Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:28 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,682,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
What's the worst parent-teacher conference you've had?

I'm sure others can beat mine. This happened last week...

A parent got mad at me for calling her son "monsieur" instead of by his name. She accused me of forgetting his name. I've had this student for 2 years. I explained to her that he is the only male student in my class, and calling him monsieur creates a more authentic environment for learning the language.
There is probably paperwork on her somewhere .
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's it?

You haven't lived until the School Resource Officer has to handcuff the mother.

Although the policy was that any parent conference has to be attended by either a Counselor or VP they always seemed to "miss" the ones with problem parents.
At the risk of sounding like I'm trying to one up you, we had bona fide police officers in my my school (thank goodness).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I had a parent threaten to cut the heart of my "stupid black a** ni**er body" and promise to burn crosses in my front yard. That he kept patting the bulky area in his back pocket that had something attached to chain didn't do a whole lot to make me feel better.

At another school we had a mother who clearly wasn't wearing a bra rub her breast area and lip her lips when she talked to our male social studies teacher, with four female teachers and a counselor in the room nonetheless.
Have you ever been called a racist? Every single black or hispanic administrator whom I have ever met has been called racist by a black or hispanic parent. Not to mention us crackers. (It's part and parcel for us.)

Once I had a parent come to the school and pull me aside to inform me of my roll in her daughter's expulsion. Her daughter had been part of a large group of girls who lured another girl to one of their homes and preceded to beat the living hell out of her. They pulled out her hair, broke furniture, and the girl urinated on herself. She made it back to the school and went to the counselor's office for help. When the story unfolded, the principal was livid and out for blood with those girls (she was retiring that year and didn't give a hoot what district admin thought).

Anyway, I was confronted by the mother of one of my students who was involved in the incident. The mother told me I was to blame for her daughter's involvement because I moved her daughter out of the regular math class and into an more advanced math class. She claimed the class was too difficult for her daughter and, therefore, her daughter fell into the wrong group. So, it was my fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 10:29 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,682,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Oh, I forgot about the time that, during an IEP meeting, a father tried to jump over the conference table and put his hands up in a motion that appeared like he wanted to choke me when I said that his child did not meet the legal criteria to attend Extended School Year. After that our male principal & male OT always sat between the female therapists and teacher (me) and that dad.
They didn't trespass him off the property?

Old 10-23-2015, 10:38 AM

45,526 posts, read 60,760,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
There is probably paperwork on her somewhere .

At the risk of sounding like I'm trying to one up you, we had bona fide police officers in my my school (thank goodness).

Have you ever been called a racist? Every single black or hispanic administrator whom I have ever met has been called racist by a black or hispanic parent. Not to mention us crackers. (It's part and parcel for us.)

Once I had a parent come to the school and pull me aside to inform me of my roll in her daughter's expulsion. Her daughter had been part of a large group of girls who lured another girl to one of their homes and preceded to beat the living hell out of her. They pulled out her hair, broke furniture, and the girl urinated on herself. She made it back to the school and went to the counselor's office for help. When the story unfolded, the principal was livid and out for blood with those girls (she was retiring that year and didn't give a hoot what district admin thought).

Anyway, I was confronted by the mother of one of my students who was involved in the incident. The mother told me I was to blame for her daughter's involvement because I moved her daughter out of the regular math class and into an more advanced math class. She claimed the class was too difficult for her daughter and, therefore, her daughter fell into the wrong group. So, it was my fault.
School Resource Officer is the name used for the department officers assigned to the school. Full time, sworn LEOs employed by the, in this case, County Police Department.

Then there were Security/Counselors, typically retired officers who maintained their police powers while on school grounds.

The lowest level was Security Assistants. They could have been any prior job but tended to be retired correctional officers.

How did a fight off school grounds devolve into an expulsion? The very most we could have done was to request a transfer of the lead actor. That wasn't done that often because then the system would have been on the hook for transportation to the new school.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:09 AM

19,879 posts, read 9,431,110 times
I just want to say that i am a parent, and I and a lot of other parents think that ALL of you teachers are worthy of a LOT more respect than what you are given!

(And no rep points, please! I just wanted to give all of you a very sincere THANK YOU.)

Old 10-23-2015, 01:01 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,203,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Oh, I forgot about the time that, during an IEP meeting, a father tried to jump over the conference table and put his hands up in a motion that appeared like he wanted to choke me when I said that his child did not meet the legal criteria to attend Extended School Year. After that our male principal & male OT always sat between the female therapists and teacher (me) and that dad.
Quote:
They didn't trespass him off the property?
Nope. After the initial shock the principal just told him to sit down and
"keep his hands to himself".

Old 10-23-2015, 01:09 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,200,022 times
Quote:
Not ever called racist but I have been accused a number of times of selling out.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:25 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,338,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I had a parent threaten to cut the heart out of my "stupid black a** ni**er body" and promise to burn crosses in my front yard. That he kept patting the bulky area in his back pocket that had something attached to chain didn't do a whole lot to make me feel better.

At another school we had a mother who clearly wasn't wearing a bra rub her breast area and lick her lips when she talked to our male social studies teacher, with four female teachers and a counselor in the room nonetheless.
Yikes! Some of these are crazy!

The only thing that comes to mind is something that occurred after a conference about 20 years ago. I had a conference with a parent who was new to the district. Looking back on it her child would probably be classified as ED today. She was telling me about how she was raising her son by herself and that she was happy her son had a male teacher. I said that I hoped I could serve as a positive role model. Later, my principal asked to see me. She asked me if I had told Ms. _____ that she needed a man. I guess that's what the mom had reported to the principal.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:33 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,338,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
School Resource Officer is the name used for the department officers assigned to the school. Full time, sworn LEOs employed by the, in this case, County Police Department.

Then there were Security/Counselors, typically retired officers who maintained their police powers while on school grounds.

The lowest level was Security Assistants. They could have been any prior job but tended to be retired correctional officers.

How many do you have? I think my child's high school has one, maybe two.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:07 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,730,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
How many do you have? I think my child's high school has one, maybe two.
My school has one full time police officer. We don't call him a resource officer or whatever other name places call him. He's just a city police officer.

I went to HS in a larger city and we did call them resource officers.

I'd really like to know what happened between when my parents went to school (when you could have your hunting gear in your truck for before or after school hunting) and today where you can't even bring a butter knife in the building without getting expelled. Surely people haven't changed that much in the last few decades, but policies sure have.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:16 PM

45,526 posts, read 60,760,162 times
To tgbwc:

The school I retired from had one full time PO detailed from the County PD (the program started out with Sheriff's Deputies but they got pulled after a couple years due to the back log of warrant services), two Security Counselors who are sworn and have full police powers on school grounds or at activities, and between 4 and 6 Security Assistants. The last couple years some of those slots became hiding places for the Principal to stash friends/coaches.

My school was one of the smaller ones so the staffing would be larger as population increased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching