Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 11:46 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,774,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Texas had the continuing contract which equates to tenure.
But Texas moved to term contracts (1-2 years) with anyone having a continuing contract grandfathered for as long as they had that position.
Continuing contract is exactly what tenure is at the K-12 level.
The term contracts required cause to be non-renewed, but do not have the same due process restrictions as a continuing contract. You still get a school board hearing, but not an independent examiner hearing, so the process is pretty simple. But a teacher whose term contract is not renewed could still bring a wrongful termination against the district. A probationary teacher who is not renewed cannot, and so they essentially have no discrimination protections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 01:51 PM

7 posts, read 9,472 times
Default How does a fish stink?

I retired as a NYC high school math teacher 3 years ago. I took early retirement at 56, because I was fed up and had saved my money when I was younger. And yes, I saw lazy teachers. One guy just showed movies to his kids all day. Another just handed out the same worksheets term after term, like a robot. They were each collecting over $100k a year. But everyone always blames the teachers only. There are others involved, and the fish stinks from the head down.

My assistant principal was the worst waste of space I have ever seen. She spent her day working her makeup, her nails, and chatting on the phone with her sister. No joke, and no exaggeration. Two or three hours a day on the phone. She ran a small department, and never taught a class like they are supposed to. She made over $120k a year. Her friends would get paid for an extra period to sit around and chat with her. When one was absent, the others in her group would cover for the absentee. So they all had "perfect" sick records. That money belonged to the kids, not to the AP. I don't know how these people got away with this.

What everyone assumes, and which annoys me the most, is that students are distributed randomly like from a deck of shuffled cards. Nothing could be further from the truth. Teachers are tracked, just like the students. I am 6'5" and from day one, they wanted me as a cop, not as a math teacher. But not just me. The same teachers always got the good kids, the same teachers always got the tough kids. I would get 34 kids in an "on track" class, but 30 out of those 34 would be either special ed, remedial, or both. My friends told me I was good with them. So my reward for doing the hardest work of the organization was to get more of the same. Time and time again. Emotionally challenged, or hoodlums.

The classes of my AP's friends--the ones who got paid extra to chat--were composed of 20 Chinese girls. So who do you think got good results at the end of the year? Are the teachers in Watts or the South Bronx bad teachers because they get bad results? Are the teachers in Little Neck or Beverly Hills good teachers because they get good results? Even Mayor Bloomberg, no friend of teacher unions, said there had to be some way to account for this. But there really isn't.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:50 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,629,164 times
How come the administrator allowed him to show movies all day. That should be easy to stop- just tell the teacher he can not do it. Document you told him and check daily what he is doing. If he disregards that order he is insubordinate and through progressive discipline starts to lose days of pay.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:16 AM

7 posts, read 9,472 times
Default Quell the riot

In many of these classes the admin isn't looking for academic performance. They have educational classes--filled with Chinese girls--for that. What they want in these other classes--filled with as one poster said "delinquents and dingbats"--is that there be no trouble. No fights or what have you. Baby sitting classes is what they are. These kids are segregated out so they don't pull down the numbers in the good classes.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:49 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,629,164 times
So how is that the teachers fault and why should that teacher lose his job because of that?

Old 06-13-2014, 07:55 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,570,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
No tenure does seem to turn teaching into an AT-WILL situation. You are liable to be fired for making too much money (though now it is very unlikely teaching will ever pay enough have have a life), fired because you refused to work that 15th extra hour at the football game or sponsor that after school club, or wax the floors and take the trash out, or refused to raise Bobby's grade in algebra just because his mom is the assistant superintendent, or because you refused to resign your union membership....

The problem with teaching as an at will profession is there is no competition for teachers. Teachers tend to be hired into a district and retire from that district. It's not like industry where it's common for people to move to gain pay or better opportunities. Since teachers start at step one in a district every time they move, they don't want to move. In industry, I saw people put 25% on their salary by moving.

I remember one coworker who really wanted a management position but wasn't moving that direction so she took a job in another company for a year then hired back in as a manager and about doubled her salary with the two moves.

Teaching as an at will profession will work only if districts start offering more pay to entice good teacher's away from other districts. Lateral moves in teaching are costly.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The problem with teaching as an at will profession is there is no competition for teachers. Teachers tend to be hired into a district and retire from that district. It's not like industry where it's common for people to move to gain pay or better opportunities. Since teachers start at step one in a district every time they move, they don't want to move. In industry, I saw people put 25% on their salary by moving.

I remember one coworker who really wanted a management position but wasn't moving that direction so she took a job in another company for a year then hired back in as a manager and about doubled her salary with the two moves.

Teaching as an at will profession will work only if districts start offering more pay to entice good teacher's away from other districts. Lateral moves in teaching are costly.
Texas doesn't work like that. Step pay is based on years of teaching experience, not years with the district/school.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:56 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,431,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
You shouldn't have to molest kids or commit heinous crimes against children in order to be fired, and that's part of the problem.
You are right, but that was one of the main concerns the LAUSD Sup. stated during his testimony about how difficult it is even to get rid of teachers who commit heinous crimes against students was my main point. Now if you are talking about teachers who can't manage a classroom or who just can't be effective with students. Then, that falls on the administration for allowing that teacher to get tenure in the first place.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
How is that any different compared to the working world?
It's not I am just stating something my friend told me. But I can see where this is going, and I think that as a teacher with 21 years of teaching experience behind me, it saddens me that people aren't really addressing what's actually going on many of our classrooms. Just go visit your local high school, middle or elementary school and you might be amazed at the good classroom instruction that's going on, or your might be shocked to find out what many teachers are dealing with day in and day out in their classrooms, and for many it's not pretty at all.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I'm confused here. I am in favor of getting rid of bad teachers, but how is tenure deemed unconstitutional?
According to the judge who ruled on this, he feels that the state's laws governing teacher tenure and the firing of public school teachers is unconstitutional because they interfere with the state's obligation to provide every child with access to a good education.

Now what's so funny about that statement is the fact of class sizes in the state of California. Some school districts, have as many as 34 elementary children in one classroom. I work for a district where I had as many as 34 students in my classroom. Now that the state of CA has a little more money to play with, my district will reduce my class size by a WHOPPING two students where I can max out at 32 and have no less than 28 for the next coming school year.

So please tell me, when 85% of my students are second language learners, and with the law that says I AM MANDATED TO PROVIDE 30 MINUTES of ELD English Language Development Instruction for my ELL students at different English Learning Level proficiency that I am able to juggle all of the other subjects that I have to teach by providing those students with a good education?

I have too many in my classroom with different learning levels and abilities to be highly effective as they want me to be. When you look at how the whole ELD program is supposed to work, and the reality of it in our classrooms, that in of itself is interfering with every ELL child having access to a good education because the state doesn't want to pay ELD teachers to pull those students out of the classroom to get that English language development support. Instead, California elementary teachers have to juggle the 5 different ELD levels by not having more than two level groups together while the English only kids are left to fend for themselves during that 30 min block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching