Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 08:26 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
People/organizations who are going to hire you have a right to set expectations for job qualifications and job performance if you expect them to pay you. You're not an independent contractor. You're an employee. Just as I -- as teacher, or later as a principal -- was an employee of the Board Of Education. They -- along with state governments -- set the requirements. If you don't want to fulfill the requirements, go do something else. It is not up to the potential employee to set employment standards.
Sorry, I missed this earlier or would have responded. I did meet, in fact greatly exceeded, the requirements as set forth in law by the state. The schools all claimed to support the program, but the reality on the ground was different. The issue was the personal beliefs of those doing the hiring against anyone who didn't have a classic education degree. I was told that straight up by the last principal I meet with to quit wasting my time because schools would rather let a position go vacant than actually hire under the program; that in spite of the law's intent, very few were actually being hired under the program across the state. At least he was honest about it and I appreciate that.

I observed that over the years as many schools, like the school I attended growing up, dropped any science programs that weren't state required because they couldn't get qualified teachers. Or, as the school my kids attended did, assign one of the football coaches who never had a physics course in his life to teach high school physics by showing films all year. So yep, sure, it's about qualifications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 08:33 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Sorry, I missed this earlier or would have responded. I did meet, in fact greatly exceeded, the requirements as set forth in law by the state. The schools all claimed to support the program, but the reality on the ground was different. The issue was the personal beliefs of those doing the hiring against anyone who didn't have a classic education degree. I was told that straight up by the last principal I meet with to quit wasting my time because schools would rather let a position go vacant than actually hire under the program; that in spite of the law's intent, very few were actually being hired under the program across the state. At least he was honest about it and I appreciate that.

I observed that over the years as many schools, like the school I attended growing up, dropped any science programs that weren't state required because they couldn't get qualified teachers. Or, as the school my kids attended did, assign one of the football coaches who never had a physics course in his life to teach high school physics by showing films all year. So yep, sure, it's about qualifications.
I experienced it as well...I wasn't a "real teacher".
Another was "Engineers are too overqualified to teach Math"
So I stuck to sub, long term sub and grant work.
I didn't need the benefits as I was retired from corporate with a pension.

Old 11-05-2023, 09:04 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Except in today’s world where there is a teacher shortage - employees and what they’re willing to do actually do influence the employment standards set forth. Generally yes, I agree that if you’re not willing to fulfill the minimum standards set forth, go find another line of work, but when nobody wants to be in that industry anymore, it’s time to switch things up. Personally I would almost rather do away with state standards on it and leave it up to districts and private schools. And I think private schools in my state largely do set their own rules as the certification laws only apply to public schools from what I can tell.
Yeah. And then what will happen to student achievement? And how will 'education' be blamed for that...and again for lowering the standards?

Old 11-05-2023, 10:57 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I think I'll take a few Praxis II exams in February and then take Praxis I next summer. I'm actually worried about Praxis 1 because they have a damn math component, something I didn't have to deal with on the MTELs.
Check out Kahn Academy online, for free math tutoring at any level. People swear by it. Unless you want to pay for test-prep tutoring. You might be able to find someone stateside who'll do that online for you. You can probably order a Praxis I test prep book through Amazon. It seems that you can get a test prep book for almost any standardized academic-type test.

Old 11-05-2023, 11:48 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I was going through the alternative ways of getting a license in NY and it seems I MAY be qualified for Transitional C Cert. My Masters is kind of close to what I want to teach, so we'll see if they accept.

If not, I could always apply for Transitional A Cert and take a few extra courses. It appears that I MAY be allowed to take those course while I'm already working, but I'm not sure. Who knows.

Either way, I have a number of years. I told my wife, I'll take new exams each year so if/when we go, we'll have options.

I think I'll take a few Praxis II exams in February and then take Praxis I next summer. I'm actually worried about Praxis 1 because they have a damn math component, something I didn't have to deal with on the MTELs.

Then, I guess I'll take NY licensure exams next year some time when I can get down to Singapore (I can actually take the Praxis here in Kuala Lumpur, but I'd have to travel to Singapore or Bangkok for NY tests).

Ultimately I'd love to live in upstate NY and raise my daughter there. I really do love it up there.
ETS (the Praxis testing company) has test prep materials.
Just pick the test you plan to take and go from there.

https://www.ets.org/praxis/site/epp/...test-prep.html

Old 11-05-2023, 06:37 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Just make sure that the state that you are targeting requires the Praxis. Not all states require it for state certification.

Old 11-06-2023, 10:22 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
All this complaining about licensing requirements for teachers.

Lawyers have to pass the bar exam in each state they wish to practice in.
Doctors have to pass state boards to practice in each state.
Engineers have to be licensed by the state in which they wish to practice.

Now, there may be reciprocity between some states for licensing for these, there is for teachers, but why is no one bitching about the others having to pass state requirements. Is it only teachers? Is it because "Anyone can be a teacher"?

Those "unnecessary" Education courses tend to separate the wheat from the chaff for teaching.

Old 11-06-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
All this complaining about licensing requirements for teachers.

Lawyers have to pass the bar exam in each state they wish to practice in.
Doctors have to pass state boards to practice in each state.
Engineers have to be licensed by the state in which they wish to practice.

Now, there may be reciprocity between some states for licensing for these, there is for teachers, but why is no one bitching about the others having to pass state requirements. Is it only teachers? Is it because "Anyone can be a teacher"?

Those "unnecessary" Education courses tend to separate the wheat from the chaff for teaching.
I agree completely.

Particularly that last sentence. Over the years of being a vice-principal and principal, there were occasions when we had to hire "alternative route" "second career" candidates. They rarely worked out. They may have been tremendously successful in their initial careers, but that was almost always when they were dealing solely with adults. Put them in a class of 12 and 13 year-olds...mediocre at best, disastrous at worst. There was one exception -- a career military man who went into teaching math...hired him because we couldn't find any "regular' math candidates. Superb with kids. Although dropped out of teaching math after just a few years to become a school librarian.

There are a lot of people who think that because they have parented one or two kids that they can work with 140. Not the same. Not at all.

Old 11-09-2023, 07:21 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,416,227 times
"No, Mr. Gates, you can't teach IT at our school. You don't have a B.ED. However, one of our administrators is a professor at the University of Phoenix, and for 550 USD per credit hour, you can be the first real person in her study group."

Old 11-09-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
"No, Mr. Gates, you can't teach IT at our school. You don't have a B.ED. However, one of our administrators is a professor at the University of Phoenix, and for 550 USD per credit hour, you can be the first real person in her study group."
You don't seem to think that employers can/should have standards for hiring.

Do you feel the same way when you hire someone to paint your house? Or replace electrical wiring? Or build an addition?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching