Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:43 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,529,837 times

Advertisements

My hubby's guidance counselor told him he wasn't college materal. Not sure why but my hubby came from a lower class family. I can't say it was elitist but you never know. Anyway he went to college and on to get his master's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 02:51 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,977,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Everything you said sounds good. I guess the hope is that all professors will be as open as yours. The fear is that some will be so extreme, they can't listen to logic.
I think this goes both ways. Both the professor and the student should be able to listen to logic and decide for themselves.

Often times what Ive seen is that students usually think they know something but after researching the facts, their eyes are usually opened to what is actually right and not just something that was forced upon them by non educated people.

Am I the only one who finds it quite odd that a parent would prepare/warn their child about a Professor's teaching in a university? IMHO, I think that having an open mind while attending institutions of higher learning is the right thing to say to a child/student. Saying "stick to your guns" which is basically saying "ignore what your professor says about .........". I just think its wrong. Let the child/student decide for his/herself what is right but only have hearing both sides of whatever topic it is you are referring to. THAT is the right way to do it.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:38 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,531,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post

Am I the only one who finds it quite odd that a parent would prepare/warn their child about a Professor's teaching in a university? IMHO, I think that having an open mind while attending institutions of higher learning is the right thing to say to a child/student. Saying "stick to your guns" which is basically saying "ignore what your professor says about .........". I just think its wrong. Let the child/student decide for his/herself what is right but only have hearing both sides of whatever topic it is you are referring to. THAT is the right way to do it.
This another reason why the intention of the OP smells fishy to me.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:17 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,552,507 times
Quote:
I think this goes both ways. Both the professor and the student should be able to listen to logic and decide for themselves.

Often times what Ive seen is that students usually think they know something but after researching the facts, their eyes are usually opened to what is actually right and not just something that was forced upon them by non educated people.

No, it's not odd especially when one can find examples of college professors using their bully pulpit position to grade students' assignments based upon their personal social or political views or to give assignment based upon those same views. There've even been cases in the past of some professors singling out for class ridicule those who serve in the military or hold conservative views. There've been school teachers and college professors who've given their students extra credit if they join in an anti-war rally.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:33 PM

Here's an example of the professor's anti-military email to a cadet student
snopes.com: Cadet of Gratitude

The first is the letter the student sent several professors.
Dear Sir or Ma'am,

"The Air Force Academy is going to be having our annual Academy Assembly. This is a forum for mainly but not only Political Science majors, discussing very important issues dealing with politics. Right now we are in the planning stage for advertising and we would appreciate your help....What would be the best way for us to advertise at your school whether it is sending you the fliers and you making copies or by perhaps putting an advertisement in your local publication? We would appreciate your input and the cost of what your recommend.

"Thank you for your time and consideration.
Very Respectfully, Cadet Robert Kurpiel

Below is this professor's response to the above email

Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 1:46 PM
Subject: Re: Academy Assembly
"You are a disgrace to this country and I am furious you would even think I would support you and your aggressive baby killing tactics of collateral damage. Help you recruit. Who, top guns to reign death and destruction upon nonwhite peoples throughout the world? Are you serious sir? Resign your commission and serve your country with honour....
"You are imperialists who are turning the whole damn world against us. September 11 can be blamed in part for what you and your cohorts have done to Palestinians, the VC, the Serbs, a retreating army at Basra. You are unworthy of my support.'
"Peter N. Kirstein
Professor of History
Saint Xavier University

Still makes my blood boil even after these years have passed.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:45 PM

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNews.cgi?command=viewone&id=49&database=DefenseW atch%202005%20A.db (broken link)
Or how about this professor

Dear Rebecca:
I am asking my students to boycott your event. I am also going to ask others to boycott it. Your literature and signs in the entrance lobby look like fascist propaganda and is extremely offensive. Your main poster "Communism killed 100,000,000" is not only untrue, but ignores the fact that CAPITALISM has killed many more and the evidence for that can be seen in the daily news papers. The U.S. government can fly to dominate the people of Iraq in 12 hours, yet it took them five days to assist the people devastated by hurricane Katrina. Racism and profits were key to their priorities. Exxon, by the way, made $9 Billion in profits this last quarter--their highest profit margin ever. Thanks to the students of WCCC and other poor and working class people who are recruited to fight and die for EXXON and other corporations who earning megaprofits from their imperialist plunders. If you want to count the number of deaths based on political systems, you can begin with the more than a million children who have died in Iraq from U.S.-imposed sanctions and war. Or the million African American people who died from lack of access to healthcare in the US over the last 10 years.
I will continue to expose your right-wing, anti-people politics until groups like your won't dare show their face on a college campus. Real freedom will come when soldiers in Iraq turn their guns on their superiors and fight for just causes and for people's needs--such freedom fighters can be counted throughout American history and they certainly will be counted again.
Prof. John Daly

Old 03-30-2009, 07:42 PM

These aren't college professors but they probably learned such behavior from them.
Teachers Harassing Soldiers' Children - Winds of Change.NET
Alan Grover, WABI-TV: "What the kids are facing is hearing that [from Principals, Teachers and/or Guidance Counsellors] their mother or father is a bad person for taking part in the confrontation with Iraq; comments that are coming from teachers. That's according to officers with the Guard?s Family Assistance Program who've been traveling throughout the state this week. The officers report that such incidents are relatively few in number but that they've occurred in practically every region of the state."
Major Andrew Gibson: "Some kids have even reported that... ah... teachers have said things to them, specifically, about the ah unethical nature of their parent going off to fight."

Old 03-30-2009, 08:34 PM

Oh and this one's really good. School's stage was set for a stark lesson

Three invited pro-military speakers were shocked last Friday when they arrived for a West Seattle High student assembly to confront a theater stage strewn with figures costumed as Iraqi men, women and children splashed with blood.
Sound Politics: Vet strikes back
Why, then, am I writing to you? Upon entering the theater at 12:30 PM, approximately 15 minutes prior to the event, I was taken aback by what I witnessed. As I stood there in my Marine Corps Dress Blue uniform, there before me stood numerous kids running around in sloppily dressed and ill-fitted helmets and military fatigues with utter disrespect for the symbols and uniforms of the U.S. military. The walls were covered in camouflaged netting and the stage was covered with approximately twenty white, life-sized cut-out patterns in the shape of dead women and children, all of which were splattered in red-paint to depict human blood. Onstage, children were kneeling and weeping while dressed in ill-fitted Arabic headdress with white-faced masks similarly covered in red paint to depict human blood. At a podium, children were reading a monologue of how U.S. troops were killing civilians and shooting at women and children. Moreover, several grown adults were standing on stage in bright orange jump-suits, with black bags on and off their heads, some bound and tied, and some banging symbols and gongs in a crude depiction of what I believe were their efforts to depict victims of the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse episode.
Within the auditorium, numerous adults appeared to have been supervising this behavior and children were literally running amok. What is going on in your classrooms and auditoriums? Who supervised this program? Who are these grown adults dressed as prisoners and performing such the attics on the stage of our public schools? Since when has it become Seattle School Board policy to take an official anti-troops position and declare returning combat veterans from Iraq such as myself as killers of innocent women and children as if this war were some sick sport. As an Iraq war veteran I am outraged by what I witnessed going on at West Seattle High School!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:17 PM

706 posts, read 3,765,268 times
Quote:
Am I the only one who finds it quite odd that a parent would prepare/warn their child about a Professor's teaching in a university? IMHO, I think that having an open mind while attending institutions of higher learning is the right thing to say to a child/student. way to do it.

You're not the only one, I've said it in two or three posts as it applies to mother AND the subect of post.

It was not well-received.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:08 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,977,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
No, it's not odd especially when one can find examples of college professors using their bully pulpit position to grade students' assignments based upon their personal social or political views or to give assignment based upon those same views. There've even been cases in the past of some professors singling out for class ridicule those who serve in the military or hold conservative views. There've been school teachers and college professors who've given their students extra credit if they join in an anti-war rally.
You do know that there are lots of professors who actually served in the military dont you?

Still, I think its harmful for a parent to let THEIR feelings/emotions/stances on whatever issue it is stand in the way of their child's education. "Stick to your guns" is not something that should be said to a child upon entering an institution of learning. An open mind is of the utmost importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching