Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2016, 05:55 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,447,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD
For the record, I know of zero teachers who consistently put in over 50 hours a week (I know dozens of teachers socially). Yes some weeks they might hit that mark (start of the year and reports cards come to mind) but overwhelmingly they average 40 - 45 hours. When I go to my kids schools at 4pm it is a a ghost town.
So you are following your teacher friends home and timing how many hours they put in for grading, lesson planning, answering emails from parents, reading up on new technology, techniques, literature, etc? All the lesson planning that is being finished in the weeks before the school year begins in August/September? All of that counts as work, and none of it is "on the clock."

Do you live in a high needs district? In a large metro area? Do you walk through the entire schoolafter 4pm, looking in each individual classroom, the library, the gym, the counselor's office, and make sure that no one is there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 06:35 PM

50,942 posts, read 24,441,927 times
Just for the record, for some of you who say you visit the school at 4 p.m. and it's pretty well empty of teachers -- schools where I taught over my career started at various times, often as early as 7:20. Meaning teachers started about 7 a.m. to be ready at 7:20.

The time schools start is often due to bus schedules.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:36 PM

50,942 posts, read 24,441,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
lets say they start at 30k but they only work 180 days thats half the year so really teachers start off making 60k. Experienced teachers make 50k thats six figures. Am I missing something?
Yeah. I guess you are talking imaginary play money.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:13 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,733,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
At some point this boils down to a supply vs demand issue. If teachers, want to be paid more then they need to constrict supply and to demand more in wages and compensation.

For the record, I know of zero teachers who consistently put in over 50 hours a week (I know dozens of teachers socially). Yes some weeks they might hit that mark (start of the year and reports cards come to mind) but overwhelmingly they average 40 - 45 hours. When I go to my kids schools at 4pm it is a a ghost town.

What I don't understand are teachers complaining about the compensation. No one put a gun to a teachers head and forced them into the classroom for 30 years. Everyone of them understood what they were getting into.

One last perk.... My wife (teacher) is off for 2 weeks like most teachers while I am 3000 miles away from home travelling for work. Not fun.

You might live in a more laid-back area. My experience where it is very fast-paced was more like working in a business environment. There were emails from administrators all hours of the night and on weekends. Teachers and administrators were still at school until 9-10 PM several days a week working on things in the classroom that could not be done at home. There were also required meetings for all staff lasting until 7 PM sometimes-this is staff meetings, not meeting with parents. Outside of school, besides all the planning, etc. we had to shop at least once per week for the food supplies needed in the cooking curriculum, as well as buying craft supplies and making all the posters, charts, graphs, storyboards, signs, that were hung inside the room.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:46 AM

45,514 posts, read 60,734,312 times
Hey kids, I just noticed this thread was started 8 1/2 years ago, July 2008.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:57 AM

35,121 posts, read 31,396,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I know very few teachers who don't work a second job, and I know for a fact that I will need one.

Why so many teachers need a second job:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9a266c376eff
Really?

I live in a town of 50,000 in east Tennessee, not exactly what you'd think of as a hot bed for teacher pay. The minimum that any teacher can make, even someone wet behind the ears out of school, is $41,000, in my city. Keep in mind that our cost of living here is much lower than the national average, taxes are negligible compared to the big, rich states, and that a decent home can be had for at or around $100,000.

The counties generally pay lower, but they're still above (low to mid $30k range depending on system) what most new graduates would make in the private sector here, as most of the private sector jobs are skewed toward retail, call centers, food service, and other low wage junk jobs.

After a few years and a master's, that city teacher will be up to $50k or so.

There seems to be no slowdown in teacher hiring here. Local universities turn out a lot of new education grads. Most seem to get jobs around here if they want them. The same can't be said for people who graduate with "hard" degrees that would generally be recommended - they often have to move to find work.

The teachers I know aren't getting rich, but I don't any except one single guy my age who works a second job. He teaches a couple classes at a community college in the summer to just keep busy.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Hey kids, I just noticed this thread was started 8 1/2 years ago, July 2008.
This appears to be an ongoing issue.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:49 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
This appears to be an ongoing issue.
How funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching