Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 11:13 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,501,127 times

Advertisements

I want to persue a career as a high school teacher.

My background: Bachelors of Science in Management & MBA

Currently, I live in South Carolina, but I want my career to be in New Jersey

Is there anyone out there that has lived in one state, but wanted to get certified in another? What is the best way to do this because I know that certification varies depending on the state.

I am thinking that I should get certified in SC and teach here for 1-2 yrs and then try to get a job in NJ as a teacher.

If anyone out there can help me then it would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 02-24-2009 at 11:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 04:21 AM

603 posts, read 2,343,429 times
To get certified, you have to take the Praxis. Different states may require different subtests in order to be certified. If you take the required tests for SC, you may have to take different tests for NJ. Go to the state education websites for NJ and SC (or perhaps the Praxis website) to see which tests are required. Praxis can cost several hundred dollars, so you want to take the right tests.

If the 2 states have the same requirements, I would work in SC to get experience and then move. However, if they have different requirements, I would complete the requirements for NJ, apply for my teaching certificate, and look for NJ jobs. Since districts list teaching jobs online, it is easier than ever to look for a job in one state while living in another.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:07 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,610,253 times
Have you seen this? New Jersey Teacher Certification

New Jersey is a hard state to get into for teaching, especially compared to South Carolina, because the pay is so much better in NJ. What would you teach?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:35 AM

681 posts, read 2,881,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post

Is there anyone out there that has lived in one state, but wanted to get certified in another? What is the best way to do this because I know that certification varies depending on the state.

I am thinking that I should get certified in SC and teach here for 1-2 yrs and then try to get a job in NJ as a teacher.

The steps to becoming a public high school teacher:

1) Think that it'd be a great job to have... older kids, good pay, lots of breaks, summers off.... ahhhhh!

2) Check around to see what other people think about teaching in a public high school.

3) Read their opinions.

4) RUN SCREAMING, AS FAST AS YOU CAN, TOWARD A DIFFERENT PROFESSION!!!!!!! (Or at least a different place to teach. Private schools are said to be much better, although the pay is stinky.)

Old 02-25-2009, 11:48 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,501,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Have you seen this? New Jersey Teacher Certification

New Jersey is a hard state to get into for teaching, especially compared to South Carolina, because the pay is so much better in NJ. What would you teach?
I would like to teach any type of management or marketing and I know that some high schools have sports marketing/management.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:56 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,022,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
The steps to becoming a public high school teacher:

1) Think that it'd be a great job to have... older kids, good pay, lots of breaks, summers off.... ahhhhh!

2) Check around to see what other people think about teaching in a public high school.

3) Read their opinions.

4) RUN SCREAMING, AS FAST AS YOU CAN, TOWARD A DIFFERENT PROFESSION!!!!!!! (Or at least a different place to teach. Private schools are said to be much better, although the pay is stinky.)

I have several friends that are HS teachers and they all love it.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:42 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,849,400 times
Check out American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence | Promoting teacher quality - Impacting student learning. It's an alternate certification course for those with a college degree, and you don't have to go back and take classes--you study on your own and take 2 tests--one in your subject and one on teaching methods. The cost is $850 for the 2 tests, support from a counselor, and some online review stuff plus a list of other materials that you obtain on your own--for the language arts, I used the library a lot, but for the teaching methods I went to junk stores and found old textbooks, or I went on ebay to get the specific ones they recommended. None of these materials were expensive. The only problem is that ABCTE may be rather limited for what you want to teach, but you could choose a subject that's close, like math, and then try to get hired at a school to teach business. It's worth a try. They list people on their site that you can call and discuss your concerns with before you sign up.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,515 times
According to ABCTE documentation the majority of their teacher candidates, all of whom are college graduates, fail to complete the certification process. The program includes a criminal background check, but if you fail a test, they don't do the check, and they don't refund any portion of the $850.00 fee. So in effect, they make a bigger profit by failing teacher candidates than by certifying them. I know because I went through their program to become a chemistry teacher and passed the chemistry exam and the objective portion of the professional knowledge test, but failed the writing sample test. TWICE!!! I already have a year's experience teaching physics and physical science at Bishop England High School so I can say with confidence that the ABCTE writing test is simply not a valid test. In my opinion ABCTE is a fraudulent organization that holds out the hope of a quick route to state certification, but betrays that hope to the majority of the college graduates who spend $850.00 toward the dream of becoming a teacher..

Old 03-30-2009, 06:05 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,168,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post

I thought that i was reading a post about myself here!

I also have a bachelor's in management/marketing. I have been working in marketing for 12 years, and have looked into pursuing a secondary education degree! I'm in Western Ma, though. Ideally I would love to teach in Connecticut, but I know that a master's degree would be required for that.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:47 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,402,373 times
While each state has it's own requirements for obtaining certification, many universities offer alternate certification programs (a colleague of mine was in the program at Northwestern University), so you will be in the classroom while obtaining your masters degree. It might be worth pursuing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching