Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 03:28 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,204,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeyer2013 View Post
When they need you; they need you yesterday. When they don't; they won't even send you a form letter no thank you email.
A good friend loves teaching in Colombia. It was 80F yesterday. I was in Thailand last Summer, activated my resume on a job board and had four offers in one week, including one in Krabi. Later I was reoffered my part time, no benefits teaching job in Phoenix that hadn't existed for over a year. Meanwhile, I had sold both my homes within four miles of the school. WTF? Did they really think I was going to sit there by the phone and wait for them to call me back to work in some Hellhole city? When the writing is on the wall, move on.
Teaching in a foreign country is certainly a possibility. I know two people who are teaching English in Asia, neither one of whom was a licensed teacher. One has been teaching in Okinawa for three years and the other started teaching in August/September in Taiwan. Both seem to like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 03:33 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
It's getting to the point of, after my unemployment runs out, I will not be able to support myself. I don't have money to get more certifications, get certified in another state, or move. I just feel like there is no job for me in teaching. It's been four years in May.
Isn't there reciprocity between NJ and some other states?

Old 01-20-2014, 04:05 PM

678 posts, read 1,065,509 times
There are quite a few online K-12 schools but I'm not sure if you need to be a resident of the state or just certified in order to teach there. I would recommend checking into those if you are comfortable teaching online. Otherwise you might check with Teach For America, I know they have some teaching positions available but I don't know if they'd have any in your area. You may want to check them out those as they are hiring for the 14-15 school year. They also have some administrative positions that you can work from home, when searching you'll need to choose remote.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:33 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,696 times
To OP. Relax and think this through if you really want to teach. Not to be mean, but from your posts there appears to be a lot of negativity. You don't like the aide because she doesn't do her work. Sometimes we just have to suck it up. If teaching is truly your calling, sub during the day. Work part-time at night and save money to take additional PRAXIS. If you are saying you are not taking additional classes,etc the school will look for someone that will go the extra mile. Plenty of teachers have been hired in NJ without connections just like plenty of teachers everywhere get hired with connections that have no business being in a classroom. Good luck. Decide is teaching is your calling.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:04 PM

442 posts, read 1,078,322 times
The problem with online "schools," which are junk in the first place, is that they require more work and for far less pay than a real teaching job. Besides, I regard those "jobs" as little more than call center jobs.

TFA is nothing but a scab operation designed to undermine teaching as a profession.

Overseas teaching isn't a real option not just because of finances, but because many, many countries have age restrictions and openly discriminate against people in their fifties and sixties.

Education is simply a bad field, period. People really need to do the research on job opportunities before plunging into an education program.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:09 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,828 times
I can't take any classes. I don't have the money and part of unemployment is not enrolling in college classes. I am negative, because I keep getting short changed. I know so many teachers who are terrible and they get to keep their jobs, even in a nontenure situation. I went above and beyond, and only my flaws were pointed out. I understand there is politics and favoritism, I don't really see how I can do all of her job. Like one example, children are supposed to supervised in the bathroom. Now, if I'm doing an activity, she's SUPPOSED (as director wanted) be watching them. She claims they're ok unsupervised. Then, they make a mess and she said after she refused to watch them, while I'm doing something with the majority, while did NOTHING and claims they can be unsupervised she says "X made a mess in the bathroom. Why didn't YOU watch them?". When I would get on her to do so little, she was mopey and a tattle tale. The only thing I wish I knew was she was passive agressive and down right nasty, when no adults were around. I would often get "caught" (I wasn't sneaky about it) yelling at her, but people never heard the exchanges she gave me.

If I can stay in education, as I can't afford to move out of state, I think I will try and work another prek and try very hard to move into a higher grade that doesn't have an aide.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:14 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
The problem with online "schools," which are junk in the first place, is that they require more work and for far less pay than a real teaching job. Besides, I regard those "jobs" as little more than call center jobs.

TFA is nothing but a scab operation designed to undermine teaching as a profession.

Overseas teaching isn't a real option not just because of finances, but because many, many countries have age restrictions and openly discriminate against people in their fifties and sixties.

Education is simply a bad field, period. People really need to do the research on job opportunities before plunging into an education program.
This is so true. In my defense, I graduated in 2010. I went to a teaching school. Every professor was singing a song and dance about how there were jobs and they would help us. Even the professors showed favoritism. Like I had one professor say she didn't help people get jobs and listed reasons why. The one person she willing to help failed out of the program. The only real taste I got of how it would be was a class I took before student teaching, i.e. too late. The professor said why do you want to be a teacher. 99% of the class said mom, aunt, sister was a teacher and could get them a job.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:58 PM

469 posts, read 1,037,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post

It's ironic that in my four years at a very reputable state university; I did not have one single teacher, with an education degree. Yet, many on this forum take every opportunity possible to bash teachers, who did not start out with a B.Ed.. "Sorry, Mr Gates, the computer science teaching position at our community college requires a degree in education."

Old 01-21-2014, 05:17 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,780 times
Quote:
I'm P-3 LICENSED. No, I don't want to move out of state and pay those fees and possible take more tests/Praxis and/or classes to be certified somewhere else.
I think it's somewhat unusual for a P-3 teacher not to be able to find a job, even at PK, although I'm not familiar with the NJ market. Did you attend a reputable school? Are you a native speaker of English? Your posts have a high number of grammar mistakes, which I guess could be typos, but I'm wondering. I am not criticizing, but I wonder about a school that would allow someone with less than perfect English writing skills to graduate, as I think it is nearly impossible to get an elementary job if you don't speak perfect English (with the possible exception of bilingual teaching).

And to be honest, if you are an obvious foreign born person, with an accent and native clothing of some sort, you are really fighting an uphill battle to get any kind of pk-6 job.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:49 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times
Quote:
The professor said why do you want to be a teacher. 99% of the class said mom, aunt, sister was a teacher and could get them a job.
I don't buy this at all, and it makes me question some of the other things you have said about your situation. Maybe you don't perceive things the way many other people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching