Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 10:43 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,099,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I'm an American who currently teaches at an international school in Malaysia.

In a few years, there's a good chance I'll be moving back to the US and I've started the process of getting a teaching license in my native Massachusetts. Generally speaking, I'm open to teaching in MA, NH, RI, CT or Upstate NY.

Simply put, would it be worth it teach in a public school in those places (or other states)? I was just talking to a friend of my who had worked at a public school in a Boston exurb and she was telling me about the petty things that a teacher can be reprimanded for. Apparently, at least according to her, she said it was (she has since left the profession) to even discipline any students and local schools are at the mercy of parental complaints. She also complained that teachers always seem to be teaching towards tests, and that took away the joy of education for her.

Is what she is saying true? Would teaching students back in the States really be that unpleasant?

At our international school, we do follow a curriculum, but we also have some freedom. I can deal with unruly students in ways I see fit (and within reason, of course) and I do find considerable joy teaching from day to day.

Will I still have that joy if I come back home to teach?
Consider the reality that many school districts don’t contribute to social security, instead offering a pension plan, and that pension isn’t great without a significant time investment (30 years).

Consider social security is based off 35 years of weighted annual income, and as you’re currently not contributing to that, your social security is minimal.

So basically, when you’re 65, how will you fund retirement? Will you slug it out from now and for the next 30 years in a mediocre paying job, maximizing the pension formula, or will you only do it for another 10 years and find yourself behind in terms of a pension you had to pay into that isn’t going to give you much, as well as behind in terms of social security…

I know this is totally irrelevant to the idea of teaching in the context of the original question… but when you’re 65 will you be ok with the decisions you’re making now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 11:12 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athair View Post
Consider the reality that many school districts don’t contribute to social security, instead offering a pension plan, and that pension isn’t great without a significant time investment (30 years).

Consider social security is based off 35 years of weighted annual income, and as you’re currently not contributing to that, your social security is minimal.

So basically, when you’re 65, how will you fund retirement? Will you slug it out from now and for the next 30 years in a mediocre paying job, maximizing the pension formula, or will you only do it for another 10 years and find yourself behind in terms of a pension you had to pay into that isn’t going to give you much, as well as behind in terms of social security…

I know this is totally irrelevant to the idea of teaching in the context of the original question… but when you’re 65 will you be ok with the decisions you’re making now
But that's part of making a decision on where to land. Only 15 states don't pay into the social security system. They are Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, Ohio, Rhode Island and Texas.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:43 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
You guys are really bringing me down (or just giving me a dose of reality).

Now you've got me concerned about even sending my daughter to public school back in the States.
Sadly, they are giving you a dose of reality.

Old 08-20-2022, 09:38 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
The only place that I can think of that might welcome you would be the U.N. school in NYC. They value international experience. Charter schools are a revolving door. Most teachers don't last a full year and they mostly hire young teachers. Private schools would be a better fit and do not require certification. However, the salary will be much less with fewer benefits. Are you bilingual?

Sadly, what the other posters have written is all true regarding public schools. You may have to find a private school that is a niche school. Maybe work out a deal where your child attends tuition-free.

Old 08-21-2022, 11:26 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But that's part of making a decision on where to land. Only 15 states don't pay into the social security system. They are Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, Ohio, Rhode Island and Texas.
Lucky me had the “pleasure” of teaching in four of them over my career.

Old 08-27-2022, 10:48 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
LOL.

I had the opposite experience, although not really by plan. My 3 states were all part of SS.

Old 08-27-2022, 01:36 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I kept hoping that California would join SS because the money I've paid into SS and continue to pay into SS will likely net me little return due to the Windfall Elimination Provision.

Old 10-29-2022, 02:34 PM

230 posts, read 165,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
At least in Georgia it is by county; some pay into SS, some don't.

I'd say that teaching in the US is fine if you can pick where you are teaching. It's not all great but nor is it as bad as people say if you find the right school. From my experience that means suburban, higher SES school districts, magnet schools with a significant portion of selective entry (test in not simply lottery), and some exburb or rural schools in states blue, unionized, mostly NE states. The jobs are hard to get because, just like the good international teaching jobs, there aren't many openings. I've had a couple of friends who worked at private schools (non-religious) and they also found it to be a decent job but it mostly came with either living on campus (boarding school) or a long commute as the school was in a very well off area.

Even then the money isn't great and the bureaucracy can be bad but the majority of the students will at least partially buy into the idea of school. Retirement is a toss up. I'm doing ok with 20 years in US education (GA as you might have guessed!) plus other savings but I started saving very early with the goal of FI always in mind.

Old 10-31-2022, 08:35 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,426,106 times
If they are teaching to the tests, then we are in big trouble....the test scores are hideous.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:51 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,691,004 times
copied from another thread:

OP, have you ever done any equestrian events? Trained large powerful dogs? Been a drill instructor?

You will be expected to quell and keep under control a group of kids who are just itching for a chance to run you off and take over the classroom. You will be discouraged from sending troublemakers to the office for discipline. If you do it very many times, it'll show on your performance review. And they just turn them around and send them back to you, anyway.

If you fantasize about teaching in high school, are you large and powerful enough to keep from getting stuffed into a locker?

Have you ever worked in a large dysfunctional bureaucracy, and were you able to learn how to manage under the radar to get things done despite every aspect of the organization being set up to thwart you?

Are you comfortable doing reams and reams of paperwork using buggy software and out of date computer hardware and having to do everything three or four times in quadruplicate? Are you prepared to have to buy and bring your own copy machine toner and toilet paper, while every semester brings three dozen enormous boxes of "curriculum accessories" that you have to find space for, but will never use?

It's not a bunch of sweet little kids sitting quietly and raising their hands. You can expect every classroom to have one drooler, one screamer, one fighter at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching