Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 04:34 PM

903 posts, read 3,582,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof2000 View Post
There may be a rush for inclusion but special ed is far from being obsolete. Special ed is very marketable and we need gifted and patient people to do that. If you want another endorsement I would pick up a reading one. It isn't necessarily special ed but it's helping struggling students and if that's already something you like you may find it rewarding. Speech pathology might also be good.
I would love speech pathology but I think I would need to go back for another full masters-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 06:50 PM

106 posts, read 477,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
I would love speech pathology but I think I would need to go back for another full masters-
There are actually quite a number of people whom I went to school with for whom speech pathology was a second career. Yes, you would need a masters degree but since you already have a background in special education, that would help your chances of getting into a grad program and some of your classes could transfer over. Nowadays I hear there are online programs available even, which was not the case when I went to school and so space in the master's program was limited but definitely having a background in teaching or even volunteering in educational or hospital settings was looked upon as a plus. Working as a SLP in a variety of settings has been a blessing. I've been fortunate enough to travel the world while getting paid. Working as a school based SLP can have a high burnout rate, same as other sped professions, not so much for the spwork you do with students but the endless paperwork and procedures that leave you with seemingly little time to provide direct instruction. But at the end of the day I feel that I am helping those less fortunate than me, have a voice and a way to communicate, and that is priceless. : Best of luck whatever path you decide to take. I am sure any school district will be lucky to have you

Old 01-19-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo's Mom View Post
There are actually quite a number of people whom I went to school with for whom speech pathology was a second career. Yes, you would need a masters degree but since you already have a background in special education, that would help your chances of getting into a grad program and some of your classes could transfer over. Nowadays I hear there are online programs available even, which was not the case when I went to school and so space in the master's program was limited but definitely having a background in teaching or even volunteering in educational or hospital settings was looked upon as a plus. Working as a SLP in a variety of settings has been a blessing. I've been fortunate enough to travel the world while getting paid. Working as a school based SLP can have a high burnout rate, same as other sped professions, not so much for the spwork you do with students but the endless paperwork and procedures that leave you with seemingly little time to provide direct instruction. But at the end of the day I feel that I am helping those less fortunate than me, have a voice and a way to communicate, and that is priceless. : Best of luck whatever path you decide to take. I am sure any school district will be lucky to have you

Thank you so much for the advice and kind words! Im going to call the college where I got my CAGS in Spec Ed and make an appointment.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:20 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,390,383 times
Why choose VI and HI endorsements?
1. Summer programs. 3 summers you have an endorsement.
2. No tuition. The programs are grant funded for low incidence disability.
3. No prerequsites.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:20 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,183,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
3. No prerequsites.
Sounds interesting.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,390,383 times
And huge job security.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
3. No prerequsites.

How would I find out more about these endorsements that have no tuition or other info are talking about?

Old 01-20-2013, 07:40 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,589,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Why SpEd? With the rush for inclusion, I see SpEd as being the dinosaur in the tar pit.

Most states do not sem interested in which endorsement you have within SpEd. I would do READING or ESL. If I had to do over I would steer clear of education and went into law or medicine.
That's not the case where I am at all. The law requires a certain number of speced hours, and therefore a certain number of speced teachers. Doesn't matter where the students are placed, the speced teacher still needs to be there. On the other hand, there are no laws requiring ESL teachers that I know of. We are usually kept to a bare minimum, whatever the school district requires, and habitually understaffed. Where I worked, ESL was bottom of the totem pole. Speced was respectable. Reading was eliminated in favor of a single "literacy coach," who didn't actually teach. Same with math.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,589,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
Thank you so much for the advice and kind words! Im going to call the college where I got my CAGS in Spec Ed and make an appointment.
Check the local market first. In my district there are no full time jobs for speech pathology and haven't been for many years, even when the market was good. Of course, I think there are other jobs for speech pathology outside of education, but I'm not sure.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,183,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Check the local market first. In my district there are no full time jobs for speech pathology and haven't been for many years, even when the market was good. Of course, I think there are other jobs for speech pathology outside of education, but I'm not sure.
In my large urban area school districts are almost literally begging for speech therapists. They are also needed in hospital settings (for stroke victims, people with brain injuries, etc), nursing homes and in private clinics. It is one of the few special ed specialities where you can make extra money by taking on private cases or by working part time with a private agency after school hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching