Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:32 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,550,024 times

Advertisements

but not all. Besides, having served in the military doesn't always mean you don't hate the military. Ward Churchill and the mayor of Berkeley are some examples that come to mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:33 AM

or did you bother to see the examples I listed above

Old 04-01-2009, 10:00 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,530,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
but not all. Besides, having served in the military doesn't always mean you don't hate the military. Ward Churchill and the mayor of Berkeley are some examples that come to mind
Interesting point.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:28 PM

another example

NAS - The National Association of Scholars :: Initiatives Update on Bill Felkner: Rhode Island College Bias-Revelers Evacuate 05/16/2008 Ashley Thorne
[SIZE=4]B[/SIZE]ill Felkner was a graduate social work student at Rhode Island College who never received his diploma – not for flunking out or committing any criminal or inappropriate act, but for holding views contrary to those of RIC’s School of Social Work. NAS has written about Felkner in the report The Scandal of Social Work Education, as well as in an article detailing his story: “The ‘I Revel-in-my-Biases’ School of Social Work – And What It Does to a Student Who Declines to Join the Revelry.”
Since Felkner went public with the issues he dealt with at the College, most of the key faculty and staff members involved in his plight have resigned from their positions at RIC. First, Jim Ryczek quit after the 2004/2005 school year. He was Felkner’s first policy professor, who gave Felkner an “F” on a paper because he had written from a perspective other than that of the School of Social Work. Ryczek told Felkner that social work is a “value-based profession that clearly articulates a socio-political ideology about how the world works and how the world should be.” Ryczek was also the professor who declared in an email to Felkner, “I revel in my biases.” Leaving his role as director of Field Education at the RIC School of Social Work, Ryczek became the executive director of the Rhode Island Coalition for the Homeless.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:32 PM

Here's my favorite part. Read this and keep in mind the number of people here who say there aren't professors who are liberal activist.

Ryczek closed his email saying:
I revel in my biases. So, I think that anyone who consistently holds antithetical views to those that are espoused by the profession might ask themselves whether social work is the profession for them…or similarly, if one finds the views in the curriculum at RIC SSW antithetical to those they hold closely, then this particular school might not be a good fit for them.
Felkner also met with the Chair of the Bachelor Social Work program, Professor Mildred Bates, who refused to countenance his request for SSW to show FahrenHYPE 9/11. "It's not going to happen," she said. "We hope that all social workers are liberal."

Old 04-04-2009, 01:42 PM

Oh here's one I forgot about
Teacher says inflammatory letter was part of lesson plan - Chico Enterprise Record

Chico resident Michael Hill said he was told by his daughter, Kaytlen Hill, 13, that the assignment was to have parents sign the letter and return it to class Wednesday. "The lesson being taught in class was that the U.S. kidnaps innocent people and takes them to Cuba, where they are kept indefinitely and tortured," Hill said he learne

He said his daughter broke into tears when she talked about Brooks mentioning illegal wiretaps and other surveillance directed against innocent people. "I think I was more irritated by the classroom discussion than the letter," he said.
d through his daughter.
His daughter reportedly told him the letter was an assignment, and she'd be in trouble if he didn't sign it.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:49 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,533,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
That's part of the manual, too. All possible responses and replies are spoon fed.
So if anybody refutes your cozy little liberal ideas, then they are trolls, and if they dare counter any one of your lame points, then "that's part of the manual".

Old 04-06-2009, 05:54 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,533,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Look, I don't think this kid exists, but for the fun of it--What kind of normal kid frets about not agreeing with their professor's political philosophies? This is a battle that most children fight with their parents during the period of personal development when you separate yourself from your parents. Obviously this kid (if he/she even exists, which I doubt) never did this, and they're transferring what they should have done with their parents to their professors.

God help professors if this is what's being launched at them from the living rooms of conservative america.
Reading comprehension? My daughter is still in high school. What's more, she isn't the subject of this thread. It's my daughter's FRIEND. And she has been forewarned by older friends of hers. And from the books others point to in here, the problem isn't isolated.

No wonder you are having trouble with this concept. You can't even get details of the story right.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:05 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,388,562 times
Wait, you mean universities exist where you get into these heated philosophical debates with professors, as opposed to them just blabbering on for an hour?

Old 04-06-2009, 06:18 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,063,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Let me say this first off. I won't make this political, and I will not specify ideology; I will speak in generic terms so as to discourage flaming. Only respond if you can stick to the topic and my question.

Our friend's daughter is a high school senior. She wants to be an attorney someday. She believes she will be accepted at Cornell, Virginia, and Wake Forest. She is planning on majoring in history as an undergrad.

Here is the question. She has been warned by friends who have taken the same path that she will encounter professors with a very different ideology from hers. History is a subject that is especially open to interpretation. They tell her she will face this dilemma in taking tests: Either she will have to regurgitate the professor's political opinions in order to get a good grade; or she will stick to her guns, give answers which may be counter to the teacher's, and likely suffer grade consequences. One of her friends said it's best just to play the game, get along, then get out and fight battles that really matter. Had I had this dilemma as a student, I don't think I would have played ball. I would have probably taken my lumps.

In some cases, you don't have options as to the teacher. How do you navigate this potential minefield? Anyone?
Perhaps history and her choices of Universities should be revisited. She will need the grades to get into law school and if she wants to go to one of highly competitive schools she needs to play the game to get the grades and recommendations.
http://education.yahoo.com/college/essentials/articles/college/planning_ahead_law_school.html (broken link)
http://www.law.columbia.edu/jd_appli...pplicationeval
http://legalcareers.about.com/od/edu...ng/f/Major.htm
Lawyers with an engineering and science backgrounds are particularly in demand in today’s legal market, especially in the field of intellectual property.

Choose to major in an area you love and if you decide that law school is not for you, you can pursue a career in your undergraduate area of study.

The above is from the last link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching