Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the teaching profession? (Particularly public high school teachers)
Teachers are mostly overworked, underpaid, and undervalued. 39 63.93%
Teachers get a decent salary for the work they do. Why complain? 5 8.20%
Teachers are mostly underworked, overpaid, and overvalued. 4 6.56%
Some are grossly overpaid/overvalued, others are grossly underpaid/undervalued. 13 21.31%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 02:03 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,849,531 times

Advertisements

What is your opinion of the teaching profession? (Particularly regarding public high school teachers)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 02:06 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,245 times
I think teachers have one of the hardest jobs out there. You couldn't pay me enough to be a teacher.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:28 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
I say education in general has too much red-tape.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:29 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Teachers work 3 out of 4 seasons unless you want to make extra cash, they have a bunch of union-driven perks, if they suck at their job, they get to keep their job, they work from 7 AM to 3 PM, they teach kids elementary to high school subjects and usually the same subject for the rest of their careers, their lesson plans can be downloaded for a cheap price... the teaching market is over flooded with people and will be hard to find a job because it is an easy career and the requirements are low but keep in mind they are hundreds of people looking for the same job.. if your kid fails, it probably isn't the teacher its probably you as the parent...

Old 03-03-2013, 02:35 PM

7-3 is eight hours, a typical working day. But wait, then they get to grade exams & papers too. Fun! Not. And why would you blame the teacher if your kid fails? It's the fault of the kid for not studying & probably the parents too if they're not making sure the kid is doing their homework & studying. I don't see how you could fault the teacher for that.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:39 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
7-3 is eight hours, a typical working day. But wait, then they get to grade exams & papers too. Fun! Not. And why would you blame the teacher if your kid fails? It's the fault of the kid for not studying & probably the parents too if they're not making sure the kid is doing their homework & studying. I don't see how you could fault the teacher for that.
Yeah, teachers are the only ones that ever take work home with them. And not every task at non-teaching jobs is "fun".

It's the teachers job to teach the kids. Teachers is the only profession that gets away with blaming their customers (parents) when they fail to do their own job. (Except for politicians )

The martydom of the teaching profession has reached epic proportions.

Don't blame me for not doing my job, it's the customers fault.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:44 PM

I never said other jobs don't have work that is taken home. And I never said other non-teaching jobs tasks were fun. The discussion at hand is specifically about teaching.

So you're saying that every kid that fails, it's the teacher's fault? Riiiight. Hey, I failed chemistry, I guess I should've blamed my professor instead of blaming myself for not studying.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:47 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
I'd say:

Our education system is deeply flawed and needs to be revamped from the bottom up.

There are some very good teachers, some very poor teachers, and the vast majority are in the middle.

-a teacher

Old 03-03-2013, 02:52 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,849,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Teachers work 3 out of 4 seasons unless you want to make extra cash, they have a bunch of union-driven perks, if they suck at their job, they get to keep their job, they work from 7 AM to 3 PM, they teach kids elementary to high school subjects and usually the same subject for the rest of their careers, their lesson plans can be downloaded for a cheap price... the teaching market is over flooded with people and will be hard to find a job because it is an easy career and the requirements are low but keep in mind they are hundreds of people looking for the same job.. if your kid fails, it probably isn't the teacher its probably you as the parent...
Just to be fair, I'm only referring to high school. And most teachers I know work a 10 to 12 hour day at least. Others work more depending on whether they are single, married, or have kids, etc. Think about after-school tutorials, sponsoring clubs and organizations, coaching, school events, parent/teacher conferences, faculty meetings, subject area meetings, etc. Do you think most teachers download their lesson plans? What about grading papers on the weekends? And if you teach at a bad school, what about calling parents, issuing deficiency plans, and creating differentiated assignments and activities, etc.

Not trying to belittle your response because that is what I asked for, and I'm sure a few teachers are real slackers, but I'm not sure if you know what all goes on behind the scenes... Do you think you could effectively engage, manage, and teach 90 to 175 teenagers (5 classes at 35 students per class) that all don't necessarily want to be there? Just food for thought...

Last edited by equinox63; 03-03-2013 at 03:01 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 02:58 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Just to be fair, I'm only referring to high school. And most teachers I know work a 10 to 12 hour day at least. Others work more depending on whether they are single, married, or have kids, etc. Think about after-school tutorials, sponsoring clubs and organizations, coaching, school events, parent/teacher conferences, faculty meetings, etc. Do you think most teachers download their lesson plans? What about grading papers on the weekends? And if you teach at a bad school, what about calling parents, issuing deficiency plans, and creating differentiated assignments and activities, etc.

Not trying to belittle your response because that is what I asked for, and I'm sure a few teachers are real slackers, but I'm not sure if you know what all goes on behind the scenes... Do you think you could effectively manage and teach 90 to 175 teenagers (5 classes at 35 students per class) that all don't necessarily want to be there? Just food for thought...
And every teacher knows what they are getting into. And if they don't like it they can find employment elsewhere. Aint no one forcing them to teach.

Every job has it's difficulties. Most people don't run around telling everyone how difficult their profession is while blaming their customers for their failures.

But teachers think they are special. lols.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching