Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2024, 11:47 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times

Advertisements

I'm currently on the sub list for six districts. The pay ranges from $100/day to $125/day. One of the districts that pays $100 has a plan where you pay goes up according to how many days you work. I don't know the details because I don't like to go to that district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 11:49 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm currently on the sub list for six districts. The pay ranges from $100/day to $125/day. One of the districts that pays $100 has a plan where you pay goes up according to how many days you work. I don't know the details because I don't like to go to that district.
Are you contacted by the school or a substitute service? I know some districts went to that a few years ago.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Are you contacted by the school or a substitute service? I know some districts went to that a few years ago.
I no longer work for any of the outsourcing agencies. I think they are a ripoff.

There is no advantage to working for them and they don't make a payroll deduction for PSERS, the teacher pension plan. I got irritated when my local district went with a second company, and you had to reapply because because none of the documentation was forwarded by the first outsourcing company.

I've seen some of the schoolboard minutes where the outsourcing companies make a 25 to 30% profit on what they pay the sub. I also had an outsourcing company that outsourced their payroll. That meant I had to complete an I-9 remotely. It was a pain requiring a witness, etc.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:25 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Where are some of you living where subs only make $ 10/hr. or $ 75 per day?

In 2005 my son graduated college at the end of the first semester. Rather than pursuing full time teaching jobs at high schools in the area he worked as a sub in the Sioux Falls School District for that spring. This is in South Dakota where EVEN NOW the pay rate for teaching is always between 46th to 51st in the nation. He made $ 90 per day in that spring of 2006. Doing just a little math, that's 18 years ago. There was a position open to sub every day he wanted it. There wasn't even a teacher shortage at that time remotely like there is today.
I'm located in the northwest in a rural area. I think being rural is a big factor in the low pay anywhere in the country. I did some digging and found these pay rates for subs in my school district, as of 2022. Evidently they will take any warm body, no certification is required.

$90 per day with high school diploma;
$105 for Associates Degree or higher;
$120 for a teaching certificate;
$130 for district retirees

I don't know what a "day" is, but let's call it seven hours as posted upthread. Bottom tier pay is $12.85 per hour. For someone with a 4-year degree, around $15/hour. Meanwhile the local Taco Bell and grocery stores are constantly advertising jobs for $17/hour with no experience needed.

Old 03-01-2024, 02:22 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Substitute Teacher requires a minimum of 30 college credit hours, but there are some exceptions
Short-term assignment* $19.43/$136.01 per day
Long-term assignment** $26.12/$182.84 per day

Retired Teacher Substitute Teacher
Short-term assignment* $23.93/$167.51 per day
Long-term assignment** $30.06/$210.42 per day
Substitute Instructional Assistant $17.43/$122.01 per day

Subs for teachers earn an extra $80 on high volume days as long as the job is at least 3 hours. Subs for assistants receive an extra $55.

There are bonuses for days worked milestones.

* Less than 11 consecutive days
** 11 consecutive days or more

Old 03-01-2024, 03:01 PM

50,769 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Substitute Teacher requires a minimum of 30 college credit hours, but there are some exceptions

Subs for teachers earn an extra $80 on high volume days as long as the job is at least 3 hours. Subs for assistants receive an extra $55.

Let's just be clear...there are no uniform requirements for subs.

Old 03-01-2024, 03:36 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Let's just be clear...there are no uniform requirements for subs.
Some states require a degree.
Some states require an Education degree.
Some states require a high school diploma or equivalent and no recent felonies.

I think what non-teachers sometimes don't get is that subs rarely teach, even in states that require an Education degree, unless they are knowledgeable (usually meaning degreed) in that subject. Their job usually consists of taking role, limiting chaos and keeping the kids to at least work, or sort of work, on what the teacher has left.

I have a couple horror stories of subs trying to teach my class. One resulted in the sub not being called back. It was a Psych class, fairly small with only about 30 kids, who were considered some of the best kids in the school. Just regular kids for the most part, had a couple AP kids.

I had had them working on a longer multi-day assignment, I forget what now, but it involved some research and writing, and the sub came, a retired teacher, and decided to teach about WWII. Which would have been fine except the class was Psych. The kids outright refused and showed him what the assignment was. He called for an Admin and one came up (this was when had fairly good VPs). He explained what his problem was and then the kids explained and showed the VP the assignment. The kids did my assignment and the sub was sent to another class and another sub finished out the day in my classes.

Then there was the sub who decided to rearrange my files into alphabetical order from the I way had them, by unit.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:11 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post

Where is this at?

Old 03-01-2024, 09:29 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Where is this at?
Northern VA
Fairfax County Schools

Old 03-02-2024, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some states require a degree.
Some states require an Education degree.
Some states require a high school diploma or equivalent and no recent felonies.

I think what non-teachers sometimes don't get is that subs rarely teach, even in states that require an Education degree, unless they are knowledgeable (usually meaning degreed) in that subject. Their job usually consists of taking role, limiting chaos and keeping the kids to at least work, or sort of work, on what the teacher has left.

I have a couple horror stories of subs trying to teach my class. One resulted in the sub not being called back. It was a Psych class, fairly small with only about 30 kids, who were considered some of the best kids in the school. Just regular kids for the most part, had a couple AP kids.

I had had them working on a longer multi-day assignment, I forget what now, but it involved some research and writing, and the sub came, a retired teacher, and decided to teach about WWII. Which would have been fine except the class was Psych. The kids outright refused and showed him what the assignment was. He called for an Admin and one came up (this was when had fairly good VPs). He explained what his problem was and then the kids explained and showed the VP the assignment. The kids did my assignment and the sub was sent to another class and another sub finished out the day in my classes.

Then there was the sub who decided to rearrange my files into alphabetical order from the I way had them, by unit.
It depends mostly on the grade level and if you're certified in the subject. I subbed for elementary and I was always expected to teach exactly what the regular teacher would've taught that day. I remember the day I picked up an elementary job early in the morning, maybe 5AM or so. I went back to sleep and shortly after my phone rang. It was the teacher who wanted to go over math lessons for the day. Elementary lesson plans are usually very detailed down to what you should be covering every minute of the day.

Middle school is more similar to elementary than to HS. I don't think I have ever had a middle school class where I didn't have to go over an assignment or had to cover some material. I subbed for a middle school class this week where they were starting Lord of the Flies. I covered vocabulary for the book and they read the first chapter aloud before asking for volunteers to read.

High school is different. I try to sub mostly social studies and some teachers will have me cover the lesson they planned. This past week I taught AP US History using the teacher's PowerPoint slides. I did the same for a HS econ class. I've had some teachers ask me to cover a specific topic such as Watergate and 9/11. Sometimes I'll pick up a HS science class and I'm usually not able to teach the subject. The easiest classes are the AP math and science since the students are the most intelligent in the school and work quietly the entire period on whatever the teacher assigned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching