Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,328,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
It is called a Furlough
Ok. That would at least make sense. The post read as though they would simply finish off the year with lower pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 09:49 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,328,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I doubt there will be many pay raises for teachers in MN.

Our state faces over a 4 Billion $$$$$ deficit, and the state budget isn't done yet, but nearly all the plans call for a cut in k-12 funding.

With state workers making wage concessions, why should teachers feel they should be unaffected by a recession and get a wage increase ?
It is interesting to note that during good budget years, when our state workers were getting 4% and 5% COLAs, county teachers received 2%-3% and that was ok.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:14 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,060,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
It is interesting to note that during good budget years, when our state workers were getting 4% and 5% COLAs, county teachers received 2%-3% and that was ok.
Did the state workers also get a step increase on top of their COLA?

Old 05-06-2009, 04:57 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,097,067 times
Will teachers get a negative COLA if the currency deflates?

Hordes of new grads dying for a teaching job....and teachers get a pay raises

Calstrs is still giving COLAs, I wonder how long that is going to last.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:03 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,428,714 times
CalStrs doesn't give COLAs, it's the state of CA after they decide how much moeny they have budgeted to give our schools for the next fiscal school year.

Pay cuts are happening throughout CA. Several school districts in southern CA, LAUSD is one,told their teachers to take a 2% pay cut during these hard times. The teachers near my home in Temecula voted to take a 2% pay cut just to save other teacher's jobs.

Teachers are having to pay part of their health benefits, in my district, if you have Pacific Care. You have to pay 100% increase, which amounts to $210 deducted from your pay check to keep Pacific Care. My district's fully covered Kaiser will cost $11,000 a year, and they are still willing to cover my full benefits, and allow me to get a step raise, which I had to wait 2 years to get because I am almost near the end of the salary scale.

Am I complaining, no. It's a blessing these days to still have a job, with full benefits, and be working for a school district that I had to admittedly say, saved money for a rainy day, $40 million that is, when all they needed to save is 3% of their budget of about 6 million for low budget years.

So if CA voters don't pass props 1A-1C, which will more likely not pass, then school districts have to take another hit, averaging about 16 million dollars in cuts, and thank God my district can absorb those cuts without, like many school district are thinking about, do a mid year RIF of more district employees.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
CalStrs doesn't give COLAs, it's the state of CA after they decide how much moeny they have budgeted to give our schools for the next fiscal school year.

Pay cuts are happening throughout CA. Several school districts in southern CA, LAUSD is one,told their teachers to take a 2% pay cut during these hard times. The teachers near my home in Temecula voted to take a 2% pay cut just to save other teacher's jobs.

Teachers are having to pay part of their health benefits, in my district, if you have Pacific Care. You have to pay 100% increase, which amounts to $210 deducted from your pay check to keep Pacific Care. My district's fully covered Kaiser will cost $11,000 a year, and they are still willing to cover my full benefits, and allow me to get a step raise, which I had to wait 2 years to get because I am almost near the end of the salary scale.

Am I complaining, no. It's a blessing these days to still have a job, with full benefits, and be working for a school district that I had to admittedly say, saved money for a rainy day, $40 million that is, when all they needed to save is 3% of their budget of about 6 million for low budget years.

So if CA voters don't pass props 1A-1C, which will more likely not pass, then school districts have to take another hit, averaging about 16 million dollars in cuts, and thank God my district can absorb those cuts without, like many school district are thinking about, do a mid year RIF of more district employees.

another great response!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,097,067 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? CalStrs must certainly gives out cost of living adjustments! You realize I'm talking about pensions here right?

Quote:
Pay cuts are happening throughout CA. Several school districts in southern CA, LAUSD is one,told their teachers to take a 2% pay cut during these hard times.
You don't get my point. You are talking about furloughs. If the currency deflates will the COLAs adjust downward? They should we are now in a deflationary environment. The COLAs should be zero or negative.

But in the public school system COLA translates into "Just how much more blood can we suck out of the tax payers this year". It seems to have little basis in the actual change in the cost of living. If you know how they calculate it in California I'd love to know.

Quote:
So if CA voters don't pass props 1A-1C, which will more likely not pass, then school districts have to take another hit, averaging about 16 million ...
Yep, I can't wait. It won't end there either, the tax revenue keeps coming in significantly below their estimates.

This is even after they screwed over the self-employed folks by requiring them to front load their estimated tax.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
What are you talking about? CalStrs must certainly gives out cost of living adjustments! You realize I'm talking about pensions here right?

You don't get my point. You are talking about furloughs. If the currency deflates will the COLAs adjust downward? They should we are now in a deflationary environment. The COLAs should be zero or negative.

But in the public school system COLA translates into "Just how much more blood can we suck out of the tax payers this year". It seems to have little basis in the actual change in the cost of living. If you know how they calculate it in California I'd love to know.

Yep, I can't wait. It won't end there either, the tax revenue keeps coming in significantly below their estimates.

This is even after they screwed over the self-employed folks by requiring them to front load their estimated tax.
School district's pay out COLAs to their retirees---not CALSTRS.

I don't get you on furlough. A furlough for teachers is UNPAID DAYS that result in a DEDUCTION IN SALARY--POINT BLANK.

You can't wait for CA to eventually cause you to pay HIGHER INCOME TAXES, as a result of the defeat of props 1A-1C? If they can't get the money from the votes,then CA will do it by ANY MEANS NECESSARY.

MY district owed us a COLA for the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 school district that they basically saved for the rainy day that we are in now--in other words we didn't see any increase in our salaries for two years. We finally settled a COLA raise for this school year, even though the year is almost over when my district had about 6.5 times more money in their reserves than was necessary to keep my district afloat.

For the 2009-2010 school year, THE STATE OF CA WILL NOT PAY OUT ANY COLA TO ANY SCHOOL DISTRICT.

WOW I agree with you in that if the state has no money, then teachers and any state worker should not demand or get a COLA. So, in a sense, we better be fortunate to have a job and our salaries intact.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:19 PM

COLA is probably not the correct term that should be used. It gets used in negotiation but it is not accurate. Pension and Social Security use a formula that is designed to capture cost of living. Teacher COLA are usually negotiated and thus not formula based. It is a way of enhancing teacher salaries and is sometimes above or below any measurable cost of living for the area.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
COLA is probably not the correct term that should be used. It gets used in negotiation but it is not accurate. Pension and Social Security use a formula that is designed to capture cost of living. Teacher COLA are usually negotiated and thus not formula based. It is a way of enhancing teacher salaries and is sometimes above or below any measurable cost of living for the area.
All I know is that when the state of CA says that they are giving my district 4.53 percent in COLA, my school district in turn says that we are only getting 2% because the other 2.53 percent has to go to our benefits and other programs that the district has to pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching