy Grail but that is what States had to sign up for to get off the hook of the NCLB 2014 mandate.

School assessment won't be limited to other schools within your state.
You will be compared to schools in other states now for making progress.

The pressure of high stakes testing is going national.
You will have benchmark tests at the beginning of the year, a few in the middle and another one at the end.
The assessments will be computer based so all schools have to spend their own funds to upgrade their systems.
Multiple choice is going way and students will have to "defend their answers" via essay.

45 states have adopted common core. Why ? Well $4.35 billion dollars was dangled in front of them.
And common core will prepare all students for college. This statement is based on zero evidence though.
Common core will enhance national security. This statement based on zero evidence.
Common core will push more students into STEM. This statement based on zero evidence.

And states can't modify common core because they didn't originate them.
The Fed says they can't modify common core because they can't get involved in state education.
National standards that no one can change..how nice.
So it looks like common core is written in stone and can never be changed by anyone doesn't it ?

NY which implemented common core last year only had 31% of their students "pass".

And the sad thing about this is that very few know what is on the horizon.

The Biggest Fallacy of the Common Core Standards | Diane Ravitch

Old 08-27-2013, 09:39 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,677,837 times
Because CC does not really do what it's proponents say it will do, what I have seen is teachers cheating. Cheating will become more and more prevalent as teachers' entire careers are on the line. Teachers like me, who won't cheat, will be weeded out and the truly bad will bad teachers will remain and will be celebrated.

Teaching will not be about teaching anymore, but about figuring out how to pass a test.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:01 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,944,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Because CC does not really do what it's proponents say it will do, what I have seen is teachers cheating. Cheating will become more and more prevalent as teachers' entire careers are on the line. Teachers like me, who won't cheat, will be weeded out and the truly bad will bad teachers will remain and will be celebrated.

Teaching will not be about teaching anymore, but about figuring out how to pass a test.
I agree. It's pretty sad that the secretary of education has basically dismissed the pass scandals as isolated incidences that have no bearing on his education policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching