Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 03:06 PM

98 posts, read 57,956 times

Advertisements

Please excuse my screen name on here. I created this profile at a rather weird time in my life when I was making horrible decisions

I am Prekindergarten teacher that is all about getting young learners ready for Kindergarten. We practice early writing, math, reading, and phonics! We learn through play and do a lot of exploring. I am so proud of my young learners this year because they are extremely SMART!

Although I have this much excitement about Prek, I feel so undervalued as a Pre-Kindergarten teacher! I have a 4-year degree, a certification to teach VPK, and pursuing a MEd in Elementary Education that will lead to a certification in the state of Georgia. I am paid less, and others think that my job is a babysitting service. I now live in Georgia and want to try the public school system in the city where I live. I got the call to substitute and will be going to training tomorrow.
I can not take how we are being treated and represented in Early Childhood Education. Tons of research shows Early childhood is the most critical part of a child's life! Why are the teachers being treated like scums! We attend training we are not paid for, we have to gain CEUS, and most of us have degrees and certificates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 03:49 AM

1,704 posts, read 750,321 times
You are indeed a most valuable person in a much underrated profession. It just goes to show you our nation's true values.

Maybe you should have been an athlete, an entertainer, or perhaps even a Mega church pastor instead.

I wish you the very best and hopefully, a very successful future, as well!

Old 01-16-2018, 05:42 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneNightStandTerror View Post
Please excuse my screen name on here. I created this profile at a rather weird time in my life when I was making horrible decisions

I am Prekindergarten teacher that is all about getting young learners ready for Kindergarten. We practice early writing, math, reading, and phonics! We learn through play and do a lot of exploring. I am so proud of my young learners this year because they are extremely SMART!

Although I have this much excitement about Prek, I feel so undervalued as a Pre-Kindergarten teacher! I have a 4-year degree, a certification to teach VPK, and pursuing a MEd in Elementary Education that will lead to a certification in the state of Georgia. I am paid less, and others think that my job is a babysitting service. I now live in Georgia and want to try the public school system in the city where I live. I got the call to substitute and will be going to training tomorrow.
I can not take how we are being treated and represented in Early Childhood Education. Tons of research shows Early childhood is the most critical part of a child's life! Why are the teachers being treated like scums! We attend training we are not paid for, we have to gain CEUS, and most of us have degrees and certificates
There are states that have preschools embedded in the public school system whose teachers get the same pay as any other teacher. These preschools, however, are generally geared towards young children who either have special needs or whose life circumstance place them at risk for being unprepared for kindergarten. It is a far more challenging job than teaching in your ordinary preschool, especially when compared to ones that cater to homes with a stay-at-home parent.

If you would like to change your screen name contact one of the senior moderators (Yac or Marka) and ask. They are generally willing to do so, at least on a one time basis, especially in cases where the name is problematic. I suspect yours qualifies.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:07 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
I taught early childhood for a while when my primary teaching background and experience had been middle and high school (military move, and that was the on-base emploment option...military children fall into the developmental high risk category in a higher percentage of the time than civilian family kids, for a number of reasons, as well). I liked it, but, yes, the disrespect for the field was blatant.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:16 AM

809 posts, read 1,331,824 times
I believe you will find out that most teachers are not valued, people feel it is a very easy job that anyone can do not to mention that people think it is a very short day and teachers get paid for 12 months when they only work 9 months.

Story sounds familiar- did you have a previous screen name?

Old 01-16-2018, 07:21 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
I believe you will find out that most teachers are not valued, people feel it is a very easy job that anyone can do not to mention that people think it is a very short day and teachers get paid for 12 months when they only work 9 months.
They're not valued. I've taught at every pre-college level. But ECE is treated worse than most.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:01 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,714,264 times
Am I correct to assume your first degree is not in ECE or is it in B-2, I believe it is here in GA?

Old 01-17-2018, 08:14 AM

98 posts, read 57,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Am I correct to assume your first degree is not in ECE or is it in B-2, I believe it is here in GA?
My first degree is in Sociology and Anthropology. I worked briefly in social services when I decided to switch to education. I have been had a birth-prekindergarten certification in Florida. I received it my first year in college because I wanted to make money while in college.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:02 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,714,264 times
Quote:
My first degree is in Sociology and Anthropology. I worked briefly in social services when I decided to switch to education. I have been had a birth-prekindergarten certification in Florida. I received it my first year in college because I wanted to make money while in college.
Gotcha

Old 01-18-2018, 12:55 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
Quote:

I hate to tell you this, but it’s not much different for elementary teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching