Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 07:56 PM

280 posts, read 421,957 times

Advertisements

My 11 y.o. high functioning autistic daughter will be attending middle school next year. I have an IEP meeting to discuss the plan for next year. I am concerned about PE. Can she change clothes in the restroom? What about the lock for her locker, what if she has trouble with that? She's very bright but emotionally and socially immature. What help can I ask for in PE? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 08:13 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,001 times
Does she have deficits that justify those accommodations? Accommodations are based on her needs.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:38 PM

She has high anxiety. She uses the school nurse restroom because she's too nervous to use the regular restroom and she has OCD. These are just some examples.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:51 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
These are issues to bring up during the IEP meeting. I would request that the PE teacher or department head be at part of the meeting so you can speak about your concerns. She is probably not the first student that they've had to make accommodations for regarding locker combinations or keys so I'm sure they have a helpful solution for that. There are usually bathroom stalls in the locker room, perhaps your daughter would be okay with that amount of privacy?

Old 01-15-2016, 10:33 PM

thanks, yes I think she would need that privacy.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:48 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Go to the CSE meeting with as much documentation as possible to back up your request. Ask your daughter's therapist and classroom teachers for letters explaining the need for an accommodation.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:10 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,001 times
Usually the transition to middle school is the hardest for parents. Requesting that the PE teacher attend the meeting is a good idea. He or she can probably allay all your anxiety and help develop a good plan for your daughter.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:43 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post
My 11 y.o. high functioning autistic daughter will be attending middle school next year. I have an IEP meeting to discuss the plan for next year. I am concerned about PE. Can she change clothes in the restroom? What about the lock for her locker, what if she has trouble with that? She's very bright but emotionally and socially immature. What help can I ask for in PE? Thanks.
For the lock, buy a combination lock for her to practice on in the summer. That's what we did with our two. This is important even for NT kids.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:43 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
Just remember the PE teacher is going to be responsible for 25 - 30 other students as well as your child.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Just remember the PE teacher is going to be responsible for 25 - 30 other students as well as your child.
While that is true, appropriate accommodations planned in advance would make it easier for your child to be self sufficient, thus easier for the teacher and the other students.

Our local middle school has at least three ways to accommodate problems with locker combinations. When new shipments of locks come to the school someone takes a quick look through them and sets aside the very easiest combinations, such as 5 - 10 - 15 or 20 - 30 - 40 or something easy to remember. Those locks are saved for children with learning disabilities or other special needs. Some children (cognitively disabled) use similar looking locks but they use keys instead of combinations. Other children have lockers inside the classroom (rather than in the hallway) so they don't even need padlocks.

I am sure that most middle school do something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
For the lock, buy a combination lock for her to practice on in the summer. That's what we did with our two. This is important even for NT kids.
My district sometimes gives the actual padlock to the special ed. teacher in May so that the teacher & child can practice it before school ends.

And, allowing a student to change in the bathroom or behind a curtain or something similar would not cause extra work for the teacher. Most middle schools have some private areas, others have multiple stalls or private areas. At the minimum they all (to my knowledge) have the private bathroom and/or shower area that is designed to be used by the teacher connected to their office.

Of course, some accommodations can be very time consuming or labor intensive or take a lot of time away from the other students but it does not seem like the ones mentioned by the OP would be a problem.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-19-2016 at 02:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching