Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 09:29 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,803 times

Advertisements

Teacher allegedly ‘knocked out cold’ by a student’s mother | New York Post

Quote:
“It’s not like I thought a parent would do something, but I knew something violent was going to happen,” Engelhardt told WABC/Channel 7 from her home.
“I’ve warned them time and again that the children have no respect for adults. Yes, I fear for my safety. They can’t control the kids.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 10:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
And people wonder why there is a high turnover rate in problem schools.

And this is a problem school.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:19 PM

115 posts, read 165,466 times
Hmmph, the stapler on my desk would've connected with her head...

Old 04-17-2015, 06:25 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classie View Post
Really? That's how things 'roll' in your school? I hope your employer doesn't read this forum.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:50 PM

80 posts, read 162,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Really? That's how things 'roll' in your school? I hope your employer doesn't read this forum.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:55 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Its called self defense. Employer has nothing to do with it.

Just because someone is a teacher doesn't mean they are suckers or should keep turning cheeks until they are unconscious.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:18 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

Just because someone is a teacher doesn't mean they are suckers or should keep turning cheeks until they are unconscious.
Unfortunately, in many people's eyes that is exactly what it means.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:24 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Unfortunately, in many people's eyes that is exactly what it means.
Sorry, Mack Knife, but I have to agree with Oldhag.

Yesterday, I had to break up a fight between three male HS students. Two were about six foot two and the third was about foot foot ten (I'm a 5'6" woman in my middle 60s).

Hmmm, you can not touch the students. All you can do is get between them, if possible, and hope they do not claim that you did anything to them or that you touched them. Luckily, my yelling at them to stop as well as them knowing that I sent students to get other teachers and the on site police officer broke up the fight before anyone, including me, was injured.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:17 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Sorry, Mack Knife, but I have to agree with Oldhag.

Yesterday, I had to break up a fight between three male HS students. Two were about six foot two and the third was about foot foot ten (I'm a 5'6" woman in my middle 60s).

Hmmm, you can not touch the students. All you can do is get between them, if possible, and hope they do not claim that you did anything to them or that you touched them. Luckily, my yelling at them to stop as well as them knowing that I sent students to get other teachers and the on site police officer broke up the fight before anyone, including me, was injured.
Without getting into specifics, take this small portion of advice:

Never, ever get in between two people that are fighting. When you do that, you become a target for both because neither will see you as their proponent but rather see you as an opponent and siding with the other person.

There is nothing in your job statement or requirement that says you must give up your personal safety or your life to prevent two people from hurting each other. The requirement to maintain control or lend assistance can be accomplished through a employing a variety of other methods that give you the best chance of going home instead of a ride in a hearse.

One trick is to call each person (student) by name if you know them. It removes any sense of anonymity they might feel and cause them to stop or pause long enough for some sense to take over.

I hear you but your life is worth more than those of people intent on harming each other. You can't do the greater good for so many who need good teacher if you aren't around to do it.

It isn't that their lives aren't worth as much as anyone else's it is just that when the balance sheet gets totaled, the value is with the greater number of kids you can help, not the two that want nothing more than to get rid of their other.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:18 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Without getting into specifics, take this small portion of advice:

Never, ever get in between two people that are fighting. When you do that, you become a target for both because neither will see you as their proponent but rather see you as an opponent and siding with the other person.

There is nothing in your job statement or requirement that says you must give up your personal safety or your life to prevent two people from hurting each other. The requirement to maintain control or lend assistance can be accomplished through a employing a variety of other methods that give you the best chance of going home instead of a ride in a hearse.

One trick is to call each person (student) by name if you know them. It removes any sense of anonymity they might feel and cause them to stop or pause long enough for some sense to take over.

I hear you but your life is worth more than those of people intent on harming each other. You can't do the greater good for so many who need good teacher if you aren't around to do it.

It isn't that their lives aren't worth as much as anyone else's it is just that when the balance sheet gets totaled, the value is with the greater number of kids you can help, not the two that want nothing more than to get rid of their other.

Excellent advice. Thank you for sharing.

I actually was able to break up one potentially very serious situation by just calmly and slowly repeating, "Barry, relax", "Barry, please stop and think", "Barry, it is OK" until the student was able to regain control, put down the scissors that he was using to threaten another student, and remove himself from the situation (leave the room to cool down).

Even though I was just a substitute teacher I had built a relationship with the student and that helped a lot.

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-18-2015 at 07:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching