Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 05:15 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,930 times

Advertisements

If you were to create a survey about your class, for parents to give feedback on (whether written, or circling numbers from 1-5...), what would you want feedback about, as a teacher?

This is a first grade class. It was meant to be a gifted-blended class (high achievers and gifted), but then due to class size, some regular level children are in it as well.

Any questions for me to pose, to know parents feel about all aspects of the class, please post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 05:30 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,343,362 times
I am not sure if I'm on the right track with this, but I would want to know what time the student went to bed on a school night. As a high school teacher, this is still a problem and I believe it starts at a young age. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to run to Lowes or Home Depot at 9 p.m. and I see young children shopping with their families. These are children who should have already been in bed for at least an hour.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:33 AM

This survey isn't so much for me to glean information from the parents about their child, but information from the parents on how they think their child is learning, or how I am, fairness of assignments.....volunteer opportunities...things like that

Old 10-12-2008, 06:11 AM

603 posts, read 2,339,543 times
I'm not sure I'm on the right track either (only had one sip of coffee), but here goes...
--does the work seem to be on your child's level (or is it too easy or too difficult)
--how do you feel about the amount of homework that goes home?

Surveys are great to get information, but if you aren't prepared to take their advice and make changes based on what they suggest, parents may be angry that you asked for their opinions at all.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:18 AM

Charz- yes, you were on the right track! I am prepared to take the majority's opinions, and will give parents a brief summary of all answers...but I also will need to let them know after-wards of things that either will have to wait until the following year to be changed, or things that cannot be changed due to being district mandated.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:02 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,258 times
I don't think I'd give a survey to the parents. It opens the door to unfounded criticism and increases the possibility of idiots telling you how to do your job (I don't think all parents are stupid, but why open pandora's box?) What input are you trying to gain? Is there another way you can get this information?

In answer to your question, if I had to give a survey, I'd ask:
How long is it taking your child to do homework?
Is your child enjoying the subject matter?
Are you helping your child with the homework (because it's too hard)?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:05 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,124,205 times
I so hate homework...but so many want it and insist on it!

I agree with not giving a survey. Parents are more than happy to offer their 2cents.
Questions I would want to know from my child's teacher (in your situation) are:
How are you challenging my child--what are you having my child do when he is done with his work? What extension activities are you providing? How much testing/documentation does the district mandate you have before confirming that my child has mastered a skill and can move foward?

Old 10-13-2008, 09:01 PM

74 posts, read 285,970 times
I mail out a letter with a detailed evaluation to fill out after the first semester and again at the end of the school year. The school I work for has no problem paying for the postage.
I also give an area for questions, comments, and concerns along with my school email, phone extension and office hours.
I like high levels of communication with parents. A HUGE % of parents never respond, nor show up for parent teacher conference but I sleep well knowing I tried.
Also, I call a couple different students parent each week just to touch base. Over the course of a school year I have at least one contact with every one of my students parents. I have been doing this for the past few years.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:04 PM

74 posts, read 285,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I am not sure if I'm on the right track with this, but I would want to know what time the student went to bed on a school night. As a high school teacher, this is still a problem and I believe it starts at a young age. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to run to Lowes or Home Depot at 9 p.m. and I see young children shopping with their families. These are children who should have already been in bed for at least an hour.
Only 9 p.m.? haha...most high school students are up way beyond that time. Be thankful you saw them at lowes at 9 and not somewhere else at 2 a.m., then I would be concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching