Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 05:57 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,046 times

Advertisements

Are there any teachers out there in the public education system that are conservatives? Would you care to share stories about what it's been like for you to be part of a system that basically ridicules and scorns everything that you believe in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 07:01 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,255 times
You know full well that I am. There several at my school who are as well.

What is it, specifically, that you want to know?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:29 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,333 times
I'm a fiscal conservative, but a social liberal. A moderate in everything else. I would think it would be kind of hard to label most people with such blanket terms a "liberal' or conservative." And then you have the unique ones like me that were raised - and still for the most part practice - fundamentalist, but teach evolution with a vigor. I really haven't had too many issues with my leanings as they are all over the place.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 AM

808 posts, read 1,877,813 times
I always found it interesting that all my history teachers in high school were conservative middle aged white men. They made no pretenses at hiding it either. I remember watching a video about the downsides of Title IX and another video about the 'prosperity' of free market Hong Kong vs the poverty of bureaucratic India. One of them took things too far and was 'reassigned' after making ill advised comments in class about the chemistry teacher's Jewish ancestry. Other than that one douchebag though the rest were actually quite well liked among the students. That being said none of their political views seem to have stuck, as nearly all of my classmates from back then have liberal to moderate beliefs.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:51 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Guess it might be similar to being a liberal and working in a conservative charter school that basically ridicules and scorns everything that you believe in?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Guess it might be similar to being a liberal and working in a conservative charter school that basically ridicules and scorns everything that you believe in?

Well seeing as the liberals who've controlled our public education for such a long time now have failed our children in spectacular fashion yet continue to ask for more money and tell us how tough they have it I'd say that vast majority of those running the public system now deserve nothing but ridiule and scorn.

The public education system in this country is a joke and everyone knows it. What we've been doing hasn't been working and it's not a matter of lack of funding as the operators of this pathetic, broken system are wont to scream every time someone exhbits the the unmitigated gall in attempting to hold them accountable.

My children are both under the age of two but my wife and I have already decided we will do whatever it takes to help them escape the leftist prison camp known as the public education system.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:14 AM

So, Declan's Dad, this was not an inquiry or a prelude to a thoughtful discussion at all, now, was it. This was just another transparent, pathetic attempt insert more of your incendiary remarks.

You have no desire to have a meaningful discussion, do you?

Yes, we all get it. You hate liberals. You hate public education. You hate the unions. We are all just a bunch of lazy, whiny, good-for-nuthin's. Have I missed anything?

Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
So, Declan's Dad, this was not an inquiry or a prelude to a thoughtful discussion at all, now, was it. This was just another transparent, pathetic attempt insert more of your incendiary remarks.

You have no desire to have a meaningful discussion, do you?

Yes, we all get it. You hate liberals. You hate public education. You hate the unions. We are all just a bunch of lazy, whiny, good-for-nuthin's. Have I missed anything?

I wanted to hear stories from conservative teachers about what it has been like for them teaching in the public school system. I didn't address the thread to the liberal union hacks. I already know what there mantra is.........."creationism is bad; religious people are nuts; we poor teachers don't get paid enough; we're overworked and underpaid; it's not our fault the schools are so poor; blah blah blah. I've heard it all before.

Just because I don't post buttkissing articles about how rough public school teachers have it or how great they are on the teaching section does not mean I'm not allowed an opinion on education. On the contrary, as a father I care greatly about education. Education and teaching does not refer strictly to our public education system and one does not have to be a teacher to have an opinion on the matter. As a father I want my children to have nothing to do with the public system and obviously many, many other parents feel the same way.

If the public school teachers that get together on this site to comisserate as they whine about how unfair they are treated by parents do not like my threads or posts then they do not have to read them. I have no use for them anyhow.

Last edited by Declan's Dad; 04-10-2013 at 01:17 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
I wanted to hear stories from conservative teachers about what it has been like for them teaching in the public school system.
As a conservative teacher teaching in the public school system, I can tell you that there are people in both parties making it difficult to teach. BOTH parties get to share the blame EQUALLY for the problems with our education system.

BTW, it is conservatives who ushered in the "accountability with one test score" idiocy that Obama has latched on to. It's a dangerous way to evaluate teachers (that's why they don't use it in private schools) that creates more federal control. So, while he is increasing the role of the federal government in local schools, you, with your ignorance about accountability, are helping him all along the way.

Look in the mirror if you don't like public education.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
As a conservative teacher teaching in the public school system, I can tell you that there are people in both parties making it difficult to teach. BOTH parties get to share the blame EQUALLY for the problems with our education system.

BTW, it is conservatives who ushered in the "accountability with one test score" idiocy that Obama has latched on to. It's a dangerous way to evaluate teachers (that's why they don't use it in private schools) that creates more federal control. So, while he is increasing the role of the federal government in local schools, you, with your ignorance about accountability, are helping him all along the way.

Look in the mirror if you don't like public education.

You forgot about those ultraconservative teachers unions that are making it so tough to properly evaluate tachers too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching