Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 03:51 PM

542 posts, read 693,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS81 View Post
I will get my son tested for a disability, and reading all of these posts I realized that I should be tested, too. It takes me longer than others to complete the projects, but for some reasons my boss and my school do not complain. I think this disability is called perfectionism. I check my work few times to make sure that is done correctly. [...] But when I was in elementary school and high school I often requested additional time to complete the tests. [...] I tried working with the teacher. I asked her what are my options; I asked her if she can give my son more assignments so that he can succeed. She did not give any interest in helping him. No extra assignments, and she did not even mention that I can have him tested for disability. She marks the homework as late if he does not answer ONE question. And the principle told me that she lets other children to complete the tests during the lunch time.
I think you should definitely follow up with the principal - it sounds like the teacher has some issues that are making things more complicated.

I find it interesting that he can do all the work just fine, and he's fine on tests in other classes. Something about this class, the teacher, and this particular testing atmosphere that's not working well for him. When I was in school, I always did very well, but tests were hard for me, partly because of the perfectionism you mentioned. I'd get really anxious, and my mind would go blank at times, even though I knew the answer. If it was a scantron test, I'd obsess over filling in the bubbles exactly (and I didn't act like that at all in other areas of my life). Looking back, I probably should have attempted to get help for that. Maybe he could see a counselor or a coach for anxiety? Or have him work through all the problems as quickly as he can, and then at the end he can go back and check, to avoid getting stuck on one or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 11:32 PM

21 posts, read 52,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
I think you should definitely follow up with the principal - it sounds like the teacher has some issues that are making things more complicated.

I find it interesting that he can do all the work just fine, and he's fine on tests in other classes. Something about this class, the teacher, and this particular testing atmosphere that's not working well for him. When I was in school, I always did very well, but tests were hard for me, partly because of the perfectionism you mentioned. I'd get really anxious, and my mind would go blank at times, even though I knew the answer. If it was a scantron test, I'd obsess over filling in the bubbles exactly (and I didn't act like that at all in other areas of my life). Looking back, I probably should have attempted to get help for that. Maybe he could see a counselor or a coach for anxiety? Or have him work through all the problems as quickly as he can, and then at the end he can go back and check, to avoid getting stuck on one or two.
I was exactly same way, and I'm suspecting that my son has the same problem. We are going to see the doctor tomorrow. Let's see what he is going to say.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:55 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,931,841 times
I didn't read all the posts so sorry if you mentioned this. I would get him a tutor to examine how he's doing his work and try and give techniques to help.

You CAN get additional time if it's in the IEP. However, my son's sophomore math teacher was so hostile and obnoxious ("I don't believe in IEPs") ...I removed him from the class and finished the math at HOME with a tutor certified teacher (or whatever the school required, I forget now).

As it turns, out he remembered that particular year's math forEVER. Even 10 years after graduation.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,161 times
Stop trying to label the kids!! We all learn differently and have varying gifts.
Is it more important that this child understands the concepts being taught, or that the child can complete the task speedily? This teacher needs to either shorten her tests to still include each standard, or give all the students an opportunity to complete the test without a time crunch. Fortunately she will find that not every student will need extra time. People keep mentioning the unfairness to the other children if this young man gets more time. I submit to you all that if you are an educator that seeks to make a difference, you have a keen understanding that "fairness" is not trying to make sure everyone gets the same thing, rather that everyone gets what they need. I am tired of people who want to pretend that these kids are not being forced to live up to a higher standard than we ever had to.
I am shocked to read some of the postings in response to this parent and her concerns. She stated that her son is excelling in other courses and that she has monitored him as he has put in extra effort studying and practicing. Math is obviously more of a challenge for him than other subjects. Guess what? there is nothing wrong with that. We can't be good at everything. To the mom who posted the original concern, if you listen to these people you are crazy. That is your child, you are responsible for him. Get him what he needs and let the other parents, the teachers, and the school system worry about what the other kids need. If you can't get this teacher to make some adjustments, go over her head and anybody else's head that gets in the way of you helping your son maintain his confidence and desire to learn. By the way I must be slow too. I have always had the time issue and anxiety with math, and I have a BS in Nursing and I am now working on a Pre Med Biology degree. Half the people responding on this issue can't spell cat and certainly could not do that same math test being completed by that child in 7th grade.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:58 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,209,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrazier View Post
Stop trying to label the kids!! We all learn differently and have varying gifts.
Is it more important that this child understands the concepts being taught, or that the child can complete the task speedily? This teacher needs to either shorten her tests to still include each standard, or give all the students an opportunity to complete the test without a time crunch. Fortunately she will find that not every student will need extra time. People keep mentioning the unfairness to the other children if this young man gets more time. I submit to you all that if you are an educator that seeks to make a difference, you have a keen understanding that "fairness" is not trying to make sure everyone gets the same thing, rather that everyone gets what they need. I am tired of people who want to pretend that these kids are not being forced to live up to a higher standard than we ever had to.
I am shocked to read some of the postings in response to this parent and her concerns. She stated that her son is excelling in other courses and that she has monitored him as he has put in extra effort studying and practicing. Math is obviously more of a challenge for him than other subjects. Guess what? there is nothing wrong with that. We can't be good at everything. To the mom who posted the original concern, if you listen to these people you are crazy. That is your child, you are responsible for him. Get him what he needs and let the other parents, the teachers, and the school system worry about what the other kids need. If you can't get this teacher to make some adjustments, go over her head and anybody else's head that gets in the way of you helping your son maintain his confidence and desire to learn. By the way I must be slow too. I have always had the time issue and anxiety with math, and I have a BS in Nursing and I am now working on a Pre Med Biology degree. Half the people responding on this issue can't spell cat and certainly could not do that same math test being completed by that child in 7th grade.
If you have a BS in nursing why do you also need a pre-med in biology? I've had friends who had to take one or two additional classes but their nursing degree was otherwise sufficient.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:58 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,306,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If you have a BS in nursing why do you also need a pre-med in biology? I've had friends who had to take one or two additional classes but their nursing degree was otherwise sufficient.
The curricula are very different. Nursing coursework typically does not include the required calculus, as well as the organic chemistry and physics required for the MCAT. Someone with a bachelors degree in nursing generally needs around a year of coursework to meet the pre-med requirements.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 683 times
If the teacher doesn't allow a student to finish a test, I think it's the teacher's fault. Not all kids work the same as others. Most schools have an allotted time when kids can work, so I don't think the teacher having to get payed would be an issue in that sense. The parent mentioned that EIGHT other children didn't finish, which in the average sized classroom is 32%. The teacher should've learned that these children NEED more time.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,599,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS81 View Post
My son is in 7th grade (Pre Algebra 2). In previous years he was an A student, and he really liked math. Now he gets F's and D's because he fails every single math test. The problem is timing. He completes 50% of the test correctly, but he has no time to finish the rest. He does his homework really well; he barely makes any mistakes, but he takes his time; he does not like to rush. Also, he scored high (Algebra level) on the MAP test (this test is not timed). He understands math problems and he knows how to solve them. He just can't solve them quickly. I tried practice with him more so that he can speed up. It did not work. He gets too nervous, and he starts to make silly mistakes. I asked his teacher if she could give him an extra time. She refused. I don't know what to do anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions? Can teacher refuse to give additional time to complete the test? Can I legally demand an additional time?

Everything in your life is timed, including your life.

Reality is harsh. He has the same amount of time as everyone else taking that test. The world will not slow down for him. Part of his learning curve appears to be learning to use his time more wisely.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:51 PM

159 posts, read 137,142 times
This just chaps my hide! It's more important to show that a student understands the concepts and formulas than to "do it fast." Why I don't teach K-12.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:49 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,589,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSweeney View Post
This just chaps my hide! It's more important to show that a student understands the concepts and formulas than to "do it fast." Why I don't teach K-12.
Do you seriously think that your boss doesn't view one employee who needs twice as long as another to complete a task differently? Which one gets promoted and which one gets laid off? Which trauma surgeon do you want operating on you after your accident? The one who works quickly to stop your bleeding or the one who needs more time?

As a teacher I write tests that any student who has been paying attention should be able to finish in the allotted time. Many of my students finish in half the time. Often not being able to finish is indicative of not paying attention or not doing the practice work. Besides, my students need to go to their next class and I change classrooms twice a day so I don't have the option of giving them extra time. Students who have legitimate reasons for needing extra time have IEP's and they take their tests in another room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching