Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 07:52 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,326,854 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving rooms...again. It will be my 7th move in the past 14 years or so and it's not a good thing. We aren't supposed to start taking anything down or packing until the 21st. The office will start providing us with boxes at that time.

Our last student day is the 23rd and it is a 2 hour early dismissal. We have a staff meeting and lunch after that. I'd rather have that time in my room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 08:43 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
How many of you have a full day of school on the last day?

We did this year and it is in the calendar for next year. Not cool.
Only if we need to use it for snow makeup time.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I'll be moving rooms...again. It will be my 7th move in the past 14 years or so and it's not a good thing. We aren't supposed to start taking anything down or packing until the 21st. The office will start providing us with boxes at that time.

Our last student day is the 23rd and it is a 2 hour early dismissal. We have a staff meeting and lunch after that. I'd rather have that time in my room.
At least you know where you're going. I've been bringing everything home as I have no idea what grade or room I'll be in!

Old 06-12-2017, 09:13 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,326,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
At least you know where you're going. I've been bringing everything home as I have no idea what grade or room I'll be in!
Even during years when I haven't known going into summer I haven't taken anything home. Taking things home would be a pain.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:58 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,714,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
It can't work that way in the schools I am in. The high school has finals up until the bell and no time to clean/help. The Elem. school I haven't been able to do anything but testing up until 2 weeks ago and then I couldn't pull them out because the schedules were all wacked and I had to stay at the high school.

It doesn't work. It is strange. I have never NOT used students before.

And I couldn't really have had the elem. kids doing those boxes anyway......careful packing and very heavy.
That sucks majorly. I hope, I never have to move rooms. It's bad enough just to put items up for storage for the summer in my own room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
How many of you have a full day of school on the last day?

We did this year and it is in the calendar for next year. Not cool.
Every year since I've been teaching in the last 5 years. Always a full day.

I hate it.

Quote:
Not sure, if I'm staying in 4th but I didn't take anything home with me except items that I wanted or didn't want to risk to stay in the building.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:16 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
That sucks majorly. I hope, I never have to move rooms. It's bad enough just to put items up for storage for the summer in my own room.

Well, in some ways it is better than year round school and in some ways it is worse.

I worked in year round schools for 17 years. It was a Concept 6 model. We worked 4 months, off 2, 4 on, 2 off.

The problem was, the next track was right on your heels. So, Tuesday it was your room (Track A for example), and Wed. it would be B track coming in.

So, you had to pack up and teach that last day.

Dawn

Old 06-13-2017, 02:34 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Even during years when I haven't known going into summer I haven't taken anything home. Taking things home would be a pain.
TELL me about it. I can't believe how much stuff I accumulated over the last 7 years. Don't tell dh but I must have spent $3k of my own money on demos and labs and that's on top of the $2k I spent my first two years. I have lots of stuff.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:45 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Just give them your last good eval with the bad. Also you are going to need to come up with a better story if you want to teach again.

I wouldn't spend money on a lawyer. What exactly are you hoping to gain? You don't have a job, so save the money. Didn't you say something about working in a lab?

ETA: I'm 100% positive you'll never teach again if you sue.
Getting my evaluation thrown out. Once that is done I'll be able to work again.

The way I see it I have two choices:

1) Accept my career is over which means 10 years of lost wages, having to purchase medical insurance at full cost and no pension because I need three more years to vcest at a loss of about $1 million in wages, benefits and pension.

2) File lawsuit at a cost of about $50k that will most likely clear my name and leave me able to find work again. Part of the settlement will be a gag order so I expect I will be able to find work again. I just want the eval over turned and a reference letter from my principal so I can find a job.

What would you suggest for a story? I have no idea why I was targeted or why the other teacher was targeted. Fortunately for her she was not laid off so she's not headed for the unemployment line. Both of us feel like no matter what we did it wasn't what they wanted this year. I'd rather not have to come up with a story at all. I don't have to if the court overturns my eval. That is worth way more than $50k to me.

And no I'm not going to use an ambulance chaser lawyer. The lawyer I'm talking to next week comes highly recommended and has already declared that this will be a win. The question isn't whether we'll get the eval overturned. The question is whether or not I can recoup any of my legal fees. Honestly, if I can't recover my expenses $50k is a small price to pay for being able to work for the next 10 years. Not that I want to spend it or that it's not wrong that I'm put in this situation but you gotta do what you gotta do. What I can't do is roll over.

Sometimes life limits your choices. I don't like it and I wish it were different but it is what it is. I was mad when it first happened but now I'm scared I'll never work again. I won't work again if I can't get this overturned. Michigan has a law on the books that basically puts me at the back of the line for hiring. It's not right and it's not fair but life often isn't fair or right.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 06-13-2017 at 02:54 PM..

Old 06-13-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I don't have a home room. It's easier, in the long run, if I just keep it at home and take it as I need it. I kept my things in a 4th grade room this year, but things went missing and kids helped themselves to my property when I was in a different room.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Getting my evaluation thrown out. Once that is done I'll be able to work again.

The way I see it I have two choices:

1) Accept my career is over which means 10 years of lost wages, having to purchase medical insurance at full cost and no pension because I need three more years to vcest at a loss of about $1 million in wages, benefits and pension.

2) File lawsuit at a cost of about $50k that will most likely clear my name and leave me able to find work again. Part of the settlement will be a gag order so I expect I will be able to find work again. I just want the eval over turned and a reference letter from my principal so I can find a job.

What would you suggest for a story? I have no idea why I was targeted or why the other teacher was targeted. Fortunately for her she was not laid off so she's not headed for the unemployment line. Both of us feel like no matter what we did it wasn't what they wanted this year. I'd rather not have to come up with a story at all. I don't have to if the court overturns my eval. That is worth way more than $50k to me.

And no I'm not going to use an ambulance chaser lawyer. The lawyer I'm talking to next week comes highly recommended and has already declared that this will be a win. The question isn't whether we'll get the eval overturned. The question is whether or not I can recoup any of my legal fees. Honestly, if I can't recover my expenses $50k is a small price to pay for being able to work for the next 10 years. Not that I want to spend it or that it's not wrong that I'm put in this situation but you gotta do what you gotta do. What I can't do is roll over.
Did you even try handing over you final eval along with your past good ones?

As for what happened you aren't going to be able to blame the admin. You need to find a way to admit you have responsibility in the situation, you've learned from this, and you would like to move on. Admin don't like excuses that make other admin look bad. If you're willing to talk about other admin behind their back what will you say about them? Also no one will be looking to hire someone that's going to being negativity to the building. The fact is you do have responsibility in the situation. You were warned and didn't comply with the requests. You seem to have these issues every year. I get that you love teacheing but the political part if it is huge. You have to learn how to get along with and earn the respect of your admin. I'd also say something about the fact you were not let go because of the evaluation but due to a reduction in force. I agree with the poster who said carry it with you when you interview so you can explain it on the spot. You're not the first teacher to go through this, you will work again, but positivity is key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching