Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:45 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,266,549 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas teachers just took a 4 percent cut. My friend who teachers there called me last night and told me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 07:04 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,092,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Las Vegas teachers just took a 4 percent cut. My friend who teachers there called me last night and told me.
Salary cuts, furloughs OK'ed in budget deal - Las Vegas Sun

Details above

Old 05-08-2009, 07:23 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,581,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Yes I can see it now. Yes the height of professionalism. Now back to the why are teachers not respected thread.
Since we seem to be merging the two, I think the teacher's union is a big part of why teachers aren't treated like professionals. Unions are blue collar. You don't, usually, see unionized doctors, lawyers or engineers.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:28 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,434,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Since we seem to be merging the two, I think the teacher's union is a big part of why teachers aren't treated like professionals. Unions are blue collar. You don't, usually, see unionized doctors, lawyers or engineers.
And maybe if teachers didn't have a union we could make a doctor's salary, but it won't never happen. Wow you gave me the inspiration to start a new thread just because these topics seem to be merging back and forth.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
At this point in time and on this topic we are in FULLLLLLL agreement.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,581,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
And maybe if teachers didn't have a union we could make a doctor's salary, but it won't never happen. Wow you gave me the inspiration to start a new thread just because these topics seem to be merging back and forth.
Without a unioin, districts could get rid of lousy teachers and replace them with good ones who would negotiate their salary coming in, like other professions do.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Without a unioin, districts could get rid of lousy teachers and replace them with good ones who would negotiate their salary coming in, like other professions do.
This is why it is so hard to fire a teacher. How do you define a lousy teacher, especially a teacher who comes to work on time, not molesting kids, scores are not high, but on average lower than the teachers on his grade level in the district? It has become comical, especially when the burden of proof is never proven against a teacher, even when that teacher has done some gross misconduct or inappropriate things with his or her students. It just makes u go back to what the unions are there for--JOB PROTECTION, SALARY, BENEFITS, AND FIGHT TO KEEP YOUR JOB EVEN WHEN YOU ARE ACCUSED AND THE EVIDENCE PROVES YOU ARE GUILTY.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:16 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,340,006 times
Quote:
I feel bad for the kids in your district. They don't deserve this.
You say you aren't getting any pay increase, but you don't want a union. You say you put in 12 hours a day, but you they are cutting your pay. What do you expect? They'll stick it to you because you'll put up with it.

This is why I mentioned earlier about "working to the rule". If you do that once or twice, it doesn't really affect the students. What you are attempting to do is make the point that you putting in many more hours than those for which you are paid. So many think that it all gets done in a 7.5 hour contract day. In an earlier post, you mentioned that you could never get what you needed to get done if you showed up and left at the designated contract times. This is why so many teachers get taken advantage of. They aren't willing to step up and stand up for themselves.

For example, where I live, elected officials listen and respond to the firefighter's union. The firefighters contribute a lot to campaigns and get people elected. Elected officials probably don't feel like they owe you anything. In fact, I hate to say it, but you are an easy target.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
You say you aren't getting any pay increase, but you don't want a union. You say you put in 12 hours a day, but you they are cutting your pay. What do you expect? They'll stick it to you because you'll put up with it.

This is why I mentioned earlier about "working to the rule". If you do that once or twice, it doesn't really affect the students. What you are attempting to do is make the point that you putting in many more hours than those for which you are paid. So many think that it all gets done in a 7.5 hour contract day. In an earlier post, you mentioned that you could never get what you needed to get done if you showed up and left at the designated contract times. This is why so many teachers get taken advantage of. They aren't willing to step up and stand up for themselves.

For example, where I live, elected officials listen and respond to the firefighter's union. The firefighters contribute a lot to campaigns and get people elected. Elected officials probably don't feel like they owe you anything. In fact, I hate to say it, but you are an easy target.
You are 100% right, and elementary teachers seem to get taken advantage of the most. We are requireD to teach middle school IN THE 4TH AND 5TH GRADES that some of our students aren't developmentally ready for, and when the middle school teachers complain about us elementary school teachers not working hard enough, I throw up my hands and tell them, come on down to elementary school, and you would have a very different perspective. I have subbed long term in all middle school grades, and the big difference between middle and elEmentary students is one key word----HORNINESS.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post

Agggh if only teaching was like the real world of working PROFESSIONALS. Individual salary determinants and the ability to negotiate your working conditions or get fired or find another job. We want to be considered Professionals but want to have the AFT strong arm as a Union for us. Or the NEA collectively yell for us. How many PROFESSIONS are so unionized and have their collective lives negotiated and protected for them?

Oh well back to the Why Teachers Aren't Respected thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching