Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:07 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,533 times

Advertisements

They say in the corporate world you can praise in public but criticize behind closed doors. Is this true for Community College Instructors?

If I call on a student in class and I can tell he did not read the material, or had been paying attention in class by his attempt at an answer, what should I say next? Should I just move on, or call him to task in front of his classmates to show him I knew he was being lazy and had not read the homework material and had not been listening in class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 07:00 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,387,186 times
Just move on and do NOT criticize a student in front of the class. Ever. You're being paid to teach the class, not be his parent. If the student chooses not to study, his grade will reflect that.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:11 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
They say in the corporate world you can praise in public but criticize behind closed doors. Is this true for Community College Instructors?

If I call on a student in class and I can tell he did not read the material, or had been paying attention in class by his attempt at an answer, what should I say next? Should I just move on, or call him to task in front of his classmates to show him I knew he was being lazy and had not read the homework material and had not been listening in class?
Treat your students as if they are your clients and your equals in every way except your knowledge of the material. Never ever embarrass anyone or be disrespectful. I do know teachers who do that, but I don't think they are good teachers and sometimes wonder how they've managed to keep their jobs so long.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:18 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
Quote:

I agree with the other commenters. The student knows he didn't read the material. Why is it important to you to "show him [you] know he was being lazy"?

In point of fact, you don't know the student was being lazy. Many community college students are working full time and may have families, and you are unlikely to ever be aware of all the challenges that make it hard for them to keep up with the work. On top of that, many community college students don't have the personal and family educational background to prepare them to succeed at a college level. Publicly humiliating a student could be the thing that pushes them out of a higher education from which they could benefit if they are able to stick with it and succeed.

If you want to "win" this confrontation, talk to the student privately and ask if s/he would like a referral to additional resources to help them succeed. When the student succeeds the teacher succeeds.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:49 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,533 times
Interesting replies, but just because the students have challenges outside of class does not mean that the teacher should give them a pass. If the individual was working in corporate America and had a number of personal and family challenges and was distracted would a tough boss give them a break? No.

Some may say that sometimes public shame is what a lazy student needs to motivate himself.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:23 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,173,562 times
You are teaching adults, that means you treat them as such. You are not their boss, they are not your subordinates. You are being paid to supply them with information. If they don't learn their grade will show that.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:50 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
Quote:
Interesting replies, but just because the students have challenges outside of class does not mean that the teacher should give them a pass.

Some may say that sometimes public shame is what a lazy student needs to motivate himself.

Nobody's telling you to "give them a pass". Grade them fairly based on performance, but don't publicly humiliate them. If that's how you get your jollies maybe you shouldn't be teaching.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:57 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,858 times
Quote:
Interesting replies, but just because the students have challenges outside of class does not mean that the teacher should give them a pass. If the individual was working in corporate America and had a number of personal and family challenges and was distracted would a tough boss give them a break? No.

This comparison is pointless. The goal of a corporation is not to help its employees. It's to make money, and the purpose of the employee is to help the company do that. The purpose of a community college is to help the student. The student isn't helping us by doing their work. Anything that does not directly benefit the student in terms of helping them learn and further their academic career is not appropriate.

Public shame might work in high school, when students have no choice but to attend class. However, it doesn't work in college, when students can just as easily stay home, and the challenge is to keep them coming back.

They don't "get a pass" because their grade reflects their work. But this is impersonal, or should be. They are paying for accurate feedback, and that means an accurate grade. They aren't paying to be humiliated.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:58 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:

Shame is not a motivator because it generally promotes inaction. Teachers use it, but they shouldn't. If you want your students to be able to make mistakes and acknowledge them and use them to promote their learning, shame needs to be out of the picture. Shame makes people afraid to ask for help when they need it.

I do think that the person who said that you can speak to the student after class and offer him resources to help him was correct. After all, as a teacher, you want all your students to learn.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:12 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,677,837 times
Adults are far more capable of shaming you back. Even if the student you are targeting doesn't do it, another student could. I might if you caught me in the right mood.

You will also lose the respect of the other students who are being forced to witness a very uncomfortable situation. That'll go on your student evaluation at the end of the semester and you'll be pulled aside and get a private talkin' to.

You're retired now? Are you retired from teaching and are now teaching adults?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching