Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 01:38 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'm sure there are some who make it through all the hoops. When I talked to school systems, the answers got fell into these general buckets:

a. We only hire people with education degrees. If you go back to school and complete a degree program, we'll be glad to talk to you.

b. We will hire people with alternate certification. Once you complete the program and obtain an alternate certification, then we'll be glad to talk to you. The catch here -- you could only enter the program if a school was willing to hire you as a provisional and sponsor you into the program. None of the schools I talked to were willing to do that. Catch-22.

c. We don't hire under the alternate certification program because as soon as people get their certification, they move to a better school.

d. We don't agree with the Troops to Teachers program for "reasons." I only heard this a couple of times in "unofficial" discussions but as a veteran, was surprised I heard it at all. It was early 90s so the whole "Thank you for your service" wasn't a thing in a lot of places at the time.
Translation: You weren't qualified.

And, this post explains so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 05:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
and we're back in Jr Hi (as usual).

Quote:
a. We only hire people with education degrees. If you go back to school and complete a degree program, we'll be glad to talk to you.

b. We will hire people with alternate certification. Once you complete the program and obtain an alternate certification, then we'll be glad to talk to you. The catch here -- you could only enter the program if a school was willing to hire you as a provisional and sponsor you into the program. None of the schools I talked to were willing to do that. Catch-22.

c. We don't hire under the alternate certification program because as soon as people get their certification, they move to a better school.

d. We don't agree with the Troops to Teachers program for "reasons." I only heard this a couple of times in "unofficial" discussions but as a veteran, was surprised I heard it at all. It was early 90s so the whole "Thank you for your service" wasn't a thing in a lot of places at the time.

There is little uniformity.

Administrators are trying to fill positions (by playing the cards in their hands)

Lots of variation comes because adminstrators are often so poor / lacking true managerial skills (Teachers can make very POOR administrators, tho it is possible to for really GOOD teachers to be really GOOD administrators (should they choose and pursue the correct guidance / training / mentoring / foresight. ) But... we need teachers! (and diligent and insightful) adminstrators

As indicated by OP's experiences and posts... Mixed bag. So find out where you want to head and meet their requirements (how ever petty they are). Get some TIME doing informational interviews with existing staff, especially someone who entered that system the way you intend to. Sometimes the hiring managers want NOTHING to do with those with experience, especially 'unique' experience (such as teaching overseas or in different cultures).

They want you under THEIR thumbs. right, or wrong, (they're always right )

Old 11-02-2023, 06:49 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Translation: You weren't qualified.

That does help the OP understand the management style they'll have to deal with trying to get certified in the US. You're basically confirming that having a degree in field and years of experience is less qualified than someone who took a general survey course and graduated last spring.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:33 PM

1,037 posts, read 679,853 times
Thank you all for your responses.

I'm somewhat pleasantly surprised that Massachusetts is one of the more flexible states. Basically, I've passed the exams, have degrees and that makes me eligible for a provisional license. I then have 5 years to start (or finish, I'm not sure) a graduate level education course.

There are some states (NY, looking at you) who want me enrolled from the time I start working there.

VT isn't so bad. They have a whole panel that will evaluate your qualification. It takes a year, but I might not need to get another degree, which is fine since I'm still paying off my last Master's.

I've considered taking a course over here in Malaysia, but there's no guarantee the US states will accept it and I'll just have to take another one when I get back.

In a perfect world, I'd just move back to Mass, but Eastern Mass and the Boston area has become so expensive, it's less likely we could afford to move there. My wife has to work, so we could consider W. Mass or the South Coast as they're cheaper and near to metro areas (Springfield/Hartford and Providence respectively), but we're leaving all options on the table.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:40 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Thank you all for your responses.

I'm somewhat pleasantly surprised that Massachusetts is one of the more flexible states. Basically, I've passed the exams, have degrees and that makes me eligible for a provisional license. I then have 5 years to start (or finish, I'm not sure) a graduate level education course.

There are some states (NY, looking at you) who want me enrolled from the time I start working there.

VT isn't so bad. They have a whole panel that will evaluate your qualification. It takes a year, but I might not need to get another degree, which is fine since I'm still paying off my last Master's.

I've considered taking a course over here in Malaysia, but there's no guarantee the US states will accept it and I'll just have to take another one when I get back.

In a perfect world, I'd just move back to Mass, but Eastern Mass and the Boston area has become so expensive, it's less likely we could afford to move there. My wife has to work, so we could consider W. Mass or the South Coast as they're cheaper and near to metro areas (Springfield/Hartford and Providence respectively), but we're leaving all options on the table.
Thanks for the additional info, OP. Please update your thread as things develop. I'm curious as to how this is going to turn out, but it looks like New England will be your future home, at least for awhile. It's nice that you have someplace where you feel accepted, and where you may fit in without too much ado.

Best wishes! Keep us posted.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:57 PM

1,037 posts, read 679,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks for the additional info, OP. Please update your thread as things develop. I'm curious as to how this is going to turn out, but it looks like New England will be your future home, at least for awhile. It's nice that you have someplace where you feel accepted, and where you may fit in without too much ado.

Best wishes! Keep us posted.
Thanks for your kind words.

Honestly, it may never happen and we may stay here for the rest of our lives. We've also looked into the Middle East, so who knows.

I may be on here in five years telling you all about my great job in Doha, Kathmandu or Tulsa

Old 11-02-2023, 08:00 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Thanks for your kind words.

Honestly, it may never happen and we may stay here for the rest of our lives. We've also looked into the Middle East, so who knows.

I may be on here in five years telling you all about my great job in Doha, Kathmandu or Tulsa
Well, just to interject a note of practicality; it wouldn't be a bad idea to start building an employment history in the US, so that you'll have a social security account when you need it!

Old 11-03-2023, 09:07 AM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
That does help the OP understand the management style they'll have to deal with trying to get certified in the US. You're basically confirming that having a degree in field and years of experience is less qualified than someone who took a general survey course and graduated last spring.
It's a compromised system that penalizes technical/subject matter competence.

Broken record time but I'll say it again we sent our kids to privates after giving publics are real shot. An incompetent and bitter 2nd grade teacher was the last straw driving us to privates. Best move we ever made.

Give me technical expertise over teaching degrees and all the rest every time.

Old 11-03-2023, 01:07 PM

Quote:
People/organizations who are going to hire you have a right to set expectations for job qualifications and job performance if you expect them to pay you. You're not an independent contractor. You're an employee. Just as I -- as teacher, or later as a principal -- was an employee of the Board Of Education. They -- along with state governments -- set the requirements. If you don't want to fulfill the requirements, go do something else. It is not up to the potential employee to set employment standards.

Old 11-03-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, just to interject a note of practicality; it wouldn't be a bad idea to start building an employment history in the US, so that you'll have a social security account when you need it!
Very true, Ruth. It was why I decided, ultimately, not to seek employment at an international school. I'm glad I made the decision.

One thing many educators don't know is that in some states teachers are not under social security.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/mapED/s...ity/index.html

Good site, although it takes time to load well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching