Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 04:25 PM

20,132 posts, read 16,220,030 times

Advertisements

I’ve now been employed or adjacently employed in public education for over 40 years now, and while I laughed, it was a very uneasy chuckle. Those who have not been in the classroom since Covid can not fathom how bad it’s gotten and this skit is way too close to reality.

The Last Day of School

Old 05-12-2024, 06:12 PM

78,717 posts, read 60,905,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I’ve now been employed or adjacently employed in public education for over 40 years now, and while I laughed, it was a very uneasy chuckle. Those who have not been in the classroom since Covid can not fathom how bad it’s gotten and this skit is way too close to reality.

The Last Day of School
About 15 years ago, I got a call from a school principal about an alteraction one of my kdis got into.

I was receptive and said that I would talk to my kid about it, discipline them about it and how to go forward and not do that.

There was a audible pause, basically I stunned the principal who was obviously used to parents defending their kids no matter what.

Fast forward 15 years, I have an engineer living a productive life and the bully...well I hope she figured things out, but hey, when you are never wrong or disciplined....I hope that something else changed that trajectory.

P.S. Weird how with good parenting that all my kids and neices\nephews "despite public schools" have 5 STEM grads in top fields all thriving. Crazy huh? It's almost like it's more the parents than the teachers isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2024, 07:01 PM

17,665 posts, read 17,822,415 times
1. Bad parenting
2. Regulations making it harder to punish and remove bad students from school
3. Educators who are actually activist
4. Teacher’s Union pushing activism at the expense of good educators

Old 05-12-2024, 08:35 PM

12,892 posts, read 9,142,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
1. Bad parenting
2. Regulations making it harder to punish and remove bad students from school
3. Educators who are actually activist
4. Teacher’s Union pushing activism at the expense of good educators
While bad parenting is out there, what I see more of is people such as teachers, principals, and others in similar work, tend to have a big old soft spot toward those who don't follow the rules, giving 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and so on chances. That just leads to more and more degradation as everyone sees the rules don't actually apply. Eventually, even the kids who want to do the work, give up and follow along. After all, why put in all that effort when Johnny over there gets away with it?

Take that "soft spot for the troublemakers" and combine it with number 3 and 4 on your list, and you get #2. Then you have parents up against all that trying to do the right thing and we blame bad parenting. Sure, there's some bad parenting. That accounts for less than 20% of the problem, it's the "feel good, don't hold them accountable, soft hearted, activist" mindset that accounts for the other 80%.

Old 05-13-2024, 06:14 PM

6,391 posts, read 4,861,019 times
Quote:

The Last Day of School
This is my 42nd year in a classroom and I agree. I laughed, but the skit had a lot of truth in it.
I'm pretty sure this will be my last year as well.

Old 05-13-2024, 06:32 PM

45,571 posts, read 60,866,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
While bad parenting is out there, what I see more of is people such as teachers, principals, and others in similar work, tend to have a big old soft spot toward those who don't follow the rules, giving 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and so on chances. That just leads to more and more degradation as everyone sees the rules don't actually apply. Eventually, even the kids who want to do the work, give up and follow along. After all, why put in all that effort when Johnny over there gets away with it?

Take that "soft spot for the troublemakers" and combine it with number 3 and 4 on your list, and you get #2. Then you have parents up against all that trying to do the right thing and we blame bad parenting. Sure, there's some bad parenting. That accounts for less than 20% of the problem, it's the "feel good, don't hold them accountable, soft hearted, activist" mindset that accounts for the other 80%.
There you go blaming teachers, again, for decisions made way above their pay grade.

I can guarantee that teachers, in Maryland, didn't downgrade an assault on a staff member from an expulsion event to a ten day suspension with a requirement that the assaulted staff member and the perpetrator go through a Peer Mediation/Restorative Justice session so the suspension could be cut to five days.

I can guarantee no teacher enacted the requirement that a parent be contacted three times for insubordinate/persistent class disruptions (contact to be documented) before referring the offender to am Administrator.

I can guarantee no teacher started to require five parent contacts, again with documentation, before referring to an Administrator for cutting class.

Those decisions were all made by the Maryland State School Board following one or another "Dear Colleague" letter from the Department of Justice.

Old 05-13-2024, 06:57 PM

6,391 posts, read 4,861,019 times
During an angry and frustrating staff meeting about the lack of discipline, a former principal agreed that after a parent had been contacted 3 times along with 3 referrals to Admin, he would suspend students.
When that began happening, He refused to do it. He was just trying to kick the can down the road and didn't think we would follow up.
Spineless!

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

20,132 posts, read 16,220,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
During an angry and frustrating staff meeting about the lack of discipline, a former principal agreed that after a parent had been contacted 3 times along with 3 referrals to Admin, he would suspend students.
When that began happening, He refused to do it. He was just trying to kick the can down the road and didn't think we would follow up.
Spineless!
Don’t get me started on the failure to use ISS or that “school to prison pipeline” crapola. These people who keep crying that suspending kids or putting them in ISS doesn’t help that child miss the very real and legitimate purpose of doing either - to get the disruptive kid out of the room so the other 20-30 kids in the class have a chance to learn. No one wants to talk about the research on that, a positive outcome that is so obvious even the other kids notice it occurs.

Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM

43,423 posts, read 18,508,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

The discipline policies come from way up high...Dept of Education and Dept of Justice.
Teachers get in trouble if they don't follow them.

Don't blame the teachers..their hands are tied.

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,968,044 times
Quote:

The Last Day of School
I saw this skit a few days ago and sent it to my teacher son. He passed it on to his teacher buddies with the comment that this is so close to reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching