Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 831 times

Advertisements

I decided to take a year off of teaching this year to work on my fiction writing. It's something that has been brewing for a few years and I just bit the bullet and told my last school that if I don't work on my novel now, I never will. I found teaching (high school English) totally incompatible with having time to write so I had to pick one or the other. They said ok, but gave no guarantees that they would hire me back in 2015, though I wouldn't really want to return to that school anyway.

Now, two months into the school year, I'm having a bit of anxiety about my decision. Writing is going ok but I don't have a lot of confidence that I will produce something publishable--though I have a few short stories published in well-regarded journals previously. I realize now that a year is a long time and I might not look that attractive to administrators next year, or that it will look like my commitment to the profession is low. I was only teaching full-time for three years until this year but did teach part-time before that for a few years--so let's say a grand total of five years teaching experience.

So I'm asking the community here for ideas to keep my skills up to date. I've thought of the obvious things--subbing and tutoring-- but I feel a lot of admin wouldn't view that as serious work. Does anything else come to mind?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 03:17 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,261,031 times
Professional development is what really keeps you current. Do you belong to a professional organization? You could also attend seminars or webinars. That would show you are continuing to learn and refine skills, rather than implementing someone else's lesson plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching