Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 04:42 PM

807 posts, read 1,032,468 times

Advertisements

We have a science and math supervisor that oversees the entire district. We don't see him much other then observations and periodic meetings.

For some reason the head of guidance does our schedules at the high school. I'm very unhappy with my schedule for next year due to again getting the lower level classes. I don't mind these kids and work very well with my in class support teacher. The reason I keep getting these classes is because I do a good job and can handle those kids. Great for everyone but me.

But I need a break and feel we should share those classes within our dept. I feel I'm being punished for doing a good job, while the last person to have those classes was a disaster. So for doing a terrible job, she gets rewarded with a better schedule.

It's like working in bizarre-o world! I discussed this with our head of guidance, but he wasn't interested in fairness and said this is how it needs to be. Frustrating, and not my fault they can't hire other competent teachers.

My next step is talking with our actual supervisor to get something done. Im sure he doesn't know what is going on. But I do know he cares about losing good teachers, which is what might happen.

Hate to step on toes, but it's BS and I want some fairness. What y'all think, and how does scheduling work at your school? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 04:53 PM

184 posts, read 143,828 times
Yeah, that's pretty much the way every school I've ever worked at has gone. And the principals don't care if they lose good teachers. There is always another, cheaper teacher to replaced them. You may have to look elsewhere if you want the upper level classes.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Yes. It's unfair.

But look at the the raise of the coin. The school needs to look out for the needs of the students first and foremost. The best thing for those kids is you rather than the "disaster". How can they in good conscience subject the kids to someone who can't teach them for something as minor as a schedule preference.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:40 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
The school I worked at in Chicago's Pilsen neighborhood had the teachers in each department make up the schedules. It worked well and we were as fair as we could be if people wanted to teach courses they liked. We spread the freshman algebra courses around so no one person got stuck with them unless they wanted to (we had one teacher who loved teaching those classes and scheduled himself for 5 of them every year).

Old 06-09-2016, 09:11 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Let me ask from a parent's perspective. What about the upper level kids? Are they getting the best service from the school? Or are they getting the mediocre teachers? Is this schedule really the best for the kids or the easiest for the person making out the schedule?

Old 06-10-2016, 06:11 PM

331 posts, read 369,425 times
I have a similar issue. We are short 1 room in the school, and I was stuck travelling this year. I was *supposed* to be getting a room as a result of some renovations going on, however they told me that they are giving it to a new teacher who will be hired in the Theology Dept. (Catholic school) because there is a Theology teacher leaving and they want to keep that dept. together. Even though the math dept is not together (which is what I teach). The reason was, because I did a really great job this year with travelling and they know I can handle it.

How is that fair at all???

Old 06-10-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Yes. It's unfair.

But look at the the raise of the coin. The school needs to look out for the needs of the students first and foremost. The best thing for those kids is you rather than the "disaster". How can they in good conscience subject the kids to someone who can't teach them for something as minor as a schedule preference.
I agree the student's best interest should be kept in mind. So get rid of teachers that suck! In NJ, if you are rated as ineffective two years in a row, they can get rid of you tenure or not.

So what ends up happening is good teachers leave,, and you're left with a school full of crappy teachers.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknowitall526 View Post
I have a similar issue. We are short 1 room in the school, and I was stuck travelling this year. I was *supposed* to be getting a room as a result of some renovations going on, however they told me that they are giving it to a new teacher who will be hired in the Theology Dept. (Catholic school) because there is a Theology teacher leaving and they want to keep that dept. together. Even though the math dept is not together (which is what I teach). The reason was, because I did a really great job this year with travelling and they know I can handle it.

How is that fair at all???
Exactly. You are punished for being competent. It's no wonder schools suck these days.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Let me ask from a parent's perspective. What about the upper level kids? Are they getting the best service from the school? Or are they getting the mediocre teachers? Is this schedule really the best for the kids or the easiest for the person making out the schedule?
That's why I question why the head of guidance does our schedule. All he cares about is making life easier for him and his guidance counselors. He knows which teachers get the most complaints and are always in trouble with kids and parents. So these teachers get the best kid that are well behaved and smart enough to figure things out for themselves.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:50 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
That's why I question why the head of guidance does our schedule. All he cares about is making life easier for him and his guidance counselors. He knows which teachers get the most complaints and are always in trouble with kids and parents. So these teachers get the best kid that are well behaved and smart enough to figure things out for themselves.
Which is what I feared. The best kids aren't getting the best teacher, so in truth the needs of the students aren't being served. Way too often schools ignore the needs of the smarter kids because they can "figure things out for themselves." Just think how much more they could do if we focused our efforts on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching