Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 06:21 PM

280 posts, read 422,774 times

Advertisements

In special Ed, teachers I work with allow the kids to use times table cheat sheets because so many of them have never learned them. Do you agree with this practice? Although it saves time when doing the work, I wonder if it hurts the kids in the long run by not being asked to learn the facts.

Last edited by Tristan_Davis; 05-14-2016 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 06:28 PM

45,556 posts, read 60,795,283 times
Special Ed? What does the IEP say?

Regular Ed kids get to use calculators, should the Special Ed kids have to memorize the tables?

Old 05-14-2016, 06:34 PM

I am not able to see the IEPs of the students I serve. I do not see calculators used in the classrooms I work in, maybe it varies by district. I don't know if they should memorize the tables or not, I'm just asking opinions of educators on this forum about the use of times table cheat sheets.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post
I am not able to see the IEPs of the students I serve. I do not see calculators used in the classrooms I work in, maybe it varies by district. I don't know if they should memorize the tables or not, I'm just asking opinions of educators on this forum about the use of times table cheat sheets.

Full stop. Why, if you are providing services, can you not see the IEP? Kinda defeats the purpose of having you there. How do you know how and what you're supposed to do?

Old 05-14-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Full stop. Why, if you are providing services, can you not see the IEP? Kinda defeats the purpose of having you there. How do you know how and what you're supposed to do?
Sorry, let me clarify, I am an aide working with the RSP or special Ed teacher. I teach small groups in math and reading. In my district, aides are not allowed to see IEPs of students.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:42 PM

684 posts, read 516,449 times
Quote:
In special Ed, teachers I work with allow the kids to use times table cheat sheets because so many of them have never learned them. Do you agree with this practice? Although it saves time when doing the work, I wonder if it hurts the kids in the long run by not being asked to learn the facts.

Some children are good with memory while others need visual learning (Meaning they need to see things for them to register)

I personally don't think its a bad thing for the students to have the cheat sheet and use them.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Sorry, let me clarify, I am an aide working with the RSP or special Ed teacher. I teach small groups in math and reading. In my district, aides are not allowed to see IEPs of students.

Is that district or teacher policy? Teachers will lie. I don't see how you can do your job without access to the IEP.

I have no issue with the cheat sheets by the way.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Is that district or teacher policy? Teachers will lie. I don't see how you can do your job without access to the IEP.

I have no issue with the cheat sheets by the way.
I do the best I can to be professional and caring with the kids I work with. Not sure if it's a district or teacher policy. I rotate among the special ed classrooms (both RSP and SDC) in my district and have done so for 2 years now. I always assumed it was district policy because I've never had access to student IEP's. We are not allowed to discipline the kids, either.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I do the best I can to be professional and caring with the kids I work with. Not sure if it's a district or teacher policy. I rotate among the special ed classrooms (both RSP and SDC) in an elementary school setting, have done so for 2 years now. I always assumed it was district policy because I've never had access to student IEP's.

Have you asked to see them?

Old 05-14-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Have you asked to see them?
1 time I did ask to see an IEP. I was written up for "being nosy." The administrator sided with the teacher and said I have no right to ask about any students. 3 write ups and you are terminated from the district. True story. I have learned to do what I'm told and keep my mouth shut, or I can always quit and find another line of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching