Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 07:18 AM

186 posts, read 173,764 times

Advertisements

My kids will go to public through middle school (magnet) but we are considering a private high school even though I am a high school teacher. It is an amazing all girls private school and if she gets in with a scholarship she will go. We are not paying 25k a year.

Even if she goes to public high school it probably won’t be the one I teach at which is one of the best in the district. She wants her space .

One thing I won’t do as a public school teacher is a charter. On a side note, most of what we have is due to my husabnd’s income, not mine. His income allows me to do what I love which is teach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 07:29 AM

I don’t agree with those saying charters, vouchers, and private are the same. Vouchers and charters take money out of the system. That does not happen with private school. I understand the equality in opportunity argument but children going to private school do not have a negative impact on the finances of the district.

Also, some religious schools do not give free tuition to employee children. Our local Diocese gives a small discount per family.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:30 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
-Kids with special needs (gifted, disabilities, or both) that are better served by a private setting.
-Religious preference.
-Specialized focus.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:54 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andherewego View Post
My kids will go to public through middle school (magnet) but we are considering a private high school even though I am a high school teacher. It is an amazing all girls private school and if she gets in with a scholarship she will go. We are not paying 25k a year.

Even if she goes to public high school it probably won’t be the one I teach at which is one of the best in the district. She wants her space .

One thing I won’t do as a public school teacher is a charter. On a side note, most of what we have is due to my husabnd’s income, not mine. His income allows me to do what I love which is teach.
This was our situation also. If I had been a classroom teacher, in the area I just moved from, it would have qualified us for affordable housing vouchers since we currently have three minors living in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andherewego View Post
I don’t agree with those saying charters, vouchers, and private are the same. Vouchers and charters take money out of the system. That does not happen with private school. I understand the equality in opportunity argument but children going to private school do not have a negative impact on the finances of the district.

Also, some religious schools do not give free tuition to employee children. Our local Diocese gives a small discount per family.
I agree 100% with this - it does not impact the finances of the public schools. What it does do is impact the cultural environment of the school in ways society doesn’t like to discuss - from loss of bright, diligent student role models to loss of homeroom moms with healthy classroom snacks to loss of parents that care enough to impact policy, and everything in between. However, parents, at the end of the day, have to do what helps their child best. I am sorry, I was not about to put my black sons in any school with gangs, where academic achievement and acting appropriately in school would be treated by their peers as them selling out to the man. Yeah, they might have been able to rise above it but why should my children be put through emotional agony just to appease social justice warriors who refuse to be honest about what really ails our schools.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:22 AM

Oldhag... I feel weird typing that! My oldest went to a DODEA school when we lived overseas. If I had to do my Masters over again, I would further research military schools. They achieve even though these kids are dealing with a whole lot of challenges.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:29 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times
I've worked with colleagues who have sent their children to private schools and to charter schools. Not sure of the reasoning, but with most of them it was because the child was struggling socially in the public school system. All of them were from dual professional homes (teacher and spouse both with advanced degrees and demanding careers). Their reasoning (when questioned by another colleague) was that the smaller class size and more individualized instruction for their children. All of them were in top public school districts where the academic competition is fierce, in a state where school choice is not an option. The charter school was selective, the other schools were religious (and had better before and after school day care options), and the 3rd school is a private school affiliated with the college, so they could do dual enrollment courses.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:22 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,052,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Taxes to support public education are just that. For public education. They are not tuition to be withdrawn and applied elsewhere. Individuals are free to choose how they educate their children, which is a separate issue from vouchers. Just like we are also not free to take back other taxes that support those services we don't necessarily avail ourselves of - or those we may not support.
How about for universities? There are public universities and private universities, and students may qualify for financial aid/grants from the government (presumably paid for by taxes) where they can choose to go where they want. Some students may choose to go to a public university and some may not, but they have the option. just my two cents.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
How about for universities? There are public universities and private universities, and students may qualify for financial aid/grants from the government (presumably paid for by taxes) where they can choose to go where they want. Some students may choose to go to a public university and some may not, but they have the option. just my two cents.
Of course.

But if they go to a private university they don't get a rebate on whatever taxes they paid that support the State U in order to help pay for the private school.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:53 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,052,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Of course.

But if they go to a private university they don't get a rebate on whatever taxes they paid that support the State U in order to help pay for the private school.
got it..thanks.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:14 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
I don't know why we all need to criticize everyone else's choices.

I have worked in public education now for over 20 years. I have been criticized for homeschooling my kids for a while, but I had some reasons for doing so. I have been criticized for living in the nicer are and sending my kids to the best schools (public) while working in the lower income schools. I have been criticized by church friends for not sending my kids to the church school.

I will educate my kids the way I feel is good for them. Period. I make no apologies or excuses, nor do I need to justify anything to anyone. These are MY children and I will do what I feel is best for them. The end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching